Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 02:57 PM

11 posts, read 11,940 times

Advertisements

Hi all

I am looking to relocate to a city that has good transportation and an outdoor climate. When I did a match on a big website portland came up first as having best transportation system and walkability.

I wanted to know the rental prices in portland and if its an expensive city. Im upfront in that I live on disability and dont drive and need a place with reasonable rents and good transportation systems...most of the places with good transportation systems are freezing cold and very expensive.

what areas are walkable? affordable? what does say a studio or 1 bedroom go for a month?

thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 03:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Sites like padmapper.com are always a good source for getting a good idea of what is available and how much it will cost. Then from there you can compare those places to their walkability score which is pretty accurate for Portland.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
This might be of help. Rule of thumb is the better the neighborhood, the better the public transportation, walkablility and other amenities.

Average Rent In Portland, Portland Rent Trends and Rental Comps

Old 01-22-2014, 03:29 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
What's your definition of a 'reasonable rent'? Personally I don't think it's all that reasonable, but that's largely in comparison to local wage/salaries. If you're on a fixed income, it will depend on what your income base is.

The transportation is pretty good, though some areas are better served than others. A studio or 1BR will vary depending on where in the metro you're looking. I'd recommend playing with PadMapper.com. Can you find a studio downtown for $600 +utils? 1 BRs can cost quite a bit more in most of the city, and easily run into 4 figs.

The most affordable option for living in Portland is renting a room in a house or sharing an apt. with roommates. In that scenario you could probably cover rent + utils for 600 or even 500 even in some nice areas. Portland also doesn't have as much apt. stock as some other cities - in some parts of town next to none. Thus part of why renting a room in a home can be much more economical.

Downtown Beaverton still has pretty good transit (bus + MAX) and a 1 BR will be a bit more reasonable. Still, rents have gone up 5-10% here every year the last few years (and some complexes more), so if you'd have to stretch your budget to make it work, I wouldn't count on that lasting.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:06 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
There are a lot of median income buildings in Portland. You can look them up on places like housing connections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: