Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 05:19 PM

679 posts, read 880,404 times

Advertisements

No! (To Happy Valley). Beaverton! Best of the 'burbs and convenient to your hub's office in the NW. I have to laugh. You're basically on the same trajectory my husband and I were last year, except we wanted a condo. If I can offer any specific help please send me a dm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 05:48 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,591,101 times
The first thing that comes to my mind about Happy Valley is the commute to downtown Portland. If you think that is where you want to live rent first so that you can experience the commute and make sure that is what you want to do.

If recently constructed homes and a commute by freeway is what you are looking for consider Bethany.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 8,627 times
Would not do Happy Valley. Yuck. Beaverton and even Hillsboro are more livable. I personally live in Hillsboro and love it, but I live in a cute old downtown area (instead of a suburban strip mall hell).

About the only pro I see to Happy Valley is the view... but I have a friend who lives there and it really is just bland subdivisions and they have to drive to get anywhere.

Either way I would suggest renting first. I was lucky enough to grow up in the area so I knew where I wanted/would not want to be. Who knows, you might rent in Happy Valley and love it.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:54 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,303,835 times
The 97219 zip code area has a few decent homes (imo) in your range. Have a look at MLS#'s 15522752, 15465687 & 15411654

Old 11-23-2015, 02:42 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,430,707 times
Another No vote for Happy Valley. Unless you like tract homes very close together with little in the way of usable yards. The views are very hit or miss; some houses on the same block might have a view but some won't - even if they're all on a hill. And the commute will be worse than from most West side locations.

IMO the only reasons to move to Happy Valley are if you work on the East side of the Willamette and you want a bigger house but can't afford larger homes in the good areas of the East side of Portland and you need great schools.

Would recommend you look in Southwest Portland, Beaverton, or Hillsboro.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:08 PM

13 posts, read 13,752 times
Message received, loud and clear! lol Happy Valley is a no go zone and it's unanimous!

Thanks for the offer Tulippsy! I may have to take you up on it. I am going to look at those MLS listings you suggested Sherwoody, right now.

We are just so surprised that the older fixers (and I mean...need a lot of work) are the same price or more than the brand spanking new homes that will have new roofs, new heating units, new windows, new floors etc.. Why is there no reflection in the price of the obvious need for improvements? Is it just location, location, location?

We had plans with friends this weekend so I'm just now have time to come to see the replies. Now, back to the drawing board!

Old 11-23-2015, 10:10 PM

478 posts, read 882,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandPortland View Post

We are just so surprised that the older fixers (and I mean...need a lot of work) are the same price or more than the brand spanking new homes that will have new roofs, new heating units, new windows, new floors etc.. Why is there no reflection in the price of the obvious need for improvements? Is it just location, location, location?
Lots of reasons. A lot of the newer houses are really just ticky-tacky boxes, as the old song goes. Their newer whatever may be the cheapest builder's quality while older houses may have significantly nicer upgrades. As mentioned, they are on tiny lots. Because there's no room for big housing developments within the Portland city limits, they're in the less desirable suburbs. They don't have big trees. They usually aren't in walkable neighborhoods. And so on.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Message received, loud and clear! lol Happy Valley is a no go zone and it's unanimous!

Thanks for the offer Tulippsy! I may have to take you up on it. I am going to look at those MLS listings you suggested Sherwoody, right now.

We had plans with friends this weekend so I'm just now have time to come to see the replies. Now, back to the drawing board!
I just wanted to throw something out there for you to comment on so we can get an idea what you are looking for. Maybe if you post a listing of a random home style you like it may help get more reply's.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:45 AM

13 posts, read 13,752 times
If we could see this today, I think we'd buy it! 5745 SW 192nd Ave, Aloha, OR 97078 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

We had already liked one of your links as well, Sherwoody. MLS#15465687 It would need some updating for us, but the price leaves us some room to do that. (not that we really want to deal with that again!)

We have decided to fly out there soon. Maybe between Thanksgiving and Christmas, if not, right after the first of the year. We are trying to move our emotions away from this house we have put so much into, and to what will be our new home for perhaps many years. Or at least the next 4 or 5.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
If we could see this today, I think we'd buy it! 5745 SW 192nd Ave, Aloha, OR 97078 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

We had already liked one of your links as well, Sherwoody. MLS#15465687 It would need some updating for us, but the price leaves us some room to do that. (not that we really want to deal with that again!)

We have decided to fly out there soon. Maybe between Thanksgiving and Christmas, if not, right after the first of the year. We are trying to move our emotions away from this house we have put so much into, and to what will be our new home for perhaps many years. Or at least the next 4 or 5.
Homes like the one on 192nd (good find) sell fast. I'd say it will sell in a matter of days, like 2 or 3. The home on 2nd backs up to Babur Blvd. and has that green/white farm kitchen that may not appeal to many.

Good examples to show the price difference between in close and further out though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland