Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2014, 11:53 PM

129 posts, read 189,451 times

Advertisements

So we have been offered a home in Damascus from a friend for $280k with 1acre. It is a nice house, but it has one HUGE flaw. While not on 212 it is 600ft from 212. It is the 4th house in and everyone has 1 acre and it is all open field backyards which means I can hear 212 perfectly with the windows open. Also on the deck and in the backyard it is so loud I can barely hear the crickets chirp. I have said no way, but my family really likes it and so we submitted and got an accepted and offer just a few days ago. Personally I now want to pull out because I just can't imagine living with the noise, but I feel outvoted.

Would you buy here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 01:22 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,535,014 times
You have to do what your family wants. Sometimes being a man means sacrifice. When I was buying a home in Milwaukie it was over a quarter mile from the railroad tracks in either direction. I still hear the trains all the time at night. My wife and kids had to have this house. They love it, I like the land but the house and the location are pretty meh for what we paid. They claim I am oversensitive to the train noise, and they don't hear it or think about it. But I hear it rumble and whistle all night long, it's amazing how many trains go thought Miliwaukie per night on either the UP tracks along 224 or the PW tracks through downtown. 212 is pretty busy in the rush hour times and there are tons of loud jacked up pickups and even a large number of semis on that road. Grin and bear it, if it makes your family happy, I have for 12 years. I have not picked one of our homes in the last 10 years. My wife and I do not agree on houses, never have, never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland