Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 06:37 PM

34 posts, read 86,382 times

Advertisements

Actually, I don't live in Portland, so I don't know whether it does or not. However, where I live now DOES! I have Portland among a list of possible destinations for relocating, but what I've read on various threads I would like to know if Portland really is as anti-social, uptight, and lacking a social scene as some claim?

Also. is Portland friendly or hostile to business? i.e. problems with bureaucracy, city taxes &c.

One main reason I want to move from here is that the city is overrun with bums and aggressive street vermin. Is that a really bad problem in Portland?

Any other information or recommendations about the city would be appreciated!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:29 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
1.Yes. 2. Hostile, definitely very hostile. Yes, absolutely. 4. For the love of all that is Good and/or Holy, stay away. You asked.

H

Old 01-26-2014, 07:32 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,363 times
All of this is going to depend on who you talk to. It tends to be the same posters all the time and you'll get negative from the negatives and pleasant from the pleasants.

Common sense dictates that people are people and there are all kinds everywhere.
Social problems exist across the country.

Weather is subjective.

Come visit Portland. It's the only way you'll know how you feel about it.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:48 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,363 times
Wait, I just saw that you're in Seattle..um.....given that you're 180 miles away it would probably be more helpful for you to just come visit than spend time on here. And quite frankly if you hate Seattle you probably won't be that excited about Portland either.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Being an Oregonian, I am instructed to tell you to never move there...but feel free to visit and spend your money....oh wait, you are in Seattle, then all I can tell you is get in your car and head south and visit Portland yourself. You will learn more about Portland visiting the city and experiencing it first hand than you will ever learn about it on here.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:54 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minneconjou View Post
Actually, I don't live in Portland, so I don't know whether it does or not. However, where I live now DOES! I have Portland among a list of possible destinations for relocating, but what I've read on various threads I would like to know if Portland really is as anti-social, uptight, and lacking a social scene as some claim?
No. It's the opposite of uptight and anti-social. The social scene is great too if you're into more chill social scenes.

Quote:
Also. is Portland friendly or hostile to business? i.e. problems with bureaucracy, city taxes &c.
Portland is extremely hostile to business.

Quote:
One main reason I want to move from here is that the city is overrun with bums and aggressive street vermin. Is that a really bad problem in Portland?
They aren't a problem for me, but they're everywhere.

Quote:
Any other information or recommendations about the city would be appreciated!
Get a job before moving and temper your expectations. This is a very pretty, fun and affordable American city, not the land of opportunity or Heaven like a lot of people who get disappointed seem to think

Old 01-26-2014, 09:56 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Quote:

Statistically Oregon is about middle of the road, same as Washington regarding taxes and bureaucracy according to every survey and listing I have ever seen.

Portland (actually Multnomah County,) is very friendly to food carts at least. We have about 500 of them now. At least a dozen small businesses open a storefront in the city every month.

But yes, Portland sucks. I can't wait to get out of this hellhole of a city. The only thing keeping me back is the weather. And the mountains, forest, lakes, falls. And the coast. The campgrounds. The food. Cool companies to work for. Oh, and that one street.... But I'm out of here real soon! See ya' Portland!

Old 01-26-2014, 10:11 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Statistically Oregon is about middle of the road, same as Washington regarding taxes and bureaucracy according to every survey and listing I have ever seen.

Portland (actually Multnomah County,) is very friendly to food carts at least. We have about 500 of them now. At least a dozen small businesses open a storefront in the city every month.

But yes, Portland sucks. I can't wait to get out of this hellhole of a city. The only thing keeping me back is the weather. And the mountains, forest, lakes, falls. And the coast. The campgrounds. The food. Cool companies to work for. Oh, and that one street.... But I'm out of here real soon! See ya' Portland!
Oregon is middle of the road for the bolded reasons, which prop it up to its #19 position per Forbes:
The big thing that keeps Oregon up is Labor Supply. Everyone wants to move here, and they all have college degrees. Big marks there, plus opportunity for growth. However, why would any business want to operate in a poor regulatory and economic climate?

Old 01-26-2014, 10:27 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Oregon is middle of the road for the bolded reasons, which prop it up to its #19 position per Forbes:
The big thing that keeps Oregon up is Labor Supply. Everyone wants to move here, and they all have college degrees. Big marks there, plus opportunity for growth. However, why would any business want to operate in a poor regulatory and economic climate?
For the chance to make money and a great highly educated labor pool. Also, I don't think Oregon is a "poorly regulated" state, a highly regulated state, sure, but not a poorly regulated one.

Though most people take these rankings with a grain of salt because they typically don't mean much and rarely go into detail how they decide how states rank in each of the categories. Oh and you forgot to highlight business costs, economic climate, quality of life because all three of those classify as "middle of the road."

Old 01-26-2014, 11:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
However, why would any business want to operate in a poor regulatory and economic climate?
Because, dammit, somebody's got to do it. Put change in the cash register and think of England... ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: