Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 12:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,346 times

Advertisements

I am 26 and a Boston native. I work for a large import/export company that has it's west coast base in Portland. Portland seems great, I like the rain, the temperate climate, and the nature surrounding it. Also, compared to Boston, the prices seem great.

Here is my concern: Portland is stereotyped as a very eclectic/hipster/alternative lifestyle kind of city. My hometown has a large hipster population as well and it isn't a community I fit in with at all. I'm more of an average blue collar guy, not too much into "causes" or indie music or gourmet food. I wouldn't say that I am conservative or something, but I fit into a prototypical mold of an "average" guy my age. It is hard for me to describe but the best way I can put it is that I'm the jeans and t shirt type, listen to "mainstream" rock/rap, go to mass on Sunday, not into smoking weed or anything like that, I know next to nothing about art and it isn't an interest of mine, I'm not an enviromentalist, I eat meat, I smoke cigarettes, and the only reason I recycle is because they fine you over 200 bucks here if you don't lol. I am excited for the fishing, hiking and mountain climbing opportunities however.

The reason I am asking is because I am very afraid of Portland being like how it is portrayed in Portlandia...in which case it would be very hard for me to connect with anyone. I know that living in a suburb would probably help me avoid that kind of stuff and I am open to that, but I am young and single so I do not wanna feel like I am in "Mom, Dad, 2.5 kids and dog" land.

Please help me debunk my stereotypes about Portland so that I feel okay about accepting the transfer on Monday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 02:14 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,654,175 times
Its not all hipsters all the time everywhere. Last time I was up I spent some time on the Mississippi street strip. Looks trendy but not overly hipsterish. St John's has some decent local pubs and eateries that are pretty much just regular folks. There seemed to be a youngish crowd mid to late 20's and early 30's when I stopped into "Leisure" in St Johns. There are several other pubs around that are more what I would call blue collaresque. I speak from my experience. I know there are other parts of town that are similar. I lived in St Johns for over 20 years.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:25 AM

5 posts, read 5,194 times
I haven't lived in Portland, yet, but I did live in Seattle and visited Portland often. Portlandia is an extreme portrayal, in my opinion. I found Portland to be a very comfortable, laid back city (more like a big town when you're used to Boston and NY). People are very accepting and if you like beer, you'll be in heaven! Overall, everyone in the Pacific NW is into the outdoors and nature, so you'll be good there too. I'm hoping to move there within the year if I can swing it. It's MUCH easier to move out West after growing up on the East Coast, trust me. Get ready for some seriously beautiful hiking/camping. Have fun!

Old 01-04-2015, 07:58 AM

846 posts, read 610,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston's finest View Post
I am 26 and a Boston native. I work for a large import/export company that has it's west coast base in Portland. Portland seems great, I like the rain, the temperate climate, and the nature surrounding it. Also, compared to Boston, the prices seem great.

Here is my concern: Portland is stereotyped as a very eclectic/hipster/alternative lifestyle kind of city. My hometown has a large hipster population as well and it isn't a community I fit in with at all. I'm more of an average blue collar guy, not too much into "causes" or indie music or gourmet food. I wouldn't say that I am conservative or something, but I fit into a prototypical mold of an "average" guy my age. It is hard for me to describe but the best way I can put it is that I'm the jeans and t shirt type, listen to "mainstream" rock/rap, go to mass on Sunday, not into smoking weed or anything like that, I know next to nothing about art and it isn't an interest of mine, I'm not an enviromentalist, I eat meat, I smoke cigarettes, and the only reason I recycle is because they fine you over 200 bucks here if you don't lol. I am excited for the fishing, hiking and mountain climbing opportunities however.

The reason I am asking is because I am very afraid of Portland being like how it is portrayed in Portlandia...in which case it would be very hard for me to connect with anyone. I know that living in a suburb would probably help me avoid that kind of stuff and I am open to that, but I am young and single so I do not wanna feel like I am in "Mom, Dad, 2.5 kids and dog" land.

Please help me debunk my stereotypes about Portland so that I feel okay about accepting the transfer on Monday?

Some would say hipster is not something to be proud of. Actually, I can't think of one description. Can anyone?

Trust me when I say there are lot of normal people here. There are a plethora of "young people " neighborhoods around downtown and just outside. Young guy with a steady job? You are king.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:30 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Portland is very different from Boston. You are in for some culture shock. However, Portland is full of blue collar workers who wear blue jeans and t-shirts (under their rain gear). The town is full of down to earth fishermen and outdoorsmen. Not everyone is a hipster.

If you get a bit outside of Portland, maybe Sandy or another small community on the outskirts, you will find farmers and horsemen and they are all wearing blue jeans and t-shirts.

We are all pretty serious about recycling, so suggest you learn to love doing your part to protect the natural beauty in the area. Also, as a smoker, you will have a booger of a time securing a rental. Oregon is pretty thoroughly anti-smoking and smokers have a hard time of it.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:25 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Smoking is the one behavior you will get hassled about and as woodsmoke says your rental options will be seriously impacted.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:44 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
You'll be fine. Loose the cigs though, better for you in the long run anyway.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Smoking is the one behavior you will get hassled about and as woodsmoke says your rental options will be seriously impacted.
By hassled, do you mean people will say something to me? Or that I won't be able to get an apartment? I do not think it would be an issue with rentals, because it would be dumb of me to tell my landlord that I smoke.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:14 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,913,102 times
I don't know the rules about renting/smoking (not a smoker) but i'm always surprised that when we go to Portland (usually downtown) there are always a lot of people smoking out and about. We also just stayed at a hotel for a one night getaway and they offered us a smoking room. I didn't realize you could still get those here!

Old 01-04-2015, 03:28 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston's finest View Post

Stereotypes are just that, stereotypes. Portland does have a large population of young people, but there is more to the city and metro than just that. You probably will like the nature things the northwest have to offer more than what the city has to offer.

Portland is nothing like how it is portrayed in Portlandia; I have always joked that it was how people in LA saw Portland.

My suggestion would be to visit Portland before making the move, visit now would give you an idea of the weather and the people here. We do love to drink and the beer, hard alcohol, and wine are all good here, as well as our coffee. When you come to visit, rent a car to make it easier for you to get around the city and metro and to try and take in more land as you possible can.

Portland may surprise you and turn out to be a city you like, or it might not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland