Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 12:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times

Advertisements

It might be the type of homeless people. Back in the 80's when I moved to the SE neighborhood of Buckman, there were homeless people in my neighborhood. We knew them, they knew us. They even said "Hello." Neighbors gave them soda pop cans and bottles so they could have some cash, they did odd jobs for people and just sort of melted into the landscape. No one was ever harmed by them. We even had some "colorful characters" like the lady who pushed her cats around in a shopping cart.

It was kind of a lower income class area. Then came gentrification. Our usual homeless people sort of disappeared. Eventually there were replaced by teen brats who begged on the streets wearing some pretty nice clothes and shoes. They were nasty and rude. People's yards began to be used as toilets and worse. Cars were broken into. There were thefts.

The homeless downtown were pretty mild then. Now they harass people at bus stops. I was threatened a couple of times. Once the cops intervened, lucky for me. But then I was downtown all the time since I worked there all week so I had a greater chance of getting hassled.

Has it gotten worse? I would say "yes" from my own experience. Statistically, I don't know. I suspect, however, it's like that in all cities that have a homeless problem to begin with. You just live with it. I doubt Portland is going to fix it anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 05:28 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It might be the type of homeless people. Back in the 80's when I moved to the SE neighborhood of Buckman, there were homeless people in my neighborhood. We knew them, they knew us. They even said "Hello." Neighbors gave them soda pop cans and bottles so they could have some cash, they did odd jobs for people and just sort of melted into the landscape. No one was ever harmed by them. We even had some "colorful characters" like the lady who pushed her cats around in a shopping cart.

It was kind of a lower income class area. Then came gentrification. Our usual homeless people sort of disappeared. Eventually there were replaced by teen brats who begged on the streets wearing some pretty nice clothes and shoes. They were nasty and rude. People's yards began to be used as toilets and worse. Cars were broken into. There were thefts.

The homeless downtown were pretty mild then. Now they harass people at bus stops. I was threatened a couple of times. Once the cops intervened, lucky for me. But then I was downtown all the time since I worked there all week so I had a greater chance of getting hassled.

Has it gotten worse? I would say "yes" from my own experience. Statistically, I don't know. I suspect, however, it's like that in all cities that have a homeless problem to begin with. You just live with it. I doubt Portland is going to fix it anytime soon.
I wonder if that change took place with the rise of meth use. It seems like long-term meth users completely lose their filter for what is acceptable behavior and just do whatever they want.

I was threatened once too when I was working downtown. Just walking to work with a co-worker and this 20-something meth freak must have thought I looked at him wrong or something. It was about 8 in the morning so maybe he hadn't slept for a few days.

I don't think the City can do anything about the problem with homelessness. There's so much inertia of years of not dealing with the problem that doing anything would be viewed as harsh

Old 02-26-2016, 06:43 PM

270 posts, read 325,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
I don't think the City can do anything about the problem with homelessness. There's so much inertia of years of not dealing with the problem that doing anything would be viewed as harsh
That's how it was back when I was there too: something should be done, but even fifteen years ago, it had "always been like that" and was therefore very hard to change. That said, what I've read on here (thank you all for all your responses!) about providing the homeless with outhouses and storage units is a whole new kind of permissiveness. Portland will someday (hopefully soon, but...) have to figure out some kind of balance between permissiveness and public safety.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:49 PM

300 posts, read 267,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogg View Post
That's how it was back when I was there too: something should be done, but even fifteen years ago, it had "always been like that" and was therefore very hard to change. That said, what I've read on here (thank you all for all your responses!) about providing the homeless with outhouses and storage units is a whole new kind of permissiveness. Portland will someday (hopefully soon, but...) have to figure out some kind of balance between permissiveness and public safety.
Not if whoever is in office will continue to be in office. Nothing gets done. Rinse...Repeat..Rinse...Repeat.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:01 PM

270 posts, read 325,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedownlow View Post
Not if whoever is in office will continue to be in office. Nothing gets done. Rinse...Repeat..Rinse...Repeat.
How long does the current mayor have left in his term? (I forget: does Portland have term limits?)

Old 02-27-2016, 09:32 AM

478 posts, read 881,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrogg View Post
How long does the current mayor have left in his term? (I forget: does Portland have term limits?)
He's not running again; the vote for a new mayor is this year. As you can imagine, homelessness is at the top of the issues list being discussed by the candidates.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:53 PM

300 posts, read 267,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisw View Post
He's not running again; the vote for a new mayor is this year. As you can imagine, homelessness is at the top of the issues list being discussed by the candidates.
And once again, all talk, no action....

Old 02-28-2016, 07:15 AM

420 posts, read 704,494 times
Interesting thread. I lived in Portland back in the late 90s early 2000s and am considering a move back in the Beaverton area. I currently live on a main street in Columbus, Ohio, where our homeless population seems to be concentrated in one area of the city. On my regular commute (either car or bike) I see maybe 1 or 2 homeless people, at most (that is if I see any at all).

When my husband and I visited the Bay area this last October I was surprised at the amount of homeless. I recall the homeless people in Portland being concentrated around Pioneer Square and Burnside as well. It's great that crime is down, but disappointing that the homeless population has gotten so out of control.

Last edited by Pansori; 02-28-2016 at 07:27 AM..

Old 02-28-2016, 09:22 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisw View Post
...... homelessness is at the top of the issues list being discussed by the candidates.
Since it isn't possible to do anything about the homeless without hurting someone's feelings, the homeless issue in Portland is in a complete gridlock and is totally intractable.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:26 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Just the usual mix of Crips, Bloods, and various Latino gangs, many of these off shoots from the Los Angeles area.

Gang violence in Portland breaks all time record

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...EPtitWz4&hl=en
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland