Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 06:37 PM

111 posts, read 171,640 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

So, my wife and I have officially decided to move to Portland (mid to late August). We're looking for a short-term rental to serve as home base while we look for something more permanent. I came across Historic Hawthorne Rentals on Craigslist, and have been in contact with the owner about an apartment. It seems like a pretty good setup, but I can't find any reviews online so I was hoping someone here could chime in with any experience with these folks/properties.

Portland OR Vacation Rental Homes

Any other recommendations for short-term rentals are more than welcome as well. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 08:31 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Don't have any experience with the company, but it'd be a fun area to stay in. They look like nice properties, but not cheap.

Airbnb.com has a much wider selection of monthly rentals, you might want to look at those for comparison.

Old 05-26-2014, 09:15 PM

Thanks Enrico. Airbnb was my first choice, but monthly rates for most of the places I looked at were quite expensive. We figure the best bet is going to be trying to pickup a sublet/sublease.

Came across this place on the sublet forum on CL. Checks all the boxes for us, but the deal seems really good so I'm a bit skeptical.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:31 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Historic Hawthorne rentals used to rent by the night and then they went to doing sublets. They have a good reputation and are owned by a local couple who lives in the Hawthorne area (unless something has changed).

Old 05-27-2014, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Historic Hawthorne rentals used to rent by the night and then they went to doing sublets. They have a good reputation and are owned by a local couple who lives in the Hawthorne area (unless something has changed).
Thanks so much for this feedback. Exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Old 03-03-2016, 11:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,172 times
Don't rent from them!!! Check out and use AirBNB as they guarantee quality of service and basic needs being met such as heat! These people lie and tell you something untrue to get your money and then ignore you and don't provide something as basic as heat! I've had great experiences with AirBnB there is a reason Historic Hawthorne Rentals isn't on this site! Travelers beware! I've never dealt with such an unprofessional group of people, if you stay in a hotel and there is not heat they move you into a new room, here they just ignore you and pretend like nothing is going on. My two year old had to sleep without heat for 3 nights now. Unimpressed.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:57 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
It's not at all suspicious that slam was made by a brand new account created to make this single post.

I have no personal knowledge either way, but it's certainly an...interesting coincidence.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 830 times
Default Did you book?

Hi I know this was a while ago but did you stay with this company? How was it? We booked the duplex but now I'm concerned by things I'm seeing. Thanks!

Old 11-07-2016, 11:43 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
Good catch on the troll bler144.

I've had two experiences w/ airbnb (just to address that comment) and one was awful and the other was perfect. It wasn't airbnb's fault on the first one, the woman was just plain nuts and I was the first person to have rented from her (lesson number one: ck the reviews, and make sure they have plenty of them). I complained and was shocked when airbnb refunded nearly all of my money because I had to split the scene from the problem place after one day, and I had prepaid for five. So no complaints. Do your research though, and talk to the people by email to get a feel for things before committing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: