Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 06:18 PM

3,820 posts, read 2,701,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The bridge across the Columbia at I-5 has been tolled twice in the past to pay for bridge construction. When the bridge construction bonds were retired so were the toll boths. This wouldn't be a new practice. It doesn't matter in which direction the toll is collected so long as both bridges are tolled (to prevent run-arounds) the impact will be the same.
I was aware that it had been tolled once (the more recent toll), but didn't know of the history of the first time. I stand by my statement that the law would have to be crafted carefully, or this time the tolls might stick. Third time's a charm? The political environment is far different than it was when the tolls were last on I-5.

If the toll is small enough, would people really make the run around? If the toll were equivalent to 1/2 gal. gas, wouldn't that negate the advantage by the time wear and tear is added in?

And tolling both bridges sounds an awful lot like making one set of commuters pay for the road used by another set of commuters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 06:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
The bridge across the Columbia at I-5 has been tolled twice in the past to pay for bridge construction. When the bridge construction bonds were retired so were the toll boths. This wouldn't be a new practice. It doesn't matter in which direction the toll is collected so long as both bridges are tolled (to prevent run-arounds) the impact will be the same.
This day and age, we don't even need toll booths to have a toll that slows traffic down. I would be for tolls on both bridges to help upgrade them, but I would want it to also include a light rail bridge and a big park and ride garage in Vancouver to help encourage commuters to use train. We could even have a Vancouver train that has limited stops through Portland to help speed up the commute if need be.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:13 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,578,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
This day and age, we don't even need toll booths to have a toll that slows traffic down. I would be for tolls on both bridges to help upgrade them, but I would want it to also include a light rail bridge and a big park and ride garage in Vancouver to help encourage commuters to use train. We could even have a Vancouver train that has limited stops through Portland to help speed up the commute if need be.
Ultimately the only way to relieve congestion on I-5 through Portland is to have more commuters travel by light rail. Clark County residents are vehemently against this - even opposing providing for light rail on the I-205 bridge so, I guess, they will have to live with the backups.

I think light rail and a big park and ride in Vancouver would be fantastic.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:14 AM

978 posts, read 1,089,394 times
what would be better is build a new bridge with the same amount of car lanes but have two lanes for busses. have express busses that take ten minutes

Old 03-09-2015, 12:26 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
what would be better is build a new bridge with the same amount of car lanes but have two lanes for busses. have express busses that take ten minutes
If you are gonna build a lane for buses only, then you might as well build light rail for a similar cost.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:44 PM

have lightrail apart of the new bridge then have it conect to the yellow line and skip five stops. that would work i think

just build it to the island if vancouver doesnt want it. it would be quicker then it is now or if the yellow line went to vancouver.

Last edited by sorupaa; 03-09-2015 at 01:36 PM..

Old 03-09-2015, 02:36 PM

Busses already run from Vancouver to downtown Portland.

Old 03-09-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Busses already run from Vancouver to downtown Portland.
hippie busses maybe

Old 03-09-2015, 08:56 PM

No, they are commuter busses.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:00 AM

i fell sorry for people in vancouver, ive road the max/ bus there a couple times and it takes forever. vancouver is huge and the bus that goes to the max is full usually.

never seen a bus that goes to downtown portland from vancouver though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland