Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 10:12 PM

8 posts, read 13,773 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I moved here about a year ago from a very small, undeveloped town where woods to explore or a field to lay in were only a few minutes walk away. I'm missing that a lot and don't know how to find it in the sprawling suburbs of Portland/Beaverton/Hillsboro. I know there are lots of beautiful parks around with trails and mountains and waterfalls and amazing views, but I'm hoping to find some back road, middle of nowhere little spots to enjoy. It can be as simple as an isolated field: just anywhere to get outside, away from people and buildings, park your car off the side of the road and either explore or lay out in the grass and watch the clouds and/or stars. I'm up for driving a bit, so any suggestions within an hour of the general area would be really appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 03:04 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
I'm sure you could find a spot in Mt. Hood National Forest.
Go to a ranger station and buy a district map.

It will show you all the back roads, rivers, lakes, campgrounds, etc.

Plus, they also have all kinds of books on recreation, nature, hiking, camping that are locally specific.

It shouldn't be that hard to find a spot like that just by driving around.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:19 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
If you're over Hillsboro-way, have you been out to Henry Hagg Lake/Park?

Old 04-24-2015, 05:23 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
Go discover Sauvie Island. It is exactly what you are looking for

Old 04-24-2015, 11:37 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,532,400 times
Getting away from people is becoming more difficult these days. I used to be able to go to Ecola/cannon beach or the gorge and have no problem finding a parking spot at a trail head even in August.

These days I'm lucky to get a spot at 9AM on an overcast Saturday in May.

The internet has made it very hard to keep cool places a secret anymore. I used to go to Jefferson Park (Mt Jeff) as a teen and it was my special place, but the last time I tried to go, there wasn't a place to park. My saddest realization of how bad the internet is taxing our natural wonders is when I went to my super secret trailhead in the Wallowas to find the entire parking lot full of cars that had out of state plates and tons of cars with plate surrounds identifying them as being from Portland... it was a sad moment for me. Even in the middle of August you may have seen 4 or 5 cars at these trailheads in the mid 90s.

I had an epiphany. Nothing is sacred, nothing is hidden, nothing is off limits anymore. Chances are the places you describe within and hour of Portland are on private land, will have people or will be too remote to access.

Damn you oregonhikers.org!

Get on Google earth and the Google earth community look at areas in the coast range or near Dallas, try around Vernonia. Go find it yourself and don't tell any one about it.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:05 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Getting away from people is becoming more difficult these days. I used to be able to go to Ecola/cannon beach or the gorge and have no problem finding a parking spot at a trail head even in August.

These days I'm lucky to get a spot at 9AM on an overcast Saturday in May.

The internet has made it very hard to keep cool places a secret anymore. I used to go to Jefferson Park (Mt Jeff) as a teen and it was my special place, but the last time I tried to go, there wasn't a place to park. My saddest realization of how bad the internet is taxing our natural wonders is when I went to my super secret trailhead in the Wallowas to find the entire parking lot full of cars that had out of state plates and tons of cars with plate surrounds identifying them as being from Portland... it was a sad moment for me. Even in the middle of August you may have seen 4 or 5 cars at these trailheads in the mid 90s.

I had an epiphany. Nothing is sacred, nothing is hidden, nothing is off limits anymore. Chances are the places you describe within and hour of Portland are on private land, will have people or will be too remote to access.

Damn you oregonhikers.org!

Get on Google earth and the Google earth community look at areas in the coast range or near Dallas, try around Vernonia. Go find it yourself and don't tell any one about it.
On the upside, more people visiting these places means more people who will want to preserve them.

But yes, finding a place near the city or along the coast that doesn't have other people around can be a challenge.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:45 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
My experience has always been that if you get about 3 miles from the roads, you will see very few people. Out at 5 miles you only run into a couple of dedicated hikers, and those are few and far between.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:42 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
If you really want quiet day trips, I have found that most people from Portland are not willing to drive more than three hours for recreation.

Get up earlier, and drive a little farther.

Plus don't limit yourself to Oregon.
There is a whole 'nother big state just north of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland