Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 06:53 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: orphaned post

Not so much in the city, the sidewalks and roads are all paved. Unless you are stomping around in muddy fields it isn't going to be a real factor. The only times I had any issue with mud in Portland was when I would walk my dog and that is because I would walk out on the grass with him.

Last edited by delta07; 05-09-2014 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned post reference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 07:00 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Not so much in the city, the sidewalks and roads are all paved. Unless you are stomping around in muddy fields it isn't going to be a real factor. The only times I had any issue with mud in Portland was when I would walk my dog and that is because I would walk out on the grass with him.
Ok thank you,that is good to know. See in my city there are neighborhoods where the front yards go to the street,no sidewalks,just driveways,and a short sidewalk from the driveway to the front door.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:42 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
We done paved over our roads, ya know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Not so much in the city, the sidewalks and roads are all paved. ...
Regrettably, that is not true at all.

Read this: Unpaved roads an affront to values
And this: City considers unpaved-road improvement

Even in the "fabulous" Pearl District, there were unpaved streets until recently. For example, the 13th ave was unpaved until a few years ago right around here

Last edited by skiffrace; 04-30-2014 at 08:55 AM..

Old 04-30-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
Regrettably, that is not true at all.

Read this: Unpaved roads an affront to values
And this: City considers unpaved-road improvement

Even in the "fabulous" Pearl District, there were unpaved streets until recently. For example, the 13th ave was unpaved until a few years ago right around here

Old 04-30-2014, 11:01 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
That makes sense and I'm sure a lot of other Portlanders feel the same way about downtown and that is how they cope as well.

How does that help you deal with tracking mud into your home 8 months of the year,though?
We keep a shoe rack just inside the door and remove our shoes before entering. In the summer they are left outside. Who wants to bring all the things one walks through daily into your living space?

Old 04-30-2014, 11:26 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
My favorite part of Portland is the ARTS.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:53 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Moderator cut: removed reference to orphaned post

I feel like we've had this conversation before, but mud in the east is just worse generally imo.

One big difference is that in the east/midwest you get mud season in the spring, where you get snowmelt and/or a lot of rain before the grass has really grown back in. So any time you do tread off a sidewalk, you're probably in mud. And a really hard rain can cause sidewalk puddles to turn muddy.

In OR, by and large grass persists year round. You might want to take your shoes off when you go back in since you'll track in some wet, but you don't really need a 'mud room.'

Now, if you're talking about playing soccer/ultimate/what have you on a grass field with cleats, then sure, you'll chew through the grass in short order and have a good muddy mess. But I walk to work and cut across fields, and walk along unpaved shoulders year round and don't get muddy. You learn which particular fields turn into a swamp, but really, it's very rare for me to need to clean mud off here [other than sports].

In Ohio or Mass, I was more dedicated in staying on the sidewalks or mud would have been inevitable. Of course, there no one picked up their dog poop either, so even staying on the sidewalk required attentiveness to not pick up brown stuff on one's shoes.

Last edited by delta07; 05-09-2014 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: orphaned post reference

Old 04-30-2014, 08:49 PM

bler144
Quote:
One big difference is that in the east/midwest you get mud season in the spring, where you get snowmelt and/or a lot of rain before the grass has really grown back in. So any time you do tread off a sidewalk, you're probably in mud. And a really hard rain can cause sidewalk puddles to turn muddy.
Exactly! Plus I have two great grandbabies 5 & 3,nuff said.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:10 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
Ah, the Pearl District today. The charm of the stainless-steel appliance with the prices racing towards those of SF or Manhattan. Once upon a time Pearl was indeed a funky, charming place. That was about 20 years ago, before Pearl became kalifornicated to death. As far as "Pearl District is worth the money", in your case it's a clinical case of Choice-supportive bias
Uhh, no, it's a clear case of me enjoying city living and the Pearl wasn't better 20 years ago dude. It was barely even formed 20 years ago. It SUCKED 20 years ago. There is no "choice supportive bias." I lived in Downtown Los Angeles for 4.5 years, loved the downtown there as well (hated L.A. in general, however), and I lived in the suburbs in Portland and in Beaverton, so I knew exactly what I was looking for. And, yes, stainless steel appliances are the best. Was that some sarcastic joke? I'm actually confused by your comment...

The prices are nowhere near NYC or SF, you need to get a clue honestly because you're sounding ridiculous. They are L.A. prices here, which are nowhere near SF. My sister had a two bedroom in SF that rented for more than $3,000 per month and it wasn't even large. NYC you could easily pay $10,000/month or more for what I have right now in the Pearl.

Old 05-21-2014, 03:43 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Quote:

Once upon a time Pearl was indeed a funky, charming place. That was about 20 years ago
HAHA.

Funky and charming only if you liked brewery smells, winos, bums and downtown industrial filth.

If you want to see what downtown Portland looked like in the late eighties/early nineties, watch this movie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drugstore_Cowboy

A lot of scenes were filmed downtown and on the very inner eastside.

Look at the last picture on this web page:
http://www.randybyers.net/?p=2471

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 05-21-2014 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland