Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 01:37 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast617 View Post
Updating my status to this post. I see there are other people having issues with work in Portland.

If you read back through the posts I showed up here in May and stayed till June. I was able to get a **** job in IT for barely 45k within 60 days. It was in Tigard not Portland. My mother got sick with cancer and I moved to Tampa FL to take care of her. It took me about all of an hour and a half to line up three contract jobs and a full time position with Verizon. Too bad I hate Florida. My mom is kind of in a better place so I moved back to Portland where the rest of family is.

It took me 10 days in Portland to find a job in IT but again it is in ****ING Tigard.

I didn't move 3k+ miles to live and work in Tigard, this is NOT Portland. I wanted a job downtown and live on the east side and just bike to work. I am stuck in the SW hills and it is boring as ****. Every week I look for work downtown and for what I do there is about 2 to 4 postings a months. The SADDEST downtown job market I have ever seen.

Hardly a major city, not a tech hub in the least bit. I mean the city has been fighting "UBER" for months now despite petitions of citizens asking to allow the service in PDX.

I been here at this "job" if you want to call it a job for over 60 days. It is temp for less money than I made in Boston and the same **** money I made in Florida. I have no benefits, I have no time off and holidays are not paid. Maybe talk of going perm but in the long run I think I gave this place a shot and I will just go back to the east coast where I belong and where there is real work for real money.

To sum up Portland is a small provincial inbred city. The people act nice but in the long run are a bunch of douche bags. It is also the whitest place I have ever been, which isn't a good thing. Food is just as much as the Boston. The rent is a little less but when you take it in the ass 10-15k less a year then it all works out to be the same.

I am going to finish up this work contract or until I want to stab my eyes out and move back to Boston in the spring.

Only reason I post this is just in case there is another IT administrator out there thinking of moving here....DON'T.

Save your money, time and effort.....this place reeks of financial misery.
"Inbred"...really? You do realize that since Massachusetts is a really old state and residents that have lived amongst themselves for a really LONG time...there is probably more peeps there that are inbred. Just saying. And yes, you should go back to the East coast ...and have a great day!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 01:40 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
We shopped in Hudson County for groceries. I also feel like I know where my food comes from here, something that I felt lacked during the couples years we lived in Jersey.

We are paying $900 for a big two bedroom just south of Sellwood with a 6.5 mile commute to downtown. Something I can do in about 30 minutes on bike using the Springwater Corridor. There are plenty of deals below $1300 if you know where to look, though a lot of transplants here see $1300 and think that is a deal.

Though $1300 for a one bedroom is way too much unless that building is brand new and top of the line.
AMEN! Try to find a decent avocado in Hudson County for less than $3. Hey, I do that everyday here in Portland! The food quality here for the price is incredible! My family can afford to eat organic produce and dairy every day of the week.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:15 PM

8 posts, read 10,451 times
Quote:
So in other words, Portland doesn't have a lot of IT jobs....have you tried Seattle, it sounds like you might like it there more....or Boston, sounds like you would like Boston much more than Portland.
Yah urbanlife I don't think Portland has the volume of tech jobs I am looking for.

I went to Seattle and I wasn't that impressed. I have more going on for me in Seattle than Portland as far as friends but at this point if I am going to live in another big city I think it is back to Boston.

Hay I gave it a try and it didn't work out for me. Doesn't mean it wont work out for someone else or maybe they are OK working 10 miles away from everything. I don't like driving at all, I am from Boston...cars suck. I was hoping to get something downtown as far as work. Pick up a more expensive apartment and not have a car. But that is close to impossible when there are no jobs downtown...... it is kind of a scam. I read up on working downtown and living on the east and biking over to get to work. It was rated top 10 places to live with balance of work and life. Yah sounded to good to be true cause your ass will never work downtown. I am not going to live on the east and commute to Tigard and go over a bridge and sit in traffic for 45 mins. I will end jumping off one of those bridges for sure.

I already want to kill myself.

So before that happens I am going back to Boston in 60-90 days.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Quote:
Yah urbanlife I don't think Portland has the volume of tech jobs I am looking for.

I went to Seattle and I wasn't that impressed. I have more going on for me in Seattle than Portland as far as friends but at this point if I am going to live in another big city I think it is back to Boston.

Hay I gave it a try and it didn't work out for me. Doesn't mean it wont work out for someone else or maybe they are OK working 10 miles away from everything. I don't like driving at all, I am from Boston...cars suck. I was hoping to get something downtown as far as work. Pick up a more expensive apartment and not have a car. But that is close to impossible when there are no jobs downtown...... it is kind of a scam. I read up on working downtown and living on the east and biking over to get to work. It was rated top 10 places to live with balance of work and life. Yah sounded to good to be true cause your ass will never work downtown. I am not going to live on the east and commute to Tigard and go over a bridge and sit in traffic for 45 mins. I will end jumping off one of those bridges for sure.

I already want to kill myself.

So before that happens I am going back to Boston in 60-90 days.
There it is, it sounds like Boston and the east coast in general is probably a much better fit for you for obvious reasons. That said, you have learned that Portland's tech industry isn't in downtown Portland, it never has been. There is a reason why we call Washington County Silicone Forest, much of our tech jobs are out in the suburbs. That doesn't mean there isn't plenty of industry in downtown Portland, just not the type of industry you were looking for.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
"Inbred"...really? You do realize that since Massachusetts is a really old state and residents that have lived amongst themselves for a really LONG time...there is probably more peeps there that are inbred. Just saying. And yes, you should go back to the East coast ...and have a great day!

Laughable, Massachusetts is THE most educated state in America. That isn't up for debate or retort.

Tigard is only a few mile away from Portland city, there you will encounter red neck racist morons on a daily basis.......complete **** hole. Go east 15 miles from Portland let me know what you find....same thing.

You would have to drive over 80! miles in MA from Boston to get any thing close to that.

Seriously Portland OR is like Manchester NH.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:40 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,171,711 times
Quote:
........There is a reason why we call Washington County Silicone Forest, .....
I thought the strip clubs were in Portland.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
There it is, it sounds like Boston and the east coast in general is probably a much better fit for you for obvious reasons. That said, you have learned that Portland's tech industry isn't in downtown Portland, it never has been. There is a reason why we call Washington County Silicone Forest, much of our tech jobs are out in the suburbs. That doesn't mean there isn't plenty of industry in downtown Portland, just not the type of industry you were looking for.
Yep totally true just not enough for me downtown.

Too few job postings competing with well over 100k people looking to apply if not more.

Yes most of the tech work is out in Beaverton, Tigard and Hillsboro which is a death sentence for someone like me. True I would have a lot of cool Hindu folks to hang with but not really what gets me through the day.

Another 60-90 days I will have enough money to move on.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:58 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Quote:
Yep totally true just not enough for me downtown.

Too few job postings competing with well over 100k people looking to apply if not more.

Yes most of the tech work is out in Beaverton, Tigard and Hillsboro which is a death sentence for someone like me. True I would have a lot of cool Hindu folks to hang with but not really what gets me through the day.

Another 60-90 days I will have enough money to move on.
Well good luck with your move.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:17 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,475 times
My employer is on the south side of downtown and we have more than a dozen IT openings right now, but they're for engineers and managers rather than sysadmins.

Careers in Portland - CDK Global

Old 12-30-2014, 04:19 PM

892 posts, read 1,592,500 times
Quote:
Laughable, Massachusetts is THE most educated state in America. That isn't up for debate or retort.

Tigard is only a few mile away from Portland city, there you will encounter red neck racist morons on a daily basis.......complete **** hole. Go east 15 miles from Portland let me know what you find....same thing.

You would have to drive over 80! miles in MA from Boston to get any thing close to that.

Seriously Portland OR is like Manchester NH.
To say there's no racist morons in Revere is laughable. There's a reason everyone from the state is called a M***hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland