Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 02:45 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,037 times

Advertisements

Apparently 'women' are now being defined as only those 'females' who are not 'pro-life'. Those who are 'pro-life' are not welcome from what I heard.

I had to laugh when I heard that though - gotta love the morphing of the language for political purposes - since you say that not only Moms but Dads and kids are going to the Women's March.

Is the 'protesting' against other 'females' who just don't happen to believe that killing off the kids is a great thing?

Old 01-19-2017, 03:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Portland couldn't even get their march right. So much infighting....hopefully, it won't be taken over by opportunists, but it's Portland, so yes, chances are good that there will be violence. And please. Initial organizers said no political signs of any kind are allowed, so "pro" lifers weren't specifically targeted.

ETA this thing isn't about trying to change the minds of voters -- it's a bit too late for that, and people don't change their minds about politics because of marches. On of the aims is to let the rest of the world know that a lot of United States citizens don't support Putin's puppet and are aware of the threat to democracy that he represents. And I suppose it reinforces the sense of solidarity that'll be necessary in the coming years...I think I would be cautious about taking a child to this event as well.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-19-2017 at 04:05 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 04:10 PM

48 posts, read 57,775 times
We demand President Pence!

It does seem sort of passive-aggressive to protest without specific demands.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:14 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
I am curious why anyone would believe that someone protesting and wearing a symbolic vagina (or whatever part it is supposed to be) on their head is going to be taken seriously. It's laughable and will not make one bit of difference.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:23 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
JUST STAY HOME PLEASE.

Wishing is as good as protesting in this town.

At least you could stay home, have a pizza and wine party, have fun, and accomplish the same results.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:30 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
The Women's March has a platform.

https://www.womensmarch.com/principles/

Tl;Dr,

they are asking for an equal rights amendment. Those of you who know American history should know what that was. This time they want it inclusive of LGBT.

I live in Bend and cannot attend because of both my and my wife's work schedules. There will be a small event in Bend, though, that we'll try to make if we can.

As far as we're concerned, this is not for Trump supporters. It's for the 45% of Americans that did not vote, the 54% of Americans that voted for someone other than Trump, and most importantly, as a message to the world that not all Americans are like Trump nor have truck with his brand of politics.

Last edited by redguard57; 01-19-2017 at 07:49 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 07:46 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,785 times
I think all women- and people who support them-) are welcome...
my friend example is bringing her husband and 2 sons- THREE MEN-

Just because they are asking for no political signs doesn't mean they are "anti- " anything.

(One thing I don't get about the "pro- lifers" on abortion is-- You don't believe in abortion- Great- JUST DONT HAVE ONE, same thing for LGBT, its like freedom of religion)....

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 01-19-2017 at 07:48 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 01-19-2017, 09:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
I'm not necessarily against the march, and certainly not what it stands for, but small businesses will suffer and some people will have difficulty getting back and forth to work -- for the second day in a row because of Friday's protests. Portland is already being urged to consider a measure (that will probably fail) to set rental rates for February at $0 across the city for people who were negatively affected by recent weather events. Now some people are going to lose even more money. I know, someone will come back with there are more important issues here than someone's paycheck or a small business's bottom line, but some are just barely hanging on. A couple of days of missed wages could land some people on the street.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-19-2017 at 09:56 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 10:16 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
I think all women- and people who support them-) are welcome...
my friend example is bringing her husband and 2 sons- THREE MEN-

Just because they are asking for no political signs doesn't mean they are "anti- " anything.

(One thing I don't get about the "pro- lifers" on abortion is-- You don't believe in abortion- Great- JUST DONT HAVE ONE, same thing for LGBT, its like freedom of religion)....
Probably same reason anti second amendment people don't just shut up and NOT buy a gun if they don't want one.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:14 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
On saturday January the 21st

Anyone else here going?

Our household is going...
Just heard on NPR (OPB) that 34,000 people have indicated they will be attending (via "various social outlets" whatever that means)...

My hopes it will be a peaceful gathering....
(It scares me alittle all the tips on getting out if it gets stirred up, that there may be agent provocateurs there to cause trouble).

Not trying to be "too radical" or offend anyone just by bringing this up- but it is a big event...
My family and I are going and meeting other families coming from Beaverton. Hopefully will see some families we know from Portland, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland