Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:49 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times

Advertisements

I have found out the hard way that some of those jobs are also lost leaders for sales jobs. If I had a dollar for every email I've gotten that started with "Thank you for applying with our company," and ended with an insurance company or real estate company name, I'd have enough for a decent meal at Laurelhurst Meat Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 05:10 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,451,528 times
I was curious about this. Indeed is currently showing 15,305 in the Portland metro area. I live in Vancouver, so I narrowed my search to just the jobs in Vancouver. This brought it down to 1,512, which does look encouraging. Narrowed it further by title ("accountant"), full-time, and employer (vs staffing agency) and I'm left with 5 listings. Based on the salary ranges given for these 5 jobs, four of them pay less than what I make now. The one that pays more than what I currently make I'm not qualified for as I don't have a CPA license.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:30 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,654,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
My friend had over 100 applicants for a PT accounting clerk position. She wondered why some of them applied because they were either way over or nowhere near qualified. As bler mentions, I suspected some of them were trying to meet unemployment requirements.

I haven't looked at indeed as I'm not looking for a job at the moment, but how many of them are from staffing agencies? My experience with them over the years has been the jobs they have posted are not necessarily available but they do bring in new clients who apply for them.
I cruise Indeed from time to time. My skill set opens me up for a wide range of jobs. Not all of them pay well. I see great openings from time to time in the Portland area (not daily). I am surprised at the requirements for some sub 30k jobs.

I bank on experience. Someone with a BS should be able to walk into a 30k a year job. I have guys who did not complete high school working for me making 30k and then some.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:43 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
I think the reduction in Unemployment benefits will fill a lot of the jobs quickly. With out extensions, there is no reason to job shop to keep benefits that don't exist.

And the number one reason for not getting a job is as listed previously. Poor spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, and grammar. It comes from communicating on a cell phone and texting too much.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:23 PM

70 posts, read 212,232 times
Thank you, everyone, for participating in this post! It is greatly appreciated!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I think the reduction in Unemployment benefits will fill a lot of the jobs quickly. With out extensions, there is no reason to job shop to keep benefits that don't exist.

And the number one reason for not getting a job is as listed previously. Poor spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, and grammar. It comes from communicating on a cell phone and texting too much.
Nope, you said it already. The number one reason for not getting a job is the money the state pays people not to work. Since they are about to stop doing that for 1,000,000 people on Jan 1. you will soon be correct in your assumption that its sub par English Composition and Grammar skills that is keeping people from scooping up the plentiful jobs available at places like Box Store Warehouses and Fast Food franchise operations.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland