Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:07 AM
vlw vlw started this thread

22 posts, read 162,075 times

Advertisements

I was checking out the crime in colorado springs. The crime stoppers unsolved homicides were quite scary. Is this a safe area to live? I have a soon to be teen daughter and a husband in the army and would like to make sure we will be safe when he is gone. What about home invasions? The area is so beautiful and I don't want my fear of crime to stop me from moving there but I want to keep my daughter safe. Can anyone calm my fears? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 03:50 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,512,019 times
Where do you live now, and maybe we can compare. I've lived here my whole life and I consider it to be very safe here.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:04 PM

We live in Franklin, Pa. If you do a city data review of our crime you will see that I have never experienced much crime here. Of course we are also a small town not a large city.
We have been to Colorado and loved it. I just wanted some info from someone who lives there and knows firsthand what it is like. Since you have been there all your life I will take your word for it. I appreciate your help. I feel much better about moving. I look forward to the sunshine and low humidity. Thanks for responding.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:01 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,531 times
According to stats crime has been going down in the city, the rate. I've also heard in the local news that there is an increasing gang presence here. Personally I've seen alot of graffiti around the city that would indicate that. The city is mostly safe.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
According to stats crime has been going down in the city, the rate. I've also heard in the local news that there is an increasing gang presence here. Personally I've seen alot of graffiti around the city that would indicate that. The city is mostly safe.
Do I have to be concerned about the gangs? I never had to deal with this. Are there certain areas you just stay away from? It is hard for me to understand the gang mentality.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:45 PM

For the most part, there is essentially no danger from gangs unless you're in one.

The vast majority of gang members their most serious offense is tagging, but some of the gangs do have some association with drug dealing, burglary, etc.

There aren't really any neighborhoods that are "gang hoods" that you have stay out of or be careful what you wear - nothing like the old East L.A. There are a few neighborhoods that have more crime than others. The main area of town that I would not live - I would not buy an apartment long Fountain (the street, not the town) for the few blocks between Academy and Circle, but I would be fine to have a house in the vicinity if someone offered it to me -- but that's just me.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:15 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlw View Post
Do I have to be concerned about the gangs? I never had to deal with this. Are there certain areas you just stay away from? It is hard for me to understand the gang mentality.
Its not a huge concern right now in Colorado Springs, I just saw a thing on are local news that the number of gangs here were increasing. Theres no area of town that I'd really consider gang turf. Honestly The Springs is a very safe city, but as with any city of over 300,000 people there will be some gangs.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:34 PM

I was reading some other post about soldiers arriving to fort carson. It said that there was an increase in crime since their arrival and that there were known gang members. Do you feel there has been an increase since their arrival? It is a shame they give the military a bad rep. There are many decent men and women in the military.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:33 AM

Some people have said so, but I haven't felt or noticed it, and I live near the base. I have noticed tons of motorcycle accidents this summer - not just from soldiers riding motorcycles to base but that would be included, and we know that there is a domestic violence and suicide problem some soldiers struggle with coming back from war - the military is making efforts to help but still seems to be a day late and a dollar short so far. Last spring there seemed to be a lot of robberies going on, more than usual, but that was before the majority of new arrivals to the base came, so I don't think that can be tied to military arrivals.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:17 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,467,213 times
It actually sounds lower lately, from local news, etc. Crime goes up around Nov/Dec holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs