Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 10:51 AM

5,462 posts, read 8,180,020 times

Advertisements

The KBOI article referenced by the OP is typical clickbait.

Not enough information to determine what is happening.

Lousy reporting: Made a half-hearted attempt to contact property management but didn't follow up.

Told one side of the story and that side didn't seem to know what was going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 05:45 PM

616 posts, read 645,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thequeen1 View Post
I used to love Oregon and then I moved to the bay area and had a total love affair with san Francisco; stayed 16 years, had a great job and friends and then my husband decided it would be better for our health if we moved back; we were starting to get into retirement age and SF was so expensive so I agreed. we came up here in 02 and the first four years were horrible; hardly any jobs, pay cut in half; we really struggled; we couldn't even get food stamps; then we thought hey lets move to sacramento. so, while we were trying to put that plan in motion, I had a horrible debilitating accident that left me in a wheelchair so that ended our trying to escape from pdx; the reason i'm saying this is yes, there are other states, but maybe the poster is unable to relocate. we just have to make the best of it. PDX is shady; a lot of companies fly under the radar and hurt folks that are low income. they run shady operations and who suffers? low income folks; if you've got enough bread to live a good lifestyle in PDX, it might be ok, but the fixed/low income folks have to pay the cost. just sayin'
sorry for your situation sounds awful and you are right there are crappy mngmt companies. I happen to work for a very pro resident company and sometimes I forget that there are crooks out there. I could list at least 15 companies around here that I would not work for and would not consider living in one of their places. I am blessed that I have a very nice apt at a reasonable price and have a 3 year lease.
With growth comes pain. I lived in DC for 4 years and their rents make Portland look dirt look cheap. Wages are about 20% higher there but rents were more than double what they are here.

But ........Portland isnt the only place with shady apt owners

Old 06-29-2015, 12:32 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
There are good management people and companies in Portland, I just notice a strong pattern of many of them being predatory in the area, based on my experience and what I have heard from others. I'm not saying it's the worst on the planet, but it's definitely far from the least corrupt too.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
There are good management people and companies in Portland, I just notice a strong pattern of many of them being predatory in the area, based on my experience and what I have heard from others. I'm not saying it's the worst on the planet, but it's definitely far from the least corrupt too.
give me some examples???
Boston?
Seattle?
San Francisco?
Kansas City?
St Louis?
Charlotte?
Baltimore?
Pittsburgh?
Cincinnati?
Virginia Beach?
Dallas?
Chicago?
DesMoines?
Oakland?
Jersey City?
Buffalo?
New Orleans?
Dallas?
Washington DC?
?????????

Old 06-30-2015, 06:50 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
answer to all this---save money buy your own house--put AC where you like

??? ??? ??? ???

Low income + buy your own house ??? ??? ??? ???

Did you read the freaking link ??? ??? ??? ???

Reading Is Fundamental

Old 06-30-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? ??? ???

Low income + buy your own house ??? ??? ??? ???

Did you read the freaking link ??? ??? ??? ???

Reading Is Fundamental
ya I read the link did you read my other posts?

I just see a bunch of whining all over these pages day in and day out.

BTW I live in an apt too

Old 06-30-2015, 12:01 PM

300 posts, read 267,438 times
Quote:
ya I read the link did you read my other posts?

I just see a bunch of whining all over these pages day in and day out.

BTW I live in an apt too
If you can't take the "heat" get out of the kitchen!

Old 06-30-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedownlow View Post
If you can't take the "heat" get out of the kitchen!
I have air conditioning

paid $99 @ Lowes

Old 06-30-2015, 09:47 PM

300 posts, read 267,438 times
Quote:
I have air conditioning

paid $99 @ Lowes
Well you're one of the lucky ones. I'm unfortunately roasting away.

Its kind of a pain with those cheap side sliding windows here that have probably been in this complex since 1986. It makes it virtually impossible to install a regular window unit. The portable was too expensive and felt cheap for the price.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedownlow View Post
Well you're one of the lucky ones. I'm unfortunately roasting away.

Its kind of a pain with those cheap side sliding windows here that have probably been in this complex since 1986. It makes it virtually impossible to install a regular window unit. The portable was too expensive and felt cheap for the price.
I probably have the same windows as you have, My AC isnt more than 18 inches wide and had the plexi glass cut at home depot for about $20. My cheapy AC has lasted 4 years and is on as we speak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland