Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 12:05 AM

131 posts, read 128,020 times

Advertisements

I've recently moved back after few yrs away and brought my car with me, which is a normal sedan. I hear people telling me if I think about getting a new car, I should get a 4wd due to poor road conditions in the winter. They are saying these past few winters have been pretty bad, and roads are not cleaned properly, especially in residential areas and suburbs. When it comes to getting to work and moving around, they had problems for a couple weeks this winter and 4WD made a big difference. On top of it, there is a lot of hills here so what's the deal? I see many SUVs on the road, but many regular cars too.

Last edited by kompromat; 05-25-2017 at 01:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 01:19 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
I think it depends on the specifics of where you live. On a hillside? Out on NW Rock Creek? (My buddy there didn't have power for 2 weeks and ran off the road into a ditch coming home from work one night, it was a suburu 4 wheel drive...)--
Here in flat SE - nope, really not needed, we also go camping a lot and the truck we take for that doesn't have 4 wheel drive (and its been in some rough country, although not snowy iced rough country). I also just came from the Sierras where my vehicle was- and is- a Honda Fit, it was fine... we just didn't go up into the high country during winter conditions, and 2 years into 2 pretty rough (for Portland ) winters, the Honda was fine... I think there was one day it was iced in....

Old 05-25-2017, 01:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Front Wheel Drive will be fine. You might need studs or chains for a couple freezing rain days.

I have lived in the wicked Columbia River Gorge for 28 yrs. No AWD or 4x4 required. (though would of been nice a few times) I just can't seem to find a 4x4 that gets 50 mpg on free used cooking oil.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:27 AM

131 posts, read 128,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
I think it depends on the specifics of where you live. On a hillside? Out on NW Rock Creek? (My buddy there didn't have power for 2 weeks and ran off the road into a ditch coming home from work one night, it was a suburu 4 wheel drive...)--
Here in flat SE - nope, really not needed, we also go camping a lot and the truck we take for that doesn't have 4 wheel drive (and its been in some rough country, although not snowy iced rough country). I also just came from the Sierras where my vehicle was- and is- a Honda Fit, it was fine... we just didn't go up into the high country during winter conditions, and 2 years into 2 pretty rough (for Portland ) winters, the Honda was fine... I think there was one day it was iced in....
Mostly SW/NW

Old 05-25-2017, 11:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Front Wheel Drive will be fine. You might need studs or chains for a couple freezing rain days.

I have lived in the wicked Columbia River Gorge for 28 yrs. No AWD or 4x4 required. (though would of been nice a few times) I just can't seem to find a 4x4 that gets 50 mpg on free used cooking oil.
Can you find a FWD sedan that gets 50mpg on free used cooking oil? Does your household actually generate 20 gallons of waste cooking oil every week? <dubious>

Old 05-25-2017, 12:31 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,457,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kompromat View Post
I've recently moved back after few yrs away and brought my car with me, which is a normal sedan. I hear people telling me if I think about getting a new car, I should get a 4wd due to poor road conditions in the winter. They are saying these past few winters have been pretty bad, and roads are not cleaned properly, especially in residential areas and suburbs. When it comes to getting to work and moving around, they had problems for a couple weeks this winter and 4WD made a big difference. On top of it, there is a lot of hills here so what's the deal? I see many SUVs on the road, but many regular cars too.
Those weather conditions you are describing only happen every few years and only last a week or so at the most.

Unless you have a job that absolutely requires you to be there, a two wheel drive car will work fine.
Just a front wheel drive with chains or good studless snow tires will get you anywhere you need to go if you pick your battles wisely.

If you like winter activities in the mountains, or recreational four wheeling, or anything like that where you will encounter slippery conditions, ice, snow, and mud, then yes a four wheel drive may be a better choice.

I'm guessing that most people around here with FWD probably never really have to use it.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:30 PM

111 posts, read 102,708 times
If you want to be self reliant & responsible, then the answer is: YES

Old 05-25-2017, 04:28 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,771 times
First and foremost, are you looking at actual 4WD or are you interested in AWD? There's a difference. Second, most SUV's are FWD unless they're actually built on a truck frame (very few are), then they're usually RWD. They can come with AWD or 4WD also. Lastly, there is a difference between FWD, RWD, AWD, and 4WD.

tl;dr tires and clearance are more important than drivetrain.

This is my research results for when I moved here. If you do a quick search, you can see what the difference is between the 4 different drivetrains and which excel in what types of environment. Since you didn't really state what your concerns are (or theirs), it's hard to state. For most types of snow, fwd is the preferred. AWD/4WD help with traction, but not handling. Newer AWD cars are set-up so they adapt to what is needed or more efficient. 4WD are usually for off-roading type of environment. No clue how RWD really does as I didn't have one and knew that in light snow, FWD is the winner.

If you're concerned with getting stuck at home/work, tire type and clearance will probably be more important than drivetrain. As for ice and deep snow, AWD/4WD will get better traction, but again, if you have a FWD SUV, you might just want studded tires and that'll probably work just as well.

I have a FWD Mazda 3. When it's icy, I can't do much in my regular tired, but in snow, I've been fine as long as it's not too high. I also upgraded to Nokian extreme weather rated tires; louder but worked awesome during this past winter....except when I tried to go up a small incline that was iced and I had to start from a dead stop (if I was moving, I was fine, so I just rolled back until I could get a "running start" lol).

Old 05-25-2017, 07:17 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Typical Portland forum a thread about 4x4 use as winter comes to a close. Look. It's like this. And I have no dog in this hunt. I am not sure that its true that tires and clearance are more important than drivetrain. Drivetrain is very important, more on that later. But unsaid so far is this... it was truly gnarly for about two weeks this winter... two weeks. Out of a whole year... ...and that was a winter that was much worse than usual. It would serve a person right if they bought some BASUV (use your imagination) or or 4x4 that got ~13mpg everyday, in preparation for two weeks in an outlier winter. As a mass transit user I have had occasions to be out in the snow for long periods of time watching a variety of road going motor vehicles navigate snowy and icy roads. These are my observations: 4x4 and AWD do not appear to have any advantage on ice. Even studded tires are of limited use on steep hills. Especially if you can't resist mashing the gas pedal when the light turns green. Between RWD and FWD there is no contest in snow. FWD is the clear winner. Good thing since they are the dominant powertrain configuration, for reasons having little to do with their handling advantage in snow. The takeaway is really this... it really shouldn't matter what kind of vehicle you get for snow and ice because you shouldn't be driving in it!!!! Thousands of cars and trucks were abandoned in just the first few hours of the first snowstorm last winter. Hundreds more were damaged by the actions of other vehicles in the succeeding days. Is it worth it? I say no, but who am I. I'm just the forum tree hugger, car light, practical type. But about the FWD vs RWD thing, I am on target. Get the FWD and leave it buried until they clear (mostly) the roads. FWIW.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:16 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,457,186 times
OMG!

For once Leisesturm and I agree on something!

I would also like to comment on the post that said "If you want to be self reliant & responsible, then the answer is: YES".

If you live someplace like I do, 40-50 miles out of Portland in a small mountain valley, you definitely 100% better have a 4x4 or you ain't going nowhere during a lot of the winter.

If you live in town, a 4x4 is absolutely not necessary.
There are a lot of options for you if you need to get around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland