Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 04:41 PM

319 posts, read 604,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You also need to work on knowing the difference between a comma and a semicolon, and I would also suggest making friends with the Oxford comma unless you're an employee of an Associated Press publication.
Thanks so much for keeping on-topic with the forum title.

I always wondered what people would do with an English degree...

Old 01-18-2014, 04:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope-C14 View Post
Thanks so much for keeping on-topic with the forum title.

I always wondered what people would do with an English degree...
You missed again. Anyway, I'm guessing that the problems you experienced here socially were of your own making. Have a great day, and I hope that the current social climate where you work is a happier one for you.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:45 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,163 times
Quote:
There's a difference between acknowledging that a stereotype exists and asserting that the stereotype is the norm.
My take is a bit different. If you tell someone not to behave like a stereotypical Texan, I think you are asserting that there is a recognizable behavior that is the norm in Texas (that is "you" as a general term, not you specifically). Fine enough. But to then deride others for doing the same is inconsistent.

It is the same act of categorizing people that is occurring in this thread, no more or less. There wouldn't be much point in a discussion forum if people refrained from sharing their observations. But to use my posts as an example, to call my life experiences/observations of the existence of this attitude ”insane" and "bigoted" simply because they differ from those of someone else is over the top. And there are thousands of ways to say it better, but that takes more effort.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:01 PM

319 posts, read 604,447 times
Quote:
You missed again. Anyway, I'm guessing that the problems you experienced here socially were of your own making. Have a great day, and I hope that the current social climate where you work is a happier one for you.
Yep. I'm clearly socially messed up. I totally agree, it's my fault for not figuring out the Rosetta stone of communicating with anti-social introverts. I also resort to ad hominem arguments when trying to explain something. I have no vested interest in getting a point across. I also have no interest in alerting people to problems that they could fix as a society (possibly) by addressing these problems in elementary schools.

Of course I'm wrong, as there aren't hundreds of different threads that say the people of the PAC-NW are among the most unpleasant people in the US to be around.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...seattle-3.html

Thanks for the concern regarding my social climate. I'm in one of the best places in the US for that.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:05 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
You're welcome to assert that I'm some kind of bigot. Go for it. Using incendiary words often makes you "right".

Am I making a generalization? Yes. Would I choose to hire someone with an inadequate education? No. Did the majority of people that I met through work, that were natives, have an extremely difficult time co-operating with others and showing other people even the most basic components of respect? Yes.

Is there a "Portland Freeze" there? You bet there is. You might not notice it because of either your age, your social demographic, or some other factor that I do not know, but it's pretty much the same as the "Seattle Freeze".

Humor me here, what % of similar behavior is required to make a generalization invalid? If I say 80% of people are surly/obtuse or grossly incompetent at work, is that an OK amount for a generalization? Now you may say that the cities are "filled with a variety of people" but at 80% I'd kind of like to be warned before I move there. Now for my work history, I was right up at 80% or so, if not 100%.

Anecdotally pointing out you know a unicorn, doesn't change the validity of the generalization, in fact rushing to its defense by pointing out the obvious actually reinforces it.

I have no interest in insulting a specific person, I'm just making a generalization that I noticed, and was enough for me to want to flee that type of social/work situation as fast as humanly possible.

I'd love to say that I've ever worked with a single competent native West-Coaster, but I haven't. In fact the Seattle native with a PhD was arguably one of the worst scientists, least competent human beings I've ever met in my life. I never have problems with those educated/native to the Mid-West, South, or East-Coast. Had good co-workers from TX, AZ and NM as well.

This is an ACTUAL QUOTE from a native Oregonian - "Why do you use such big words? it makes people feel bad."
You say there is. And no, making a generalization is never okay. Why brand the 20% competent (using your statistics) with characteristics of the other 80%. Why not just say 80% of the people I work with are incompetent, and leave it at that. Why brand the entire city, state, region, with similar characteristics? Because you know they're just not true. Any specific set of circumstances could produce your 80% incompetency ... hiring practices, training practices, the industry, etc. That just doesn't make it a characteristic applicable everywhere.

Again. Why are you using an example of ONE PERSON to characterize an entire state? It's ridiculous. And bigoted. Though I have to say, that it certainly seems to indicate what several others have suggested ... it might just be you, and your attitude.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:07 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post

Again. Why are you using an example of ONE PERSON to characterize an entire state?
I don't get it, either. I'm pretty sure there's more to this, though.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-18-2014 at 06:06 PM..

Old 01-18-2014, 05:10 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
Again, can you clear up the assumption you made? Given your spirited response above, I cannot make sense of the following...

What is the difference between suggesting that someone is a stereotypical Texan vs. suggesting there may be a stereotypical Oregonian?

Other than the obvious, ie that it is okay for you to say the former, and wrong for people on this thread to say the latter?
I apologize that my feeble attempt at a joke went so far over your head, and has caused you enough worry to harp on and on and on about it.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:26 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Of course I'm wrong, as there aren't hundreds of different threads that say the people of the PAC-NW are among the most unpleasant people in the US to be around.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...seattle-3.html
That thread was someone asking how people deal with the winter weather in Seattle. Sure though, everyone knows about the "Seattle Freeze" cliches.

At the same time I always find it interesting when transplants to Seattle and Portland blame the social climate they experience solely on "natives", when in my experience both cities are basically dominated by transplants from all over the country these days(of course it varies depending with who and where in the metro you're hanging out with). My girlfriend was born in Portland and people will occasionally say things like "Oh, it's so weird to meet someone who actually grew up here."

Old 01-18-2014, 05:54 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,858,594 times
WORK environment difficulties are not regional, they are mostly driven by company culture.
If company leadership allows silliness, backstabbing and terrible communication styles to permeate, that is what you will get.
I don't care where the company is located on the planet.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
My actual experience when I first moved here at the work place was people telling me that as native Oregonians they considered me as an outsider who was unwelcome because I had taken a job away from an Oregonian. You can't get much more candid than that. I was transferred from my company in Chicago.

The people in the office had already driven out the person who had been transferred before me by being very openly hostile to him for the same reason. I didn't know that before I took the transfer but after I had been there for a few weeks I looked him up and he told me it was quite true. It surprised me a bit because he was one of the nicest people I knew. I just couldn't imagine anyone being mean to him. I had thought he just left because of a better job offer. But I am known for my tenacity and I wasn't going to give in so I dug in.

Of course I tried not to judge all of Portland by this one place, but the question of this thread is about co-workers and these were my co-workers.

Eventually the small office of nine people expanded as new business was taken on and more people were hired. Those included transplants from other cities. Things got better but there was a definite "us" and "them" attitude because the natives, although no longer hostile, still kept to themselves. This was even amongst the new hires who were native Portlanders. Gradually, though, things changed and people began to loosen up and mingle.

I never had this experience again but then the entire climate of Portland was changing and the subsequent places in which I worked always had a mix of people both native Portlanders and those from other cities. Occasionally, I would feel a negative vibe from those who were born here, but it was more along the lines of I was okay now because I was here for a long time but they wished newcomers would ease up on the migration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland