Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:32 PM

854 posts, read 1,483,155 times

Advertisements

It dawned on me that Pioneer Place, the "new" mall downtown, was actually built in the late 80s and opened in 1990! So really it's about a quarter century old, at least the first half of it that was built.

I went there for the first time in 2007 and it still felt like a new mall but I went there again recently and realized how "80s" it looks and feels. It doesn't seem like it's very popular either, it's never empty but I never see large numbers of people there either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 06:11 PM

609 posts, read 808,788 times
It does looks pretty 80's. I love Pioneer Place though. It's so nice to have a place to walk around during the gloomy rain.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:12 PM

609 posts, read 808,788 times
Come to think of it though, I think Pioneer Square looks very 80's.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:43 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,710,306 times
Very 80's feel, but at least there are people in there. Some malls are like ghost towns now-a-days.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
The mall is probably due for a renovation to upgrade the interior of it. Though I am happy they did something most downtown malls don't do, which is keep with the city grid rather than block off several streets with a big mall.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:13 AM

90 posts, read 155,742 times
Malls in general are very 80's....

Old 06-25-2014, 05:19 PM

240 posts, read 483,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierhobo View Post
Agreed; I don't care for malls at all, prefer small shop/boutique shopping.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:29 PM

18 posts, read 166,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierhobo View Post
lol.

North American 'downtowns' are generally 80's too; a lot of Portland's, Seattle's, and Van BC's downtowns are rotting relics from the 80s/90s building boom. I see more new buildings and modern infrastructure in Guangdong than in the PNW.

A big retail renovation of downtown would be huge for Portland business in my opinion.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:40 PM

741 posts, read 915,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Śebb View Post
lol.

North American 'downtowns' are generally 80's too; a lot of Portland's, Seattle's, and Van BC's downtowns are rotting relics from the 80s/90s building boom. I see more new buildings and modern infrastructure in Guangdong than in the PNW.

A big retail renovation of downtown would be huge for Portland business in my opinion.
The problem is, retail in general is being killed by the internet. Its been dying a slow death for 20 years now.
As is usual, people had the 'idea' right in the late 1990's when they got so excited investing in such a disruptive technology, they just underestimated how long it would take for the full effect of eCommerce to start making an actual difference. We're finally starting to see it.

Let there be no doubt. The 'commercial real estate' world gets a lot smaller when its limited to service industry renters and stuff too big to ship. Add in the effect of big box stores, we're still HUGELY over capacity as far as commercial real estate goes. There aren't enough hair salons, pawn shops, convenience stores, payday advance lenders, coffee shops and "We Buy Gold" places to soak up the difference.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:52 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
The problem is, retail in general is being killed by the internet. Its been dying a slow death for 20 years now.
As is usual, people had the 'idea' right in the late 1990's when they got so excited investing in such a disruptive technology, they just underestimated how long it would take for the full effect of eCommerce to start making an actual difference. We're finally starting to see it.

Let there be no doubt. The 'commercial real estate' world gets a lot smaller when its limited to service industry renters and stuff too big to ship. Add in the effect of big box stores, we're still HUGELY over capacity as far as commercial real estate goes. There aren't enough hair salons, pawn shops, convenience stores, payday advance lenders, coffee shops and "We Buy Gold" places to soak up the difference.
Are you talking about malls in general or Pioneer Place specifically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: