Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 11:26 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times

Advertisements

The last time I was in PDX, it was very obvious that the carpet was old and needed to be replaced.
I am glad they did it.

But, you knew you were home when you saw that cruddy carpet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 11:35 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
The last time I was in PDX, it was very obvious that the carpet was old and needed to be replaced.
I am glad they did it.

But, you knew you were home when you saw that cruddy carpet!
They haven't changed it yet, I think it happens in 2015 or 2016.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:35 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,532,400 times
I'm not denying that they "love" the carpet...... now.........

What I'm saying is if you do a google search for pdx carpet and go back in the history it did not start trending until about 2009 and didn't start getting items made in it's likeness until about 2011. It only spiked in late 2013 due to the news it was being replaced. I don't know of anyone in my circle who even gave the carpet a second thought until then, Even though it had been in existance for 20 years. And it has nothing to do with the availibility of social media. Twitter started 03/06 and Facebook 11/04

So what I'm saying is in regards to muffincakes implying that it is some sort of longstanding time honored tradition that must be saved. Is false, it's a recent thing. Before 09' no one gave the carpet a second thought. And certianly would not buy merchandise based on the pattern.

I bet if I had 4 random similar (but not too similar) looking carpet pieces and asked people in downtown portland which one is the PDX carpet the amount that got it right would be low.

In the age of instant information, tagging, image searching, we tend to believe we know more than we do because we can just look it up on our cell phones. A look around the internet proved the point, with many products looking similar but not exact to the actual carpet (im not talking about colors 'm talking about the actual design).

The first time I noticed it was in 2011. I got off an Alaska Airlines flight from Phoenix and as I neared the big open area in concourse C near the security area people were huddled together taking pictures of something. I couldn't figure out what they were doing. "Are they taking pictures of the carpet?" I was looking for a mouse or animal or stack of money on the floor or something on the floor... Hm they are in fact taking a picture of the carpet.....All previous trips to Portland from anywhere I had never seen people taking pictures of the carpet. When I flew again a few months later there was a large gaggle of people taking pictures of the carpet. Then again 2013 people are taking pictures of the carpet as soon as they get off the plane. Now, everytime I fly people take pictures of the carpet. Prior to 2011 I had flown in 2 times per year at peak times and had never seen anyone take a picture of the carpet even though iPhones/twitter/FB existed.

So long story short, it's a new trend that only became popular in the last 4-5 years, the carpet gained no attention prior to that and people being outraged or feeling compelled to act on saving the carpet are mostly young poeple who have lived in Portland only recently.

Here is the thought process that made the carpet famous after landing at PDX.

Portlander: "I need to get home, I hope the arrivals deck traffic isn't horrible (spoiler: it is), I hope MAX is on time."

Visitor: "OMG look at how chintzy this carpet is, Portland is so 90's and quirky, I have to take a picture to show all my NYC/LA friends that portland really is wierd and stuck in the 90's. Just look at their airport. " Its like quirky city from the second you get off the plane."

Portlander: <sees it trending and equates it with it with home, dosen't understand that the original intent behind the trend was to show our wierd outdated carpet to others in an ironc hipster sort of fashion. Follows the trend and changes the meaning> I liken the PDX carpet fascination to the Ugly Christmas sweater/Clothes from Goodwill trend.

Hipster 1 :"OMG thats the greatest sweater ever."
Hipster 2: "I know I got it at Goodwill for like 99 cents"
60 yearold woman who actually wears those sweaters in a non-ironic fashion walks by.
Hipster 1: "OMg did you see that sweater?"
Hipster 2: "That. was. hilarious."

Old 11-13-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I'm not denying that they "love" the carpet...... now.........

What I'm saying is if you do a google search for pdx carpet and go back in the history it did not start trending until about 2009 and didn't start getting items made in it's likeness until about 2011. It only spiked in late 2013 due to the news it was being replaced. I don't know of anyone in my circle who even gave the carpet a second thought until then, Even though it had been in existance for 20 years. And it has nothing to do with the availibility of social media. Twitter started 03/06 and Facebook 11/04

So what I'm saying is in regards to muffincakes implying that it is some sort of longstanding time honored tradition that must be saved. Is false, it's a recent thing. Before 09' no one gave the carpet a second thought. And certianly would not buy merchandise based on the pattern.

I bet if I had 4 random similar (but not too similar) looking carpet pieces and asked people in downtown portland which one is the PDX carpet the amount that got it right would be low.

In the age of instant information, tagging, image searching, we tend to believe we know more than we do because we can just look it up on our cell phones. A look around the internet proved the point, with many products looking similar but not exact to the actual carpet (im not talking about colors 'm talking about the actual design).

The first time I noticed it was in 2011. I got off an Alaska Airlines flight from Phoenix and as I neared the big open area in concourse C near the security area people were huddled together taking pictures of something. I couldn't figure out what they were doing. "Are they taking pictures of the carpet?" I was looking for a mouse or animal or stack of money on the floor or something on the floor... Hm they are in fact taking a picture of the carpet.....All previous trips to Portland from anywhere I had never seen people taking pictures of the carpet. When I flew again a few months later there was a large gaggle of people taking pictures of the carpet. Then again 2013 people are taking pictures of the carpet as soon as they get off the plane. Now, everytime I fly people take pictures of the carpet. Prior to 2011 I had flown in 2 times per year at peak times and had never seen anyone take a picture of the carpet even though iPhones/twitter/FB existed.

So long story short, it's a new trend that only became popular in the last 4-5 years, the carpet gained no attention prior to that and people being outraged or feeling compelled to act on saving the carpet are mostly young poeple who have lived in Portland only recently.

Here is the thought process that made the carpet famous after landing at PDX.

Portlander: "I need to get home, I hope the arrivals deck traffic isn't horrible (spoiler: it is), I hope MAX is on time."

Visitor: "OMG look at how chintzy this carpet is, Portland is so 90's and quirky, I have to take a picture to show all my NYC/LA friends that portland really is wierd and stuck in the 90's. Just look at their airport. " Its like quirky city from the second you get off the plane."

Portlander: <sees it trending and equates it with it with home, dosen't understand that the original intent behind the trend was to show our wierd outdated carpet to others in an ironc hipster sort of fashion. Follows the trend and changes the meaning> I liken the PDX carpet fascination to the Ugly Christmas sweater/Clothes from Goodwill trend.

Hipster 1 :"OMG thats the greatest sweater ever."
Hipster 2: "I know I got it at Goodwill for like 99 cents"
60 yearold woman who actually wears those sweaters in a non-ironic fashion walks by.
Hipster 1: "OMg did you see that sweater?"
Hipster 2: "That. was. hilarious."
I think you are looking at it all wrong, the carpet didn't just get attention, it has always been a familiar sight for anyone flying out of PDX. The reason for all the new attention comes from realizing they will soon be replacing it, so now you see people taking photos of the carpet.

And it isn't just young people and hipsters that are new here that like the carpet pattern.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
They haven't changed it yet, I think it happens in 2015 or 2016.
Sorry, haven't been there for some time, I thought they already did it.

It really needs replacing, anyway, so it ain't gonna break my heart when it happens!

Old 11-13-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:

It really needs replacing, anyway, so it ain't gonna break my heart when it happens!
I like the new design and I like that a local architecture firm designed it. I will miss the old pattern, but now it is on my key chain so it will never fully go away for me.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:41 PM

I'm sure I can find a picture of it on the web if I really miss it.

Maybe I'll just buy a PDX Carpet T shirt:

http://www.zazzle.com/pdx_portland_a...61022856023980

Old 11-13-2014, 06:39 PM

306 posts, read 701,751 times
Quote:

My point still stands: They can replace it by the same design. I'm surprised people don't want the design to remain.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:03 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
I haven't seen the new design yet, but I, for one, would like to see something else. That carpet makes me crazy! I'm actually a migraine sufferer and something about the pattern really sets me off. I've had more than one migraine triggered walking through that airport. Hopefully it's not nearly as crazy.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I haven't seen the new design yet, but I, for one, would like to see something else. That carpet makes me crazy! I'm actually a migraine sufferer and something about the pattern really sets me off. I've had more than one migraine triggered walking through that airport. Hopefully it's not nearly as crazy.
This is what the new carpet will look like.

A Peek at PDX Airport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland