Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 11:27 AM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, all the Confederate flag stands for is racism in the Northwest, usually some hick is showing it off like he has any clue what it means besides not liking black people.
Are you doing long distance mind reading? How do you know what's in the minds of the people who display confederate flag stickers.

Maybe these people haven't gotten the news that a certain group of people have decided that these flag stickers denote racism - that's something fairly new.

It seems that every day something new is declared racist - it's hard to keep up.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:38 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,338,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
... ...

It seems that every day something new is declared racist - it's hard to keep up.
I like your comment.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:01 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I get the feeling you are just looking to pick an argument from the east coast this morning.

The Show "Dukes of Hazard" and the centerpiece "General Lee" is a perfect example of the use of the "Stars and Bars" without racial overtones. And it directly relates to the OP's comment about it decorating cars along their route.

Being proud of the south is no more racial than showing pride in say "The Son's of Norway".

You have to ask yourself why some one would look at a Confederate Flag License Plate and assume racism, unless they had racist connotations in their own mind.

Every time I see a black man, or a Latino, or an Asian, I don't think race. Why would I think race when I see a "Stars and Bars"?

Well in that case I might think race just to see if I can get to the next stoplight before that big Hemi.
In Oregon the chances of someone being from the south or a big Dukes of Hazzard fan showing off the Confederate flag is slim to none.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Are you doing long distance mind reading? How do you know what's in the minds of the people who display confederate flag stickers.

Maybe these people haven't gotten the news that a certain group of people have decided that these flag stickers denote racism - that's something fairly new.

I highly doubt that, and the Confederate flag has been tied to racism for a long time now, the War ended a long time ago and the Confederacy ended with it.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
In Oregon the chances of someone being from the south or a big Dukes of Hazzard fan showing off the Confederate flag is slim to none.
Being as how you are in New York, I don't know how you would know that, but it is irrelevant as you would be wrong anyway.

It doesn't really matter as having the flag or a replica still says nothing about their feelings towards any race.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Being as how you are in New York, I don't know how you would know that, but it is irrelevant as you would be wrong anyway.

It doesn't really matter as having the flag or a replica still says nothing about their feelings towards any race.
Maybe you should ask people who display the Confederate flag in Oregon what their reasoning is seeing you are no longer in the running for any elections. I would bet it has nothing to do with their Confederate family ties.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:14 PM

I suppose I could, but since I live here I interact with many of them daily, so I am making my comments from personal knowledge. Why do they have to be confederate in the first place. Your inference is that only confederates display the flag, or that all confederates are racist, or that all those displaying the flag must be racist because they display a symbol that you in your narrow view consider racist.

As I said. Racism in this symbol is in the eye of the beholder. It is called closet bigot.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I suppose I could, but since I live here I interact with many of them daily, so I am making my comments from personal knowledge. Why do they have to be confederate in the first place. Your inference is that only confederates display the flag, or that all confederates are racist, or that all those displaying the flag must be racist because they display a symbol that you in your narrow view consider racist.

As I said. Racism in this symbol is in the eye of the beholder. It is called closet bigot.
Nice attempt at spin, but only someone under a rock doesn't know what the meaning of the Confederate flag means these days, especially in Oregon. Do you know a lot of people in Oregon who wave the Confederate flag in Oregon Steve?

Old 05-28-2014, 12:29 PM

I am not under a rock. I have lived in the south, and I know only a small percentage of those who have an Confederate flag who are racist.

It seems to me you are trying to foment some hate speech on the forum. Your only goal is to create a racist connotation towards those who decorate their cars with confederate flag symbols.

The first official national flag of the Confederacy, often called the "Stars and Bars", was flown from March 4, 1861 to May 1, 1863, and is a symbol of the confederacy, not racism.

And yes I do.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:46 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,025,495 times
Any and all Confederate flags are symbols of racism and always have been. I knew that 50 years ago growing up in New Jersey and it's been true in every state I've lived in (five so far) or visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland