Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 10:59 PM

8,223 posts, read 16,744,353 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any info on Banks, North Plains or Forest Grove. If I moved their with my family I would most likely commute into Hillsboro. And we would occasionaly want to drive into Portland.

I just want to check out the area around Hillsboro and being somewhat closer to the coast is an added benefit.

In using google earth to check things out it looks like FG has more homes than Banks overall. But there appears to be plenty of available land in either area.

Banks & NP may be better for easier Portland because of their proximity to HWY 47.

Any experiences, thoughts or ideas regarding these western burbs appreciated.

- Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 11:20 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,058,101 times
well, i lived in Forest Grove during my HS years, and my dad/stepmom still live there. They really like it. There are some really nice areas, and some pretty cool older homes. The downtown strip is pretty cute, and theres a nice small college there (Pacific University) Henry Hagg Lake is right up 42, and pretty popular. Theres all your basics, plus its close enough to get to the bigger communities fairly easily.
I can tell you, I was bored there as a teen, w/o the malls and action stuff, but as an adult, that appeals to me. lol Plus, its grown quite a bit in the 15yrs since I graduated so there IS more. They have some really awesome fresh fruit/veggie stands out there too!! So thats a HUGE bonus! lol
oh yea, Forest Grove IS bigger than Banks.
Hope this is a start...
Tiff

Old 01-22-2008, 05:30 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,561,830 times
Banks is more of a small farm type town and there is not a lot going on there. But if you really want a rural feel, Banks might be the place for you. Forest Grove has some nice areas, but most of them are not convenient to hwy 47. I born and raised there and still have family in FG. I also have family in Hillsboro. I like the Orenco area and Jackson School area. Jackson School Rd. is especially convenient to hwy 47. It really depends on what you are looking for and your budget. I'm not a fan of Cornelius (not that you mentioned it, but it's out that way).

You also mentioned North Plains. If you watch the TLC channel, the family from "Little People, Big World" live out there. Again, this is more rural, but growing and is convenient to hwy 47. I'm not sure if any of this info is helpful. The best thing to do is go there and get a feel for the area. ~K~

P.S. I'm sure I had sibs that went to HS with the previous poster. lol

Old 01-22-2008, 07:05 PM

8,223 posts, read 16,744,353 times
Thanks Tiffany and Kandy,

It sounds like Forest Grove has a little more to offer in terms of stores, restaurants, etc...

We will look at areas in Hillsboro as well. It sounds like the Orenco and Tanasbourne neighborhoods are recommended often. I just wanted to consider other areas within the vacinity as well.

Thanks again,

Derek

Old 01-22-2008, 09:08 PM

13 posts, read 24,479 times
Forest Grove is a neat town. There is alot of new construction as well as historic homes. North Plains is nice too but does not have as much housing inventory and acreage would be very expensive. It is very close to Hillsboro and Hwy 26 which is nice for going into Ptld.

In Hillsboro the Jackson School/Sunburst Meadows/Meacham Meadows area is very popular. Its several planned developments that have connected over the years, but its not cookie cutter as there were many different builders over time. There are 4 excellent schools right within the neighborhood that bring the community together and provide recreation. There are also walking paths, woods, a creek, tennis courts & pools. Its very family friendly and a good investment because the homeowners all take pride. It used to be competitive to get into it but I believe the market has cooled. The downside would be its about 10 minutes to any shopping as its on the west edge of town. Its more of a rural feeling, just across Evergreen Rd is nothing but fields.

The Orenco area has a village feel to it and is more shopping/transportation friendly. MAX (train) runs right through there. You could walk to Starbucks in the morning or get fresh baked bread from New Seasons Market. In the summer/fall, they have a Farmers Market on Sundays. Its also close to a HUGE Costco and new library. Most of the homes are newer craftsmen style on smaller lots.

Last edited by taketime; 01-22-2008 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-22-2008, 10:36 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,058,101 times
Kandy, thats crazy, but kinda cool...smallish world, eh?
you know if you want a bit more rural, but really close to FG, maybe theres something up for sale in Gaston? Or Yamhill? I love Yamhill.
My dad is enamored with McMinnville...I really like it too......
Theres a few good options out that way....Very very pretty area IMO. Of course, Im biased, I think about 98% of Oregon is very very pretty.
Tiffany

Old 01-23-2008, 05:21 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,115,136 times
Forest Grove is a neat town...semi-seriously considered moving there when we bought a house (moved to Beaverton-Aloha-Hillsboro intersection area instead). The big drawback was the difficult commute to PDX. There's no easy highway access; you have to go north a ways just to get onto 26. Banks/North Plains are right up on 26.

Still, of the 3, I like FG the best...it's the "quaintest." If you're only commuting to Hillsboro the distance is quite manageable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland