Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:16 AM

333 posts, read 810,327 times

Advertisements

I already know the answer yes but just checking all the same. So I've got a photo radar ticket for turning right on a red light! Their video isn't working so I have to track it down - my guess is maybe I didn't come to full stop but odds are I came quite close because it's not my habit not to stop in that situation....but really should that be fined at $260 the same as if I'd run through the center of the intersection? The picture showing my car turning also clearly shows no other cars have entered the intersection yet. Thoughts and advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 12:43 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,911,761 times
if you don't stop all the way the camera will get ya. I got "flashed" once for doing the same thing, but luckily I never got a ticket for it. no advice here...hopefully others will chime in with their photo radar ticket experience.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:10 AM

347 posts, read 669,362 times
You can always dispute it in traffic court, especially if you can't watch the video yourself. I don't know the track record of that in Beaverton but I've heard it's often fairly easy to get out of the ticket as the automated ticket programs aren't very popular and often thought of as illegal so many areas that have it installed already attempt to appease those who might make a fuss about it (class action lawsuits are a pain) by invalidating the ticket in court. Also, in some areas red light cameras issue "fake tickets" that you don't need to pay at all because local laws might make it technically illegal to issue a real ticket...the fake tickets are issued to trick you into paying. You can tell if it's a fake ticket if it doesn't give a full address to the traffic court or if it says not to contact the court.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:44 AM

892 posts, read 1,592,380 times
Was there a sign saying no turn on red?

Old 08-04-2013, 03:35 PM

333 posts, read 810,327 times
SETabor, I'm driving over there today to see if they added no turn on red sign, but on Google street view right now there's no sign. For those interested it's at the intersection of Cedar Hills and Walker.

kyled, it is tempting to fight this especially if I can see the video and it is arguable I stopped (which I think is very likely if only for a second)....still the paperwork I got says that if I plead "not guilty" I lose my chance to do the diversion program which will keep the ticket off my record which would drive up my insurance, hmmmm.

Christine, you know I didn't even notice a flash guess it was too sunny maybe.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:58 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
If you are right, fight it. If you are not sure, do the program and pay up.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
There isn't a video camera on that corner. It's a single frame camera and it's geared towards people running the red lights. A right turn should not have triggered it. It's also possible that it trigged off of someone else's motion. I've also seen it trigger erroneously, possibly off of reflections off people's cars.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:22 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
My experience is in AZ. I don't know about Beaverton.

I made a right turn on red but didn't come to a full stop. At my slowest (2 mph) I was IN the cross walk. That ticket explained to me all the parameters required to trigger the camera. The reason I got the ticket is because I rolled right past the stop line on a red light. So...

*Regardless of actually stopping, I still would have gotten the ticket for not stopping BEFORE the STOP line on RED. Stopping in the cross walk or after it, is illegal, ON RED.

I don't know what beaverton tickets show, but Tucson show a time lapse of the violation(6 pics with miliscecond timing), with speed and they get your license plate and a close up of your face quite clear. Those were impossible to fight.

I plead guilty, went through the class, $150, no big deal.

I had a friend say "that's not me" and maintained it wasn't him..... it clearly was him. He went to another session in court and when they found him guilty the class was no longer an option and he was fined $944.

Another friend though he would be slick and say that the radar was faulty and that he had stopped. Unfortunately, that millisecond timing I talked about earlier proved it was impossible for him to have come to a stop. He threw in the towel and went to the class.

I was told AZ had gotten rid of those cameras, but when I was there last month, there they were flashing away at the corner of 22nd and Wilmot.

There are many videos on you tube of why right on red is so dangerous. I know in Tucson a mother and child were mowed down at broadway and pantano, The stop line was way back from the intersection. The mother and child were just about across when a gray SUV plowed right into them at 20 mph. Like so many times before he had gone right past the stop line right past the cross walk and was going to wait to turn beyond the cross walk, but this time two people died because of impatience.

Tucson has at least 10 pedestrians killed per year and usually 3 or 4 are killed by this very thing. Some are j-walking but an alarming number are in crosswalks with the right of way.

It's really a problem in Tucson, don't believe it? check this out.

Crosswalk Dangers & Investigations - KGUN9.com

Old 08-05-2013, 07:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Posts #7 and #8 pretty much clarify the matter and also outline my thinking on this since yesterday: a single shot camera is not intended to capture any other kind of moving violation except running a red. Those cameras flash and they are hard to miss, even in daylight. The stop motion video of the moving violation cameras is a new one to me, I didn't know such things existed. Time marches on. Bottom line, the camera thought the operator was running a red light. It doesn't appear that there were any nearby vehicles to trigger a false signal. Moreover the operator claims to have been making a right turn. I know for a fact that many drivers are not aware that when making a right turn you must make the tightest arc possible, even when the further lanes are clear. A wide right turn on red would trigger the camera. Post #8 is especially instructive as it outlines the kind of defense an operator has to muster if they are going to opt for their day in court. I personally am not hearing the kind of assurance from the defense table that all the ducks were in a row. I am not saying they shouldn't fight the system if they were wrongfully accused, I am saying that they have to raise the temperature of their argument... considerably... if they expect to have a prayer of a favorable outcome.

H

Old 08-05-2013, 01:04 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
My wife got a similar ticket at Beaverton-Hillsdale and Griffith recently. She turned right without stopping. The video showed it very clearly, so we just paid the fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland