Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 08:04 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
Let's see if this helps our perceptual differences. What you perceive as complaints are my observations. As for name calling, maybe you can help me figure that out, because I'm pretty sure it wasn't me who said "insane and bigoted", and "I apologize that my feeble attempt at a joke went so far over your head, and has caused you enough worry to harp on and on and on about it." I did subsequently make an observation about the iinfamous Oregon attitude® nature of such comments. Is that what you meant?

As for the Deezus response comment - could you provide more info about what it is you find either disturbing or mutually exclusive about those phrases? Cause I'm find your question a bit content light at this point, but I'm sure we can figure out what is bothering you about it if we put our heads together.

As for the Irish crazy thing? I was merely disappointed that it took you so long to notice....
Look ... if I quote you in a post, my response is directed at you. If I don't ... it's not. I must say though, it's interesting that you seem to think it applied to you.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:46 PM

501 posts, read 1,296,339 times
My only corporate world experiences were as I worked my way through college and grad school at a variety of places decades ago. What did not appeal to me back then is nothing compared to this new definition of team work. Conflict coursework, games and personality tests at the workplace? I did start to see a smattering of this in my profession in some of the educational courses, but it was just gaining steam as I was transitioning out. I didn't have a good opinion of it then.

The only thing worse would have been to show up at my classes after working all day to pay for it, only to find one of my classmates playing teacher. Every generation puts their stamp on things, as they well should, as the future briefly belongs to them. So it is what it is, but am glad not to be a part of that aspect.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Look ... if I quote you in a post, my response is directed at you. If I don't ... it's not. I must say though, it's interesting that you seem to think it applied to you.
Wow, what a zinger! Just joking- actually this such a non responsive reply that I'll take a pass rather than make a guess again. I am not sure that you are missing words or missing the point on purpose, so I have no idea how to help with this.

Last edited by sugarsugar; 01-19-2014 at 09:16 PM..

Old 01-19-2014, 09:02 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
I am not in the workplace here in Portland but as a volunteer I have noticed a very snarky attitude from Portlanders. I am amused as I am working for free for people who chair certain events at my kids' school so I am not inclined to take too much of their crap! It's one thing to get paid but deal with attitude for FREE! No way!

Old 01-19-2014, 09:25 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Wow, what a zinger! Just joking- actually this such a non responsive reply that I'll take a pass rather than make a guess again. I am not sure that you are missing words or missing the point on purpose, so I have no idea how to help with this.
Why answer you ... you'd rather guess at people's intentions or motives.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:54 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
My only corporate world experiences were as I worked my way through college and grad school at a variety of places decades ago. What did not appeal to me back then is nothing compared to this new definition of team work. Conflict coursework, games and personality tests at the workplace? I did start to see a smattering of this in my profession in some of the educational courses, but it was just gaining steam as I was transitioning out. I didn't have a good opinion of it then.

The only thing worse would have been to show up at my classes after working all day to pay for it, only to find one of my classmates playing teacher. Every generation puts their stamp on things, as they well should, as the future briefly belongs to them. So it is what it is, but am glad not to be a part of that aspect.
I consider it fortunate that the last place I worked was the only place in which I encountered this type of thing. Then I retired. I thought this was an invasion of my privacy but the younger workers who were much younger than I thought nothing of it. As you say, it is no longer my generation at the helm. I am glad of it too. This was not my first time working for a large corporation but it was the first time I had ever run into this. I don't think it brought people together, I think it made them more wary of one another.

The company was enamored of these silly tests and often sprung them on everyone in all departments. I am old school, you get the work done and make an effort to get along with your co-workers and show up on time, that's all that's needed. They don't need to get inside anyone's head.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Why answer you ... you'd rather guess at people's intentions or motives.
Yep, that is definitely why I pose questions, so I can guess instead.

As none of this is in the slightest bit germane to the thread (or even making sense), this will conclude our OT repartee as we rejoin the thread in progress....

I know, I know, heartbreaking...but not to worry as the original topic is still available for nitpicking!

Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I consider it fortunate that the last place I worked was the only place in which I encountered this type of thing. Then I retired. I thought this was an invasion of my privacy but the younger workers who were much younger than I thought nothing of it. As you say, it is no longer my generation at the helm. I am glad of it too. This was not my first time working for a large corporation but it was the first time I had ever run into this. I don't think it brought people together, I think it made them more wary of one another.

The company was enamored of these silly tests and often sprung them on everyone in all departments. I am old school, you get the work done and make an effort to get along with your co-workers and show up on time, that's all that's needed. They don't need to get inside anyone's head.
Funny you mention invasion of privacy, because I see it that way too. DH and I have had many talks over coffee lately about how our definition of privacy is going the way of the dinosaurs. And fast. I am trying to adjust to it but probably will never be as at ease with the extinction of privacy as the next generations already are.

Your feelings re work mirror mine. In that regard, I'm old school and proud of it.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:50 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I consider it fortunate that the last place I worked was the only place in which I encountered this type of thing. Then I retired. I thought this was an invasion of my privacy but the younger workers who were much younger than I thought nothing of it.
It's because a lot of younger workers are trying to play the game to move up the ladder, so they want to keep their mouth shut so they look like team players. I've been at several places that try those "personalysis" or "strength builder" tests, and most people laugh at them as being fairly pointless. Even when the results do fit the employees--they're so obvious in their results that they can be pointless(guess what, analysts are fairly analytical thinkers, surprise!).

What worried me was when I found out HR and management was actually using the results to place people in positions and teams. The other thing I've learnt to be wary of is any time employers bring in "outside consultants" for anything. No matter what it is, they only make things worse, never better(along with anytime anything is outsourced, especially tech work--they always screw it up).

I think a lot of this though is just related to the BS of the modern office and not really specific to Portland.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:09 AM

94 posts, read 182,835 times
When I 1st moved to Portland I used to think that about the type of people there. Maybe it was subconsious with my mood/the greyness thing or an adjustment period?
My 1st job in Portland was horrible, and filled with the Freeze type social people (I worked in a cubicle). I got offered my 2nd job & it was completely different 10,000 times better, I still miss working there.
I think that I ran into enough Freeze type social people up there that I just sub-consciously blocked them out. Yes I actually am a happy person, we only live once, why be miserable and create a negative cloud that can be felt for a mile away?
I miss Portland a lot, and am planning on moving back there. Was originally thinking in Sept. but I don't want to wait, I'm thinking this Spring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland