Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 01:18 PM

8 posts, read 12,135 times

Advertisements

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts, as I'm thinking of making the move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 03:36 PM

34 posts, read 74,659 times
Favorite things... Probably the weather I prefer rainy winter then snow as I've been around blizzards my whole life in upstate NY... Second the scenery is great lots of stuff to photograph if that's a hobby...Thirdly the food carts lol I love shoving food in my mouth and living in Portland there's definitely no shortage of food. Least favorite I'd say the people and lack of different culture (yes I knew PDX wasn't diverse but decided to try it anyway) now that I'm out of the "honeymoon" stage I'm seeing clearly now this isn't the place for me. I find alot (not all) of people here are just so fake... Not very direct a very passive aggressive attitude and way of life. Then there's the people who claim they're liberal which is fine..just don't disagree with them..lol. Then the lack of culture I like everybody, I like integration not much of that goin on here. I'm not saying Portland is some terrible place because it's a great place just not the place for me...I'm more of a hometown guy so I'm headed back east I am glad I came though as a black male in my early twenties it has been a learning experience and I still have family here so I'll definitely be back to visit... I say visit, if you like it move..it may be a great fit everyone is different!!!

Old 03-01-2014, 04:20 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,925 times
East coast culture is very direct in your face. West Coast culture is not. It's not a Portland thing, it's a west coast thing.

As for integration, I've found there's more integration in Portland than in San Francisco where numbers of every group were so large that people never had to interact if they didn't want to. People tended to stick to their "group" and not mix.

Portland is not for everyone though. But neither is any place!

Old 03-01-2014, 04:31 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
East coast culture is very direct in your face. West Coast culture is not. It's not a Portland thing, it's a west coast thing.

As for integration, I've found there's more integration in Portland than in San Francisco where numbers of every group were so large that people never had to interact if they didn't want to. People tended to stick to their "group" and not mix.

Portland is not for everyone though. But neither is any place!
I miss the laid back culture of the West Coast, it is exhausting dealing with the "in your face" culture of the Northeast every day.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:49 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,862,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I miss the laid back culture of the West Coast, it is exhausting dealing with the "in your face" culture of the Northeast every day.
I tend to disagree as I find it exhausting to figure out what people are really thinking. Laid back can also mean afraid to address real issues.

I have no issue with differences, I just want to know about them so I can react accordingly or figure out a difference angle. The "laid backness" as you call it makes for a very inefficient business model. Too much energy and time getting to root cause and solution.

My comments are geared toward business environment, more than every day life. I agree it is nice not to deal with people getting PO'd about every little thing when out and about.

I moved here for position and career, not because I was looking for a certain lifestyle. I guess this is more of an issue for me.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:05 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,903,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
I tend to disagree as I find it exhausting to figure out what people are really thinking. Laid back can also mean afraid to address real issues.

I have no issue with differences, I just want to know about them so I can react accordingly or figure out a difference angle. The "laid backness" as you call it makes for a very inefficient business model. Too much energy and time getting to root cause and solution.

My comments are geared toward business environment, more than every day life. I agree it is nice not to deal with people getting PO'd about every little thing when out and about.

I moved here for position and career, not because I was looking for a certain lifestyle. I guess this is more of an issue for me.
This plus +1000. For the love of God, just tell me what you're thinking. I'll have so much more respect for you if you can articulate yourself.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:52 PM

892 posts, read 2,393,593 times
I love pretty much everything about Portland, including many of the things some people would list as their "least favorite" things.

One of my least favorite things is definitely reading these EXACT questions on this forum every month, every year, forever.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:20 PM

34 posts, read 74,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
This plus +1000. For the love of God, just tell me what you're thinking. I'll have so much more respect for you if you can articulate yourself.
I second this... I'm glad I'm not alone.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:33 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,151,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I think you guys are mistaking yellow925's use of the word "culture" when it think what was really meant was "African-Americans." Portland isn't lacking in culture, but perhaps it's lacking in the culture he's accustomed to wherever he/she came from.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post

I think the laidback lifestyle stems from the idea that there is more to life than just working. Also, I like the idea of having a business conversation with someone over a pint of beer than to have people yelling at each other that they needed it done yesterday even though they new it couldn't be done until tomorrow.

As for the topic of this thread, just so we don't get too far off topic. I personally love the choices of beer in Portland, whether you are at a bar or at a grocery store. It is easy to find something local and tasty without having **** water Budweiser be your only choice. (Which many bars don't even carry brands like Budweiser.)

I love the bikeability of the city and the fact that it is easy to hop in a car and be in nature in an hour. The Oregon Coast, Mt Hood, a number of wooded parks, heck even going for a nice hike through Forest Park or bike ride around Sauvie Island for a day is so much fun.

The cloudy light rain mild temperature days are my favorite, and whenever I am tired of it I can easily take a vacation trip to someplace more sunny.

Food in Portland is the best, breakfast, lunch, dinner, late night, whatever time it is, there is something amazing to eat. It doesn't matter if it is a high end place or a food cart, there is always something that fits what you are looking for. Breakfast in Portland is a staple for me, I love hitting up one of the many breakfast places in Portland with friends, kill an hour or so waiting to be seated while catching up with friends over coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland