Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 10:25 AM

230 posts, read 260,872 times

Advertisements

I am in my early thirties and I am currently working on my second masters. This masters is in Nursing, and the first one is in chemistry. I am from the northeast NJ. I am going to be honest about so bare with me, I am set on leaving the east coast because of the hardships that I have had. There is a lot of prejudice on the east coast and that has to date affected me when it comes to employment and to some extent women.

This second masters hopefully will allow me to vacate my current state of NJ to dare I say greener pastures. I have for a brief moment lived in Albuquerque NM, which I loved. While the scenery left much to be desired the people I feel were absolutely awesome. I value people and culture more so than the environment. I want to be somewhere were I can be "free".

I do want to work in the medical field and I want to date and do the normal things. I need to be around women and lots of them to increase my chances. I have been reading about states like Oregon and Washington. I think they might be a great fit. I do like white women. I am not sure about the prevalence of interracial dating but I definitely hear that in Portland it happens.

Any information regarding this would be great. If the greater portland area is better please let me know. I don't necessarily need to be in the city per se, but it also can't be a sausage fest. Oh yea, I'm a black male and that should be taken into account. Some black males have ruined it for other black males in the country. Were not all the same and I want a place that will treat me for my actions only and not others.

I refuse to move to California, its tantamount to NJ

Old 10-15-2016, 10:45 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,070,406 times
So the PNW is basically the whitest part of the US. However, there is much more of an all inclusive vibe. Everyone lives everywhere. Not like Jersey where cultures seem to segregate themselves.

That said, sometimes it seems that there is definitely racism about but everyone is too PC to say anything out loud. And it is mostly the older people. My brother-in-law is black, my nephews are mixed race and they still notice older white people cross the street when they see them coming but no one will rudely confront them.

Its pretty safe out here, the weather is great, cost of living is much better. Their idea of bad traffic still makes me chuckle a bit (East coasters and California transplants bond over this issue)

Education is much more valued here. Your local barista will probably have a masters in something. Artists are also highly valued. There is an emerging tech scene. Forget Silicon Valley, companies are coming to the Silicon Forest. But with growth comes growing pains. High rent and real estate prices, large pay gaps, a homeless epidemic, etc...

Portland is growing up and becoming more like it's big brother, Seattle. The 90's are officially ending in Portland

Old 10-15-2016, 11:29 AM

10,994 posts, read 20,628,642 times
I recommend you apply for positions in Portland. Yes, education is highly valued here.

Applying at Kaiser Permanente has many advantages. First they have a very diverse workforce. Second they have health care groups throughout the US so if you don't like Portland after a couple years you can apply for positions elsewhere all the while staying within the system. Lastly they do research focusing on the care in health care.

The other organization that should be high on your list is OHSU. They have a large hospital (level 1 trauma center) and medical school. If I were to characterize their focus I would describe it as medical science.

We have two other hospital systems that are highly regarded: Providence and Legacy.

I have a relative who is a NP and have noticed that she moves around: OHSU, Prov and Legacy. I haven't noticed Kaiser professionals changing employers.

Socially you may feel isolated because, frankly, we don't have many Blacks. That said, in my observation, education and character are more important than race when it comes to courtship among professionals and executives. When I worked at NIKE there were inter-racial couples.

One advantage of Kaiser Permanente is that the organization makes a significant effort to serve minorities, that was the reason why Henry J. Kaiser created the program in Portland and Oakland. They are the employer of choice for many physicians because they offer a family friendly work culture.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 10-15-2016 at 11:40 AM..

Old 10-15-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I recommend you apply for positions in Portland. Yes, education is highly valued here.

Applying at Kaiser Permanente has many advantages. First they have a very diverse workforce. Second they have health care groups throughout the US so if you don't like Portland after a couple years you can apply for positions elsewhere all the while staying within the system. Lastly they do research focusing on the care in health care.

The other organization that should be high on your list is OHSU. They have a large hospital (level 1 trauma center) and medical school. If I were to characterize their focus I would describe it as medical science.

We have two other hospital systems that are highly regarded: Providence and Legacy.

I have a relative who is a NP and have noticed that she moves around: OHSU, Prov and Legacy. I haven't noticed Kaiser professionals changing employers.

Socially you may feel isolated because, frankly, we don't have many Blacks. That said, in my observation, education and character are more important than race when it comes to courtship among professionals and executives. When I worked at NIKE there were inter-racial couples.

One advantage of Kaiser Permanente is that the organization makes a significant effort to serve minorities, that was the reason why Henry J. Kaiser created the program in Portland and Oakland. They are the employer of choice for many physicians because they offer a family friendly work culture.
Thankyou for your response. I have been closely monitoring Legacy Health as far as jobs go. I will also look into OSHU. The lack of blacks is not a concern. I am West Indian (Haitian), which entails different culture and upbringing. Furthermore, the northeast is a mixed bag of ethnicities, I get along with everyone.

I read about Kaiser and the history. That is pretty cool.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
So the PNW is basically the whitest part of the US. However, there is much more of an all inclusive vibe. Everyone lives everywhere. Not like Jersey where cultures seem to segregate themselves.

That said, sometimes it seems that there is definitely racism about but everyone is too PC to say anything out loud. And it is mostly the older people. My brother-in-law is black, my nephews are mixed race and they still notice older white people cross the street when they see them coming but no one will rudely confront them.

Its pretty safe out here, the weather is great, cost of living is much better. Their idea of bad traffic still makes me chuckle a bit (East coasters and California transplants bond over this issue)

Education is much more valued here. Your local barista will probably have a masters in something. Artists are also highly valued. There is an emerging tech scene. Forget Silicon Valley, companies are coming to the Silicon Forest. But with growth comes growing pains. High rent and real estate prices, large pay gaps, a homeless epidemic, etc...

Portland is growing up and becoming more like it's big brother, Seattle. The 90's are officially ending in Portland
Thanks for your response, Examples like this give me added incentive.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:18 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,925,424 times
I am familiar with the NE but OR is beyond culture shock. Growing up in SF, myself, and moving to NYC was culture shock for me, though, and I did well on the east. Some people can transplant from one coast to to the other but it's been my experience that most can't. I meet East coasters out here, especially in OR, that never acclimate to west coast culture. The west is more passive aggressive and esp. Oregon. OR has the worst history towards African Americans compared to WA and CA. Of course there are interracial couples here and my family is multi- racial however my husband has felt so much casual racism, more when we lived in Portland but less in the western burbs. There is racism everywhere, of course, but the more diverse area you can live in the better. OHSU is very diverse but I haven't seen many African American make professionals whenever I go there. You may love it here and I can't say. Have savings so you can move if it doesn't work out- that's the best advice I have. I am not overly optimistic lately since Portland seems as racist today as it did when I moved here almost seven years ago. Research your options. Good luck.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I am familiar with the NE but OR is beyond culture shock. Growing up in SF, myself, and moving to NYC was culture shock for me, though, and I did well on the east. Some people can transplant from one coast to to the other but it's been my experience that most can't. I meet East coasters out here, especially in OR, that never acclimate to west coast culture. The west is more passive aggressive and esp. Oregon. OR has the worst history towards African Americans compared to WA and CA. Of course there are interracial couples here and my family is multi- racial however my husband has felt so much casual racism, more when we lived in Portland but less in the western burbs. There is racism everywhere, of course, but the more diverse area you can live in the better. OHSU is very diverse but I haven't seen many African American make professionals whenever I go there. You may love it here and I can't say. Have savings so you can move if it doesn't work out- that's the best advice I have. I am not overly optimistic lately since Portland seems as racist today as it did when I moved here almost seven years ago. Research your options. Good luck.
are you black?

Old 10-15-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj1215 View Post
are you black?
No. I am mixed race and my husband is a POC though I don't like to say too much about our backgrounds on forums as I have experienced some harassment in the past.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
No. I am mixed race and my husband is a POC though I don't like to say too much about our backgrounds on forums as I have experienced some harassment in the past.
Gotcha, what type of culture shock do you speak of? I have seen quite a bit over here on the east coast. So please elaborate.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnj1215 View Post
Gotcha, what type of culture shock do you speak of? I have seen quite a bit over here on the east coast. So please elaborate.
When I arrived in the 90's, and pretty comfortable with most of the east coast as a visitor, I found LIVING in NYC to be completely different from
visiting. Example: my first job in NYC where I had to become much more aggressive. West coast is more passive aggressive so I had to increase my intensity and extreme clarity. When I went home to visit there was a marked change in my speaking and I was noticeably more aggressive. I noticed dating, everywhere on the East, the men are so much more forward, aggressive and loud compared to men who grew up on the west coast. Not surprising that I found another SF native living in NYC and married him. In NYC I learned to ask for what I wanted and learned to keep at whatever I truly wanted. I am quite thankful to NYC for giving me that trait, which I had lacked before living in a city that pushes you to be better or breaks you.

Portland is beyond laid back and is very passive aggressive. You may love this. I am just saying that The Tri- State area is so different from the Pac NW, especially Portland. Come visit and check out all quadrants, the burbs, drive to Seattle. Personally I would consider Seattle over Porrland if I were a single man but my observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: