Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 11:00 PM

67 posts, read 83,375 times

Advertisements

So we've tried renting a place... But we have animals. It seems that doesn't fly in America's most dog friendly city. So we tried buying. And tried again... But we keep getting outbid. Love the neighborhood. Good schools, close to life, close to transit, awesome park. Are there any other comparable neighborhoods that we should focus our search on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 10:15 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
What is your rental budget and what is your buying budget?

Old 06-29-2014, 11:29 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,500,212 times
Laulerhust, along with Sellwood and a few other "close-in" areas, is among the most overhyped and not "worth it" places in PDX metro area. Yes, it is near downtown. How much does it matter?
The price you pay for that "convenience" : expensive, old (=impractical, high maintenance) houses, claustrophobic lots with neighbors looking at your living room and, to top it off, gangs from nearby North Portland (PDX implementation of slums) periodically invaiding the neighborhood.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:32 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
and, to top it off, gangs from nearby North Portland (PDX implementation of slums) periodically invaiding the neighborhood.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:46 AM

629 posts, read 1,175,518 times
Quote:
Laulerhust, along with Sellwood and a few other "close-in" areas, is among the most overhyped and not "worth it" places in PDX metro area. Yes, it is near downtown. How much does it matter?
The price you pay for that "convenience" : expensive, old (=impractical, high maintenance) houses, claustrophobic lots with neighbors looking at your living room and, to top it off, gangs from nearby North Portland (PDX implementation of slums) periodically invaiding the neighborhood.
Just genuinely curious as to which neighborhoods you feel *are* worth it in the pdx metro?

Old 06-29-2014, 11:47 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Perhaps if you look for short term rental, Laurelhust might work. OTOH, no chance in hell I'd buy a house in an area where the crime map looks like this.

For a comparison, here is a crime map of a "non-walkable", "non-diverse", typical Beaverton neighborhood where rents and house prices are 30% to 40% less.

I use quotes in the "non-walkable" phrase because in fact is it at least as walkable, and far more livable than almost any of the "popular" neighborhoods frequently mentioned here.

Quote:
Just genuinely curious as to which neighborhoods you feel *are* worth it in the pdx metro?
Here is a genuine reply:
Start with the crime map of PDX metro area:

(BTW, I cannot find the region-overview crime map any longer on portlandmaps.com site. Perhaps the city removed it for "political correctness" reasons)

Select an area that is acceptable to you and, if you are working, close to your job.

Then go to this map to find look for houses in your price range.

Where is it "worth it" in most general terms? Anywhere but Multnomah county, which leaves us with Washington and Clackamas counties, for reasons ranging from crime rates to tax rates to home prices to economy etc. - a subject that has been discussed in this forum previously. If your job is on Washington side, Vancouver is an excellent place to live for similar reasons.

Last edited by skiffrace; 06-29-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Perhaps if you look for short term rental, Laurelhust might work. OTOH, no chance in hell I'd buy a house in an area where the crime map looks like this.

For a comparison, here is a crime map of a "non-walkable", "non-diverse", typical Beaverton neighborhood where rents and house prices are 30% to 40% less.
Yeah, Laurelhurst is expensive, I can't afford to buy in the nice part there, though just going a few blocks east prices drop from the priciest part. I was rolling my eyes at your assertion that Laurelhurst has "gangs from nearby North Portland (PDX implementation of slums) periodically invaiding the neighborhood". I know the incident you refer to, some black kids got in a fight with some white dorks near the basketball court. And then there were some popcorn headlines on Fox 12 for people who don't live anywhere near that neighborhood to get worried about... It was a rare couple of incidents in the same week. I go past Laurelhurst every fricking day to get home, it's not a place I'm worried about in terms of safety at all.

Basically if you don't leave your bags in your car, you've cut out the risk of the #1 crime in SE Portland. That specific area is not a crime-filled neighborhood, nor is it very dangerous.

Are you are real estate agent in Beaverton? You seem to be adamant that no one should even give a passing consideration to living in Portland(even those of us that work in Portland) and everyone should live in a quiet cul-de-sac out on the Westside. Beaverton is fine if you work out there or want to live in a nice McMansion up on Bull Mountain, but why would someone move across the country to live there if they didn't work in Washington County?

Last edited by Deezus; 06-29-2014 at 12:48 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 12:55 PM

629 posts, read 1,175,518 times
Ah, so it's not just Laurelhurst, but the entire PDX metro you don't like.

As someone born and raised in cities, I've seen much worse crime. Looking at that map, looks like 90% of it is car-related theft (I don't plan on having one in PDX).

I've been in horrifying L.A. shootouts -- Laurelhurst is not scary

Old 06-29-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Are you are real estate agent in Beaverton?
I am not, and I don't live in Beaverton - I live in Garden Home in unincorporated Washington county, next to SW Portland.

Quote:
why would someone move across the country to live there if they didn't work in Washington County?
I moved to Beaverton 20 years ago from Philadelphia, while my job was in downtown Portland. I cite Beaverton as an example of a great place to live that is routinely ignored here in lieu of areas that are more expensive, have more crime, worse schools and fewer employment opportunities.
On subject of employment opportunities: Washington county (where Beaverton is located) is the real economic powerhouse of PDX metro area: Intel , IBM, Sequent, Tektronix, Columbia, Nike and many others provide tens of thousands of well paying jobs to the region, and export their products world-wide.
Compare it with Portland-proper employers: couple of insurance companies (Standard, ODS) + a lot of coffee shops and tattoo parlors. If it wasn't for OHSU and Daimler, you could almost cite Portland as an example where "economy is based on washing each-others socks" (saying attributed to Mark Twain)

Quote:
Ah, so it's not just Laurelhurst, but the entire PDX metro you don't like.
You are from LA, then Las Vegas. Your knowledge of our region is based on travelling with your finger on the maps, so your non-sequitur comment is understandable.
I LOVE Pacific Northwest (see my location) I lived in 5 countries on 2 continents, and this is the best place so far.
However, Portland <> PDX Metro <> PNW.
Portland, with its tattooed hipsters and obnoxious panhandlers, mediocre schools, extortionist water rates and mis-spent taxpayers funds is not necessarily representative of this region.
I do have a good deal of fondness for Portland proper though, and even go there every now and then.
However, I know better not to live there.

Quote:
As someone born and raised in cities, I've seen much worse crime. Looking at that map, looks like 90% of it is car-related theft (I don't plan on having one in PDX).

I've been in horrifying L.A. shootouts -- Laurelhurst is not scary
Perhaps, but we have different, higher standards here for what constitutes "safe" neighborhood.
Don't have a car to worry about car break-ins? Lucky you. Most people do, and not having to worry about your car broken into, or house burglarized rates much higher on average person "livability" scale than "coffee shops and restaurants a few blocks away" (the typical 'walkable neighborhood' mantra)

Last edited by skiffrace; 06-29-2014 at 01:46 PM..

Old 06-29-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I am not, and I don't live in Beaverton - I live in Garden Home which is unincorporated Washington county, next to SW Portland.
C'mon, you can't even tell the difference when you drive from Beaverton over the border to Garden Home--it's basically Beaverton Jr....

Quote:
I moved to Beaverton 20 years ago from Philadelphia, while my job was in downtown Portland. I cite Beaverton as an example of a great place to live that is routinely ignored here in lieu of areas that are more expensive, have more crime, worse schools and fewer employment opportunities.
On subject of employment opportunities: Washington county (where Beaverton is located) is the real economic powerhouse of PDX metro area: Intel , IBM, Sequent, Tektronix, Columbia, Nike and many others provide tens of thousands of well paying jobs to the region, and export their products world-wide.
Compare it with Portland-proper employers: couple of insurance companies (Standard, ODS) + a lot of coffee shops and tattoo parlors. If it wasn't for OHSU and Daimler, you could almost cite Portland as an example where "economy is based on washing each-others socks" (saying attributed to Mark Twain)
Yes, and I already said if one works on the west side of the West Hills it's better to live over in Washington County. I work in the utility industry and my fiancee works in finance so despite the reputation of Portland as not having jobs, the jobs that support our moderately comfortable standard of living are in located in central Portland. Beaverton is fine if you're in your 40s or older, have kids, or work out there. If you're under the age of 35 and didn't go to high school there and don't work there(and especially if you're single), it's pretty boring even for a suburb(though Uwajimaya's and Yuzu are great if you like Japanese food). Like I said I'd consider it if I worked out there, (which I might end up again some day), though my fiancee who grew up here has no interest in ever moving to the western suburbs.

Quote:
Most people do, and not having to worry about your car broken into, or house burglarized rates much higher on average person "livability" scale than "coffee shops and restaurants a few blocks away" (the typical 'walkable neighborhood' mantra)
People are stupid, some of us like to go do dumb things like go to bars and restaurants and see music and go to events and socialize with likeminded people in our age group and pay a premium to live close to such things... Just like my grandparents paid extra to live near a view of a big muddy lake for their retirement when they could've just paid half as much ten miles away and just driven to the damn lake for how much they actually went there. Oh well, it was their choice though, so people will pay for the location they really want(or can afford).

On the subject of crime, I've only personally known one person that's been burglarized in Portland in the 11 years I've lived here--the most frequent crime is auto break-ins which are mostly prevented by just not leaving anything in your car.

Last edited by Deezus; 06-29-2014 at 02:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland