Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 03:06 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
You don't build enough housing to keep the costs in line. Subdivide some land and build small homes on small lots instead of 3 story McMansions with outrageous HOA fees.

Well just DUH. The housing and land use rules are written by INCUMBENT residents, who have a vested interest in increasing the value of their homes. Which means they're not going to have any incentive to build enough to keep costs in line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 05:37 PM

300 posts, read 267,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCM7950 View Post
Riverside county is a third world dump! No comparison between the two.
Have you seen the Portland suburbs lately?

Old 04-18-2016, 11:05 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Well just DUH. The housing and land use rules are written by INCUMBENT residents, who have a vested interest in increasing the value of their homes. Which means they're not going to have any incentive to build enough to keep costs in line.
Actually, it's a case of them having a vested interest in maintaining the value of their neighborhood(s).

You also might want to brush up on your government knowledge. Residents don't write housing rules. Elected officials write those laws.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:07 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Elected officials write those laws.
True, though even if elected officials are (at least theoretically) impartial managers of the greater good, they almost always are residents themselves, whose support, both monetarily and in terms of votes, comes from other residents.

Heck, look at Hales' backing of REDUCED density in his own damn neighborhood:
Charlie Hales advocates for less density in Eastmoreland | OregonLive.com

Maybe there was a sound public policy rationale for that, IDK, I haven't heard one, but it sure looks a lot like he's serving just the limited needs of himself and his immediate fellow property owners.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:35 PM

26 posts, read 30,292 times
Do you mind if I ask your price range and how close in you need to be? Been on that hunt myself for eight months.

I can tell you that if you are willing to take a chance on an outer SE area, like Mill Park, you can get a lot of lovely house for a lot less than close in. I saw some amazing 1950s ranch houses on large lots. I chose against it because I have kids who are old enough to walk to parks, etc alone and the crime around those areas were a little concerning, plus schools are weak.

But the streets where these houses were located seemed very safe. If I had kids who were older or no kids, I would have seriously considered settling there. But I'm moving out of the area a bit for better schools and lower prices.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland