Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 09:56 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,927,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoevge View Post
is east Portland general safe despite being less upscale? Safety and price are the main concern. I prefer nature access if possible but safety and price are musts.
I don't mean to pick on you, but you happen to be close at hand, so.... I'm curious. Given what you know is true about Capitalism and the Free Market. Why would you believe that it is possible to find a place that was both safe and cheap? Now, as I have already said, ALL of Portland is safer than ALL of Baltimore but... more money always gets you... more. More of something usually, never everything. The world over, the highest rents are paid close to the city center, and these areas are somewhat less safe than the outskirts. But they are desired areas because they are close to everything. Everything = work, usually.

$1200/mo spent anywhere 'close in' is not going to be quite as safe as $1200/mo spent further west. But it is somewhat safer than $1200/mo spent further east. Safe = attractive. The reasons are complex. But again, they are mainly a wash. In no part of Portland are home invasions common. Nor is murder. Property crime is the only risk and vehicle break in and theft are the main examples of property crime anyone ever experiences. If you are not drugging and thugging and beating on your Mrs. you will never, ever, come close to dialing 911. I hear parts of WV are really beautiful and idyllic. If you go far enough out east or west of Portland you can find that. But you work in Lloyd Center. You have to compromise.

IMO it doesn't get better than living right in Lloyd Center which is nearly impossible because Lloyd is a business district and has extremely limited residential housing. Next best, a VERY close neighbor community like Sullivan's Gulch or Irvington. Both are attractive, liveable communities and are very safe, if you use common sense. Lake Oswego is safe whether you use common sense or not, but you pay for that and you have said a number of times that your budget is not very flexible. I can't make it anymore blunt than this.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 05-20-2015 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland