Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:57 PM

14 posts, read 39,074 times

Advertisements

@AndyAMG; that is really disgusting when someone uses their kids as a "welfare scam" because they are counting on your not wanting to turn out kids.Ugh!!Those are the people who don't deserve kids.

Long ago, poor people would not have done that.Even if you're poor,you usually took care of your kids as well as you could,without soaking any one else for it.My parents were very poor, at one point, but they still did everything they could, themselves, to make sure we had basic support,and a roof over our heads,My dad built our house himself.;they drilled a well for water; we had a clean and safe "outhouse" way in the back,they made.I didn't even realize we were poor,when I was little,because my parents did everything they could,to take care of us.They planted a whole orchard, and vegetable garden, and we had good food.My parents really worked HARD.They worked at several different jobs.My sister and I even went to college, cause my parents scrimped and saved every penny.We all worked, all of us.Kids and students had jobs during the summer.

Poor people have CHANGED.I don;t understand where any self-reliance, pride or willingness to work hard, went.My dad would never have abandoned his kids, left, and stuck them on the state,Even if he hated being a dad,or had difficulties supporting a family, he wouldn't have dumped them.People did not DO THAT,back then.He had cancer,but our neighbors helped us.We helped our friends too, there were wonderful people here then.Now, I don't even know my neighbors, except for the 80 yr. old couple, a couple houses down, and THEY are really nice, like that.--and they're natives, here, too.

I guess I'm showing my age. But it is very disconcerting, as to how people in Oregon have CHANGED.There have always been poor people here,but they didn't act that way.My sister's friends' mom was alone,and she did several cleaning jobs,to support them.Her daughter worked, AND she went to LCC, college,got business and cosmetology degrees,went to a big city,worked her way up to big wages and got computer skills.She was the daughter of a poor mom,but she worked her way out of it.She worked hard, all her life.(baby boomer generation.) Even poor Oregonians could work their way out of it.And we did!! So, yes, I just don't understand the poor any more. We didn't ACT poor,even if we were.(sorry for the rant, you can remove this if you like.I don't have any right to rant, sorry.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 02:32 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,709,749 times
Crappy situation but it might be easier and cheaper to pay him to leave.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:23 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
Quote:
I guess I could see someone not wanting to go near a courtroom if they had a warrant or something.
That's one reason, but in general the people who find themselves in this situation are too stupid to pay rent even when an agency is paying half or more aren't all that bright to begin with (uneducated and borderline illiterate). They are generally ignorant of the law and afraid of it, they usually have drug convictions and past evictions. Just the mere mention of legal action sends them into hiding. You would be surprised to know how many do in-fact have current warrants. Some are paranoid and some are not able to get there(very few). However, when an eviction notice is served the apartments legally have to provide explicit directions on how to get to the court house by the appointed time, usually in the form of tri-met directions, and it has to be submitted to the court in the event the tenant is a no-show. When they are served they are given explicit directions two weeks in advance and told to leave 2 hours early. It's part of what they sign. If they refuse to sign, the property management company wins by default. Many don't even bother to sign. Those ones typically are assigned a risk factor that tells managers this person is hostile, and will likely destroy the unit. Shootouts, ugly sheriff lockouts, arson and stole property and destroyed units are all part of the game. Most of the people in these situations are not outstanding folks that are just down on their luck. Most have been evicted multiple times, served jail sentences, have misdemeanors (mostly drug use/dealing) on their records. About 10% of the renters in the portfolio are very questionable to begin with but with Oregon's laws tilted very in favor of tenants there is nothing P-M Cos. and Landlords can do.

Quote:
I guess I'm showing my age. But it is very disconcerting, as to how people in Oregon have CHANGED.There have always been poor people here,but they didn't act that way.My sister's friends' mom was alone,and she did several cleaning jobs,to support them.Her daughter worked, AND she went to LCC, college,got business and cosmetology degrees,went to a big city,worked her way up to big wages and got computer skills.She was the daughter of a poor mom,but she worked her way out of it.She worked hard, all her life.(baby boomer generation.) Even poor Oregonians could work their way out of it.And we did!! So, yes, I just don't understand the poor any more. We didn't ACT poor,even if we were.(sorry for the rant, you can remove this if you like.I don't have any right to rant, sorry.)
We as a society have failed 10% of our citizens.

We became an irresposible, hedonistic, consumerist society in the last 30 years. We used to be a work, pay, then play society but now we are a work.. or not then play then pay..or not society.

We used to be a do-what's-right-society. Now we're are a do-what-WE-think-is-right-and-suits-OUR-needs-society.

A look in the employment or parenting section of this forum shows you what's wrong with American society today. Facebook is another good source of societal decay research.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 749 times
My roommates girlfriend won't leave after he broke up with her. She stayed over one nite and never left. That was 2 months ago.

Old 10-24-2015, 11:11 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
PS: he isn't squatter. He is legally a tenant.
he's not a tenant if he's not paying rent or providing said services. i suppose this was a verbal arrangement?

The basics of contract law would show that he supposed "tenant" did not act in good faith and the contract would be voided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland