Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 01:19 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by felinius View Post
I just put $300k as an example because that's bottom barrel of what you'll find here in the Bay ... I see Portland has quite a number of $150-200k. That's still much less than 1/3 of income.

Just because you don't agree doesn't mean that it's "skewed." That's not how adults play.
It isn't my opinion. Portland has been making the top 10 "least affordable" lists for the past three or four years. Housing prices keep going up 7-11% each year for the past decade, while salaries have remained flat for almost two decades. It's like an isolated Pac NW version of what has been going on in the Bay Area. Urban growth boundaries, limits on building new homes, and a small class of people getting paid well while everyone else's salary stagnates are contributing to the lack of affordability. In both areas, housing cost inflation is being exacerbated by well heeled people from elsewhere. In the Bay Area, Chinese investors are paying cash for homes; in Portland, the Bay Area refugees are doing the same.

Last edited by rzzzz; 11-05-2014 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: fixing grammar and capitalization
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 01:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
It may seem "more affordable" than SoCal or the bay, but a $300k home on $60k income doesn't meet historical definitions of "affordable." Even with the current low rates (assuming you have stellar credit as a young couple) and paying $60k as a downpayment, your monthly PITI is likely to be 35% of your take-home.

Can you pull it off? Sure, it's possible. But your margin for error would be pretty slim. If the furnace goes out, or the roof springs a leak, unless you have family support on top of your income, you're likely to be squeezed dealing with it.

Now, if you can make adjustments elsewhere in your spending (no car or one car, cook meals from scratch bulk ingredients, etc.) it's possible you can carry that load a bit better.

And as you say, owning makes it harder to move for employment, particularly if you buy high and the market drops.
Then one would just need to look to East Portland, St Johns, or down in Milwaukie to find homes that are $250K or less. One might not be living in Inner Eastside if they don't make the income to afford a $300K+ home, but there is still plenty of places for one to buy if their household income level is at $60K.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:00 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Then one would just need to look to East Portland, St Johns, or down in Milwaukie to find homes that are $250K or less. One might not be living in Inner Eastside if they don't make the income to afford a $300K+ home, but there is still plenty of places for one to buy if their household income level is at $60K.
One could live in Harlem, downtown Oakland, 5th Ward in Houston or Compton in LA to find affordable housing as well. The neighborhoods you mention "suck" to live in when compared to Lake O, the better parts of Beaverton, the Pearl, etc..., and are full of very old dilpadated houses from the baby boom era.

If you're at $60K and want nice schools, newer neighborhoods and the better areas of PDX...you're renting. Bottom line.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
One could live in Harlem, downtown Oakland, 5th Ward in Houston or Compton in LA to find affordable housing as well. The neighborhoods you mention "suck" to live in when compared to Lake O, the better parts of Beaverton, the Pearl, etc..., and are full of very old dilpadated houses from the baby boom era.

If you're at $60K and want nice schools, newer neighborhoods and the better areas of PDX...you're renting. Bottom line.
Did you just compare St Johns, Eastern Portland, and Milwaukie to downtown Oakland, Harlem, and Compton (which Compton is not in LA, it is its own city)? How long ago did you move away from Portland? All of those areas are decent areas for one to buy, and not everyone wants to live in Lake O, Beaverton, or the Pearl.

Newer neighborhoods? Most neighborhoods in Portland are close to 100 years old now, I am beginning to wonder how well you know present day Portland. Because I can easily find homes under $250K and in good neighborhoods with good schools in a number of locations throughout Portland and the Portland metro.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:34 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,310,077 times
Harlem is pretty nice and downtown Oakland isn't that bad. I'd rather live either of those places than St. Johns or east Portland. St Johns and east Portland would both be more like living in east ruthersford NJ, not Oakland or Harlem.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:40 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,282 times
I have a slight problem with affordability rankings. Some of them are wage-based only, and thus negate cities where a homeowner can find a tenant who's willing to live in his basement.

Even Joel Kotkin noticed that in some of the "affordable" sun belt cities like Houston, the residents' incomes were much more heavily wage-based than Portland's. Houston may have affordable housing but far fewer people are going to forego an equally affordable apartment or house just to live in a house at the end of a far flung cul-de-sac.

According to economist Joe Cortright, the compactness of Portland's metro also allows its residents to drive 20% less miles than in the average metro.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:12 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
You have obviously never been to Rockridge, Piedmont, or the Oakland Hills if you're going to throw Oakland out there.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Harlem is pretty nice and downtown Oakland isn't that bad. I'd rather live either of those places than St. Johns or east Portland. St Johns and east Portland would both be more like living in east ruthersford NJ, not Oakland or Harlem.
I disagree, I have known a few people that have lived or still live in St Johns and they all seem to love it there. I have always thought the area to be nice. I have family that live in East Portland in a really nice neighborhood and there are a number of good neighborhoods in East Portland. Heck, I my best friend lives over in the Madison South neighborhood and loves it, which that is a great area for one who is looking for a house they can afford.

Not everyone wants to live in the Pearl District or Lake O.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:18 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzzz View Post
Exactly. At the very least these areas would be accessible to high paying jobs in the bay area or Manhattan that would make it worth it.

To Urbanlife: Yes, not everyone wants to live in wealthy areas with great schools... Drug dealers, pimps, gangs and other do enjoy living in run-down areas it seems... But please exhibit to me the rankings of Lake O High versus Roosevelt? Or how about crime statistics for the two areas? You're definition of a "good" neighborhood and "good schools" is skewed by your obsession for being a cheerleader for PDX.

PDX has expensive housing and COL in comparison to how much people make. Some would say in this thread that moving in to a $250K house on $60K combined income is somehow reasonable or responsible...but it's not even close. That's over 4x gross income, that pretty much breaks every house buying rule in the book. You will be living like a family on welfare and food stamps at that level and none the less, at $250K you're looking at a very old house that WILL need a lot of work. It's not going to happen on $60K for too long.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I have a slight problem with affordability rankings. Some of them are wage-based only, and thus negate cities where a homeowner can find a tenant who's willing to live in his basement.

Even Joel Kotkin noticed that in some of the "affordable" sun belt cities like Houston, the residents' incomes were much more heavily wage-based than Portland's. Houston may have affordable housing but far fewer people are going to forego an equally affordable apartment or house just to live in a house at the end of a far flung cul-de-sac.

According to economist Joe Cortright, the compactness of Portland's metro also allows its residents to drive 20% less miles than in the average metro.
The compactness of Portland also makes it much easier for people to take transit or bike to work as well, one of my favorite qualities of Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland