Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:28 AM

11 posts, read 18,533 times

Advertisements

City-Data, you have not steered me wrong; when my company moved me to Cali, you helped me find an ideal location; when I moved to NJ, I was warned not too; I am now embarking on a move to Portland, OR. I will be uprooting my family consisting of a 6 year old, 2 year old, wife, my father in law, and two dogs. Schools, parks, and sidewalks begin the list. Within a 30 minute drive to a hospital for the old man. I am looking to purchase a home (not a townhouse, not a condo, a humble single family dwelling with off street parking and a backyard) in the area of $300-$350K. I will have employment secured in the Piedmont area near/in NOPO. My family leans toward a village feel (walk to stores or town centres). I currently have a 35 min commute (on a good day); during rush hour, it can take me up to 50 min to get home. My wife presently drives 25 minutes to get our daughter to a private catholic school (public schools here have a student/teacher ratio of 32:1 with no aides/assistants). The stress/pace/congestion of NJ has almost torn my family apart and we made the decision to bail the state of NJ. I will be in Portland soon, work related, at which, I will leverage your recommendations to narrow the city sections to do focused reconnaissance of my own. Thank you in advance for the help and support.

Last edited by KC27; 05-01-2015 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: included present commute times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 11:26 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
I don't know anything about Piedmont. I do know that were I in your situation trying to find a house to buy would not be on my radar. My parents bought their first house for 3K and sold it 25 years later for $200K. It made sense to buy houses in 1959. In 1977 it also made good sense to buy a house for $75K that you could later sell for $300 -- $500K depending on the area. In 2015 you have to be willing to put up with quite a lot to find a property that will appreciate appreciably and if that isn't the goal... ... I don't know... call me peculiar but I don't see a downside to renting in this time of high down-payments, 800+ credit score requirements and skittish lenders who will not authorize purchases in speculative areas. A LOT of people are buying property in NOPO but they don't have kids... well some do... I don't know.... I LOVE Sullivan's Gulch. Check it out. It's got what you want, but you will need at least $100K more than your present budget. FWIW.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:57 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
To the O.P.-
I would suggest renting first then getting a feel for Portland and its surrounding areas BEFORE buying a home. I really think you need to EXPERIENCE Portland as a resident for at least a year. I have many reasons for feeling this way but a very practical reason is the grey of Portland that is worse than N.J., believe me. Your kids will probably adjust like mine but it is very possible that one of the adults in your family will experience SAD in the Winter. It's no joke. I prefer the Western suburbs because they get more sun though I have been living in Inner NE Portland for over five years. The community is similar to Berkeley, CA but the weather has been difficult many Winters now. I have lived decades on the East coast and am a native San Franciscan so I have been exposed to cold, foggy and dreary weather but Portland is a different animal. You budget is also a bit low for what you want. Keep asking questions and good luck!

Old 05-01-2015, 01:09 PM

Thank you to Yankeemama and Leisesturm ; I appreciate the adult, blunt feedback, it really does help me in our current predicament. My kids are my life, this move is for them. I also appreciate the concern regarding the adults (SAD is an acronym I have not heard in quite a while!).

Old 05-01-2015, 01:15 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
I agree renting isn't a bad idea. Though making assumptions about how your desired purchase price converts to rent ($1700ish), I think you may find renting cost prohibitive, possibly, whereas the market to buy at 300-350k isn't completely untenable.

The metro as a whole has good hospitals - even if people tend to find one they prefer, there really aren't any areas where I'd say you really have to rule out because they don't have the hospital access you're looking for.

In terms of things close to Piedmont, there are any variety of neighborhoods you could look at. I'd probably start with University Park or Arbor Lodge to the west, or perhaps Concordia to the east. I think a lot of the nicer neighborhoods around Concordia are probably going to be a stretch financially. You could look a bit farther east at Roseway, but rental vacancies are typically = 0 there. But traveling from Roseway to Piedmont on Lombard is generally smooth.

In terms of what you're describing, the number of neighborhoods that would meet everything on your list would be very high but for budget.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:22 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
KC27-
Yup! Leisesturm and I can speak our minds on this forum, for sure! Seriously, I just want you to to be prepared and successful here and obviously, having your job lined up is the most important part of your move here. Unlike The Bay Area, Los Angeles or NYC area, you CAN find awesome, MORE affordable housing outside the urban core. Keep an open mind and the difference between a house priced at $350K in inner or N Portland and a suburb, like Beaverton, is astounding. I am a parent of kids in PPS and the schools vary quite a bit. You can PM if you like and ask specific questions about schools that fall into boundaries that you are considering moving to. I will tell you what I know.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:14 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Hmmm...I had assumed the OP was wanting to keep the children in Catholic school so I really didn't take into account public schools. Which would complicate the search a bit.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:47 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
I would honestly advise against moving to Portland. It's a place you can easily get stuck in, and if you end up disappointed you might not be able to change your mind.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:49 PM

Portland actually has a very good catholic school presence; I was more looking for recommended neighborhoods, and what neighborhoods to avoid.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I would honestly advise against moving to Portland. It's a place you can easily get stuck in, and if you end up disappointed you might not be able to change your mind.
Why would Portland have a lock on that kind of dynamic? Any move to anywhere should be considered with care because relocations are costly in terms of time, energy, moving expenses, etc. NJ is WAY more of a money sink than PDX and if the o.p. has been able to extricate himself from that situation then I don't think Portland is all that risky. That said, as long as we are being... ... critical... I for one would be more hopeful about the o.p.'s chances if they owned the move on its merits as a good choice for them. Children are adaptable. I wouldn't make it about the children. I'd like the o.p. to tell me they have a serious jones for transportation cycling, natural fibers, home brewing, tattoo's and piercings (kidding)... rain...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland