Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 05:35 PM

73 posts, read 183,430 times

Advertisements

The deal with any kind of art - music, visual art, performance - here in Portland is that there's always been a good community of people to hang out with, gig with, etc., but to make a living or to take yourself to the next level you need to leave for somewhere more serious or at least travel a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 10:53 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
But isn't this the case in any city?
Perhaps.

But I remember the fascinating music scene here back in the 80's when it was at it's best, when many musicians probably DID manage to eke out a living through their music. Jazz was still thriving in their hot spots (all closed at some point in the late-80's, and local jazz is barely a particle of what it used to be). Blues replaced jazz, and pop and Indie bands kept the clubs dancing. There were even more Country clubs then (Rockin' Rodeo in Sellwood was HUGE and usually packed).

Lots of things changed. I think less people attend clubs, period. I agree with the comment that people don't like to pay cover charges, but people are cheap bastards when it comes to this. With less people going to clubs, the harder it is to pay for the music without the cover charge, and musician's cost of living rises along with the rest of us.

Food and drink have gotten expensive, too, and I have started to eat before I go to a club. It can make for a spendy night, and food is where I compromise. But I am glad to pay cover charge, and I'll even throw extra into the tip pot.

I was surprised when The Lehrer outside Beaverton closed last year because the owner tried to book good local acts, and it probably had the roomiest dance floor around. But the rent was high and he couldn't draw in enough business to pay for it. I also wonder if perhaps he just didn't know how to manage.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:07 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Perhaps.

But I remember the fascinating music scene here back in the 80's when it was at it's best, when many musicians probably DID manage to eke out a living through their music. Jazz was still thriving in their hot spots (all closed at some point in the late-80's, and local jazz is barely a particle of what it used to be). Blues replaced jazz, and pop and Indie bands kept the clubs dancing. There were even more Country clubs then (Rockin' Rodeo in Sellwood was HUGE and usually packed).

Lots of things changed. I think less people attend clubs, period. I agree with the comment that people don't like to pay cover charges, but people are cheap bastards when it comes to this. With less people going to clubs, the harder it is to pay for the music without the cover charge, and musician's cost of living rises along with the rest of us.

Food and drink have gotten expensive, too, and I have started to eat before I go to a club. It can make for a spendy night, and food is where I compromise. But I am glad to pay cover charge, and I'll even throw extra into the tip pot.

I was surprised when The Lehrer outside Beaverton closed last year because the owner tried to book good local acts, and it probably had the roomiest dance floor around. But the rent was high and he couldn't draw in enough business to pay for it. I also wonder if perhaps he just didn't know how to manage.
I remember this too. Besides the cost, I think the majority of people moving to Portland just weren't interested in anything other than what was the popular music of the day. But boy you could find some good stuff if you liked jazz at one time. Folk too and rock. Actually, there was something for every taste. I knew people who started up bands and did pretty well.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:55 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,910,794 times
It's a good place for seeing a regional or alt-national level show in a medium sized or small venue, but not so great for locals.

Besides the Portland thing is people who say they're in a band...that played one show...like three years ago...and to constantly talk about how they're so great...and going to have another show soon...and...and... Usually it's a level of smug that would lead you to believe they just opened for the best band on the planet. It gets old.

Then again that's not limited to music. Anything people do in that town (or I should say don't do) is like that.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:55 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
If you're interested in developing the 'art' side of music, Portland is a pretty good place.
If you're interested in developing the 'commerce' side of music, Portland is not such a good place.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
It's a good place for seeing a regional or alt-national level show in a medium sized or small venue, but not so great for locals.

Besides the Portland thing is people who say they're in a band...that played one show...like three years ago...and to constantly talk about how they're so great...and going to have another show soon...and...and... Usually it's a level of smug that would lead you to believe they just opened for the best band on the planet. It gets old.

Then again that's not limited to music. Anything people do in that town (or I should say don't do) is like that.
LOL! I think you and I know some of the same people.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:42 PM

43 posts, read 55,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I think Portland is good for a young musician with respect to making music as there is still a fairly large avenue for such. But living here is becoming very expensive and music venues are shrinking.

In other words, it may be pretty good now, but I doubt it will be 7 years from now.

Ya see.. the "coolness" is wiping off and it was starting to when I attempted to move there some time back. I remember in 08 it was a lot better or seemed a lot better anyhow.. first impressions are everything though and if you don't see a ton of crime or minimal crime, and get an affordable hotel room near everything, then your view will be better like mine was. Some considered where I was staying a high crime area too at Comfort Inn on NE 82nd but rest assured, Felony Flats was worse. I was in a mostly Vietnamese area too over where the hotel was but I had access to MAX and busses to get to everything so I did it without a car. Moving there though, it wasn't so great and I had a car so I saw a lot more bad stuff 2nd time around and found I wasn't going to those parts enough and when I did, I wasn't even too impressed because I was able to take it all in and not just see those good trendy parts.

It seems like these good towns with good local music are shrinking now or moving to unexpected areas because lets face it, where else is there to go to for big cities? Austin and Portland, Nashville are now overrun. Asheville was known about for awhile too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: