Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 03:11 PM

173 posts, read 276,382 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a trip to Portland for around early october, and I could use some advice. I know about the weather in Portland, and that's not a factor for me. I will be alone, staying at a hostel in the Nob Hill area, and I will have no car for the whole trip. I will be coming in via Amtrak, so I will carry everything on my back to the hostel. I've done this before on another trip, so no worries about weather I can bring enough stuff with me.
The bus and light rail system appear to be overwhelming at first glance, is it easier to figure out once I'm there? As I will be staying in the Nob Hill area, I could use some suggestions for a place to eat meals near 425 NW 18th Avenue, something inexpensive but not Mcdonalds, as well as any other places I might need to know of that is in that area, like bus stops and such. If I go out everyday, how long should I stay if I want to fully experience to the following places:

forest park
Japanese Garden
hoyt arboretum
Portland art museum
Marquam Nature Park

Plus I want one more free day to just have simple fun. Could this all be done in 8 days without a car? I walk a lot, so that's not an issue for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 03:59 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times
Light rail and the buses are actually fairly easy to figure out. And there's an app to help.

As to food, NW 21st and 23rd avenues have several eateries. Sante Fe on nw 23rd is very well priced. You can also check out "cheap eats" on the Willamette Week website. Cheap Eats 2016 - Willamette Week

As to your places to see, easily done in that time. I might also suggest the World Forestry Center and Oregon Historical Society.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:21 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
The Goose Hollow Inn has fantastic Ruben sandwich. Their online menu is old but gives you a snapshot of their fare. index

https://www.oregonculinaryinstitute....er-information offers reasonable menu, fixed price. Be aware that they have only one table for one. You will need a reservation.

Another favorite is the Stepping Stone Cafe . It is a neighborhood restaurant about a block off the #15 bus line in NW Portland. The #15 bus - Gordon leg is the one you will take to or from Forest Park. Get off on NW Thurman Street at NW 29th, take the path that connects to NW Upshur Street, turn left (to the west), the park trail starts when you go under the Thurman Street bridge.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:21 PM

I'm open to changing the date of this trip, I just thought it would be best to avoid the heat and the crowds that summer brings. Of Course, I know that compared to the northeast, where I live, the summers in Portland are mild in comparison. I will be doing a lot of walking, so when does the heat end but before it gets too cold, like below 60 degrees? I don't really care about the rain, as I wish to move there someday anyway.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:27 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circa81 View Post
I'm open to changing the date of this trip, I just thought it would be best to avoid the heat and the crowds that summer brings. Of Course, I know that compared to the northeast, where I live, the summers in Portland are mild in comparison. I will be doing a lot of walking, so when does the heat end but before it gets too cold, like below 60 degrees? I don't really care about the rain, as I wish to move there someday anyway.
Late Sept/Early Oct.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:35 PM

That's what I thought, thanks.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,067,115 times
You will have plenty of time to do your planned stuff. Do add the suggestions above + Evenings at Powell Books, many nearby happy hours, Evening outdoor centric program / outing to nearby REI,
Time at portland Art Museum library and Multnomah Library is good for a rainy day / evening.

Oct is not the best garden month in Portland,
Early May is usually best for cold weather plants / rhodies.
August for Roses, summer produce, concerts in park (every night), fresh salmon, wild berries.

October is superb for Oregon coast Sunsets and hikes in Columbia Gorge. Tough to do w/o a car, but you can rent for $12 - $20 on hotwire or priceline. Or pm me. I should be back in USA by then. I have helped many c-d posters, and have had an open guest home for international travelers for last 30 yrs.

Your lodging area is not inexpensive for food, but options will exist. I usually eat on $5/ day using grocery stores and produce dept culls ( bruised) . Australia and NZ challenged $5/ day, but able to do so in other expensive metros in Europe. I stay in international hospitality homes, so always with a local host who insists on feeding me local homecooked meals. You still have plenty of time to join a hospitality guesthome network, (wikitravel lists several options) it is a 'friendly' and safe way to experience local cultures. Very safe, fun and educational. Last night we were with an author ( not uncommon). Tonight an international school with 140 students, & 3 guest speakers for next few days. Next week a retired professor (very common as well).

I really dislike 'commercial' stays (such as air b&b or hotels) too sterile / non informative / profit centric for me. My hosts all like to engage in conversations and learnings. We often sing together or share hobbies. Free to $20 / night worldwide.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:12 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,180 times
Also worth pointing out for cheap eats, food carts are the best for that with lots of great options throughout the city. Another thing to keep in mind, the hostel in the Northwest District that you might stay at is currently expanding with a major construction project right next door to it. Not sure when that will be finished compared to when you would be staying, but that could pose a serious issue to trying to enjoy yourself while staying. AirBnB is a good option to look at for alternatives to hotel or hostel stays in Portland.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:05 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I forgot about Zupan's Market at Burnside & Vista. They have a deli and a place to sit.

Elephants Delicatessen (W 22nd one block off Burnside, behind the Goodwill store) discounts their fresh food at 5 pm (I think that is the time). Otherwise their food is expensive.

The absolute best buy for lunch is the Lovejoy Market on NW 23rd between Lovejoy and Marshall Streets, across from Good Sam Hospital. Order a sandwich as you like it, chips, beverage, in a sack. No place to sit in the market.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:30 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I forgot about Zupan's Market at Burnside & Vista. They have a deli and a place to sit.

Elephants Delicatessen (W 22nd one block off Burnside, behind the Goodwill store) discounts their fresh food at 5 pm (I think that is the time). Otherwise their food is expensive.

The absolute best buy for lunch is the Lovejoy Market on NW 23rd between Lovejoy and Marshall Streets, across from Good Sam Hospital. Order a sandwich as you like it, chips, beverage, in a sack. No place to sit in the market.
That Elephants location is amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland