Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:35 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
For those that don't feel like it's home, but live here.....where is "home"? Or where do you feel most at home? And do you think you'll ever move there?
For myself oahu is home and where my heart is. I also can appreciate Portland for its great things. If I had a choice between Oahu and Staying in Oregon. I would choose Oahu because its my hometown and I feel for me it would be alot healthier for me. The question will always be can one afford hawaii lol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 08:52 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
For myself oahu is home and where my heart is. I also can appreciate Portland for its great things. If I had a choice between Oahu and Staying in Oregon. I would choose Oahu because its my hometown and I feel for me it would be alot healthier for me. The question will always be can one afford hawaii lol?
I know how you feel. I have family on Oahu and family in NYC area and S.F./NorCal still. I have lived in NYC, spent months at a time on Oahu and grew up in S.F. so all feel very special to me. My kids are growing up in Portland so Portland will always be special because of the memories we are creating here as a family. I could easily live in eight cities in the U.S. easily as long as my immediate family is with me. Home to me is where they are and when the kids are grown then my hubby and I will reassess "home". I always consider myself a Californian, though, because I spent the first 26 years of my life there.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:34 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
For those that don't feel like it's home, but live here.....where is "home"? Or where do you feel most at home? And do you think you'll ever move there?
I "make" home where ever I am and make the most of everything. However, the place where I feel the best is Blacksburg, VA where I went to college. It's a great community. At the same time, I have no interest in moving there currently.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:31 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Fairly easy question - Home is WI. Both wife and I were born, grew up , married and mostly raised kids there. Lot's of family friends and memories in WI. IL, IA and MN. However, we feel very little need to live there again. It is nice to know it is there and to go visit - but to live there again? Probably not. Sort of a "been there/done that" kinda thing I guess.

Once we stopped raising kids; this huge need to "see what was over that hill" set in. We like PDX and Oregon and it is a good place to live but I foresee us moving on again in 3-5 years to check out another place too.

We lived in China for 2 yrs and, while not always easy, enjoyed the adventure.

Once you realize you can always change if something isn't right, it becomes a fun way to think.

My wife's sister and husband are approaching retirement and have lived within same 1 mi. radius their entire lives. Good for them I guess but I would have to put a gun to my head.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Fairly easy question - Home is WI. Both wife and I were born, grew up , married and mostly raised kids there. Lot's of family friends and memories in WI. IL, IA and MN. However, we feel very little need to live there again. It is nice to know it is there and to go visit - but to live there again? Probably not. Sort of a "been there/done that" kinda thing I guess.

Once we stopped raising kids; this huge need to "see what was over that hill" set in. We like PDX and Oregon and it is a good place to live but I foresee us moving on again in 3-5 years to check out another place too.

Once you realize you can always change if something isn't right, it becomes a fun way to think.

My wife's sister and husband are approaching retirement and have lived within same 1 mi. radius their entire lives. Good for them I guess but I would have to put a gun to my head.
Wow! I feel like you are reading my mind. I feel pretty much the same way and so glad to see others here with the similar perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:

I like that. Sometimes too, you might find a place that was once a great spot for you changes to the point that for whatever reason is not longer as great for you as it once was. Nobody's fault, things change. Nothing remains static. When that happens, one either goes with the flow or moves on. I realize that is not always possible of course, but in situations where it is, it's kind of exciting to explore new territory.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:19 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
I am now calling myself an Oregonian. I've only been here for a short 5.5 months, but I went "home" this past week to southern California, and guess what? I was homesick.....for Oregon. I didn't really want to leave in the first place, but went. Yes, I enjoyed the sun and the warmth (it was nice to wear short/t-shirt and not feel chilled to the bone). But with everyday that passed, I craved the cooler temps, the chill in the air, and yes, even the rain.

The happiest time was when I got through security at the airport in CA. I sat down and just smiled to myself because I knew I would be home in a few hours. I landed close to 8pm and had to stand out on the tarmac waiting for my luggage. I was in a jeans and a sweatshirt. I was cold, but it felt great and I was so very happy to be home.

I took my dog out the next morning and it was 30 degrees. Everything was iced up. I loved it. I was cold, but again, so happy to be home.

Yup. I am home. This is home. I don't regret moving one bit. I wondered how I'd react going back to SoCal and I think this just proved to me that I didn't make a bad choice, not even close. I may miss my family and friends, but I'd rather miss them and be home, than be there with them and be homesick the entire time.

Has anyone else felt this at home so fast? But then again, I did move here because I felt at home the minute I drove out of PDX the very first time I was here.
The PNW is not a perfect place, but I contend it's still one of the country's best kept secrets to those in the know when you factor everything. I've been all over country. I know.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:51 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
The PNW is not a perfect place, but I contend it's still one of the country's best kept secrets to those in the know when you factor everything. I've been all over country. I know.
Aint no secret anymore.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:06 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times
It remains difficult to recruit people here. For many folks established in their career, Pdx and Oregon may not be the end of the world but you can see it from here.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
It remains difficult to recruit people here. For many folks established in their career, Pdx and Oregon may not be the end of the world but you can see it from here.
+1
Its all relative. Living in NYC, Seattle seemed like an out post. Now that I live in Portland, Seattle seems like a big city. The PNW is unique for sure but certainly not for everbody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland