Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 09:58 AM

77 posts, read 71,664 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move from Michigan to the Pacific Northwest. Of the three major cities (Por,Sea,Van) I liked Portland the most, and would be happiest there. But Vancouver has a huge presence in the film industry, so I've been looking there mostly. The problem is I'm having one hell of a time trying to move internationally. So, is there enough "going on" in Portland in the film/tv industry to warrant moving there for a few years? (I have claimed dual citizenship, but that process takes forever, and instead of waiting in Michigan, I'd rather move to where I can be happy for a while)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 10:38 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
We have several local television stations and an animation studio. Frankly not much to work with. I met an animator working in BC last week, his project is soon to wind up and he will be networking to find something on the west coast.

Attend industry conventions/meetings and network like crazy.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:55 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Eh. While we still have Grimm/Portlandia, it's not exactly an expansive market as best I can tell. Back when Leverage was on and we had 3 shows at once the feeling seemed to be that things were only looking up, but it seems fairly plateaued to me.

Vancouver built up its prominence over many decades.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:49 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,532,400 times
Portland missed its chance in the 90s. Most of our local shows are filmed by LA crews. Portlandia is done mainly by LA folks despite claiming they hire locally. GRIMM same thing LA production company, mostly LA crews.

There was a huge controversy that the new Newport based Deadliest Catch spinoff is filmed by a LA production company who is using its LA staff to film.

As a matter of fact the US is losing out big time to canada in everything. Watch a documentary, CANADA. Watch a HGTV or History channel show, CANADA. SYFY Canada. Need a story in the pacific northwest? Why not take advantage of a great exchange rate and big tax breaks.

Even Seattle is better than Portland.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:31 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Isn't The Librarians being filmed here too?

Old 01-12-2016, 07:13 PM

311 posts, read 348,437 times
Great friends of mine got their start here in film (reality TV and infomercials) and ultimately moved to LA which is when their careers finally took off. My sense with the industry here is that it consists of a very small tight knit group and newbies will almost always be expected to start at the bottom (think P.A. work, maybe camera assist).

Old 01-14-2016, 01:39 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,532,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Isn't The Librarians being filmed here too?
Yes, and it just got renewed for a 3rd season. But.. again Electric Entertainment is LA based and is using mostly LA crews.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:43 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Yes, and it just got renewed for a 3rd season. But.. again Electric Entertainment is LA based and is using mostly LA crews.
Good to hear it's renewed though. Nice to see them come out of "The Library" at the base of The St John's Bridge in Cathedral Park. Looks like the last episode was filmed mostly in the Rose Garden. Beautiful.

I know some people who have gotten work as extras on "Grimm," "Leverage," and "Portlandia" but it hasn't created careers for them.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:53 PM

810 posts, read 852,020 times
Canada has been the place for filming for many many years. I have many Canadian friends in the industry.

it's so beautiful up there.

But I have no clue about dual citizenship or what you have to do to move/live. I do have friends who are Americans that now live and work there in the Vancouver area.

Good Luck the film industry can be very exciting to work in.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:48 AM

77 posts, read 71,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
But I have no clue about dual citizenship or what you have to do to move/live. I do have friends who are Americans that now live and work there in the Vancouver area.
That's kind of what I've been struggling with. The process itself takes 5 months to claim, and I can't seem get a work visa without a solid job offer. Since my connection there can't guarantee me any help until I move there, I'm kind of in a catch-22.

My thought (hope) was that Portland is "busy enough" that I could sign a 6- or 9- month lease (heck maybe even 12), and start accumulating PA/Grip work while I wait for my dual citizenship to come through. Then I'd still be close enough to my connection to maintain a rapport. (compared to where I am now)

Besides I've wanted to live there (Portland) ever since I visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: