Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 05:02 PM

46 posts, read 37,016 times

Advertisements

Most of you seem sincere in answering people that want to either know more or move to Portland.
That is a great attitude and likely helpful.
But some of you are just disturbed, hateful and t'd off at anyone who has ANY criticism of Portland?
And some of you seem to LIVE here. Hmmm.
WHY IS THAT?
Can't people make up their own minds without your self righteous "be true to your school" types??
Portland has MANY great things, AND.....some not so great things.
Moving to another city is, for most people, a pretty big deal.Moving from the east coast, or the sunbelt is a pretty radical adjustment.OBVIOUSLY it isn't for everyone. WHY do you pretend it is?
Save the hate and trolling, answer the question! WHY so upset???

Old 06-09-2017, 05:09 PM

356 posts, read 409,693 times
Because people who aren't residents of Portland are soliciting sincere advice. When someone gives advice that we think is wrong, naive, or vindictive, we call it out. I'll ask you. Why so upset?

Who pretends that moving from another coast to Portland isn't a radical adjustment? I can't imagine that anyone here would say that. It's just a fact.

Many of those who give blanket criticism of Portland (I mean EVERYTHING is wrong with Portland, they argue), are just internet trolls. That's all they do. That's what they live for. They don't explain or come across as thoughtful. They just spout hatred. They're amusing, in a sad way. As you say, Portland has many great things and, as they exemplify, some not so great things.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:19 PM

Because people who aren't residents of Portland are soliciting sincere advice. When someone gives advice that we think is wrong, naive, or vindictive, we call it out.

Uh...IRONY anyone>??
I'm hardly upset? I simply asked a question, a harmless sincere question.That obviously disturbed you.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:46 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,377 times
I try to be helpful but also humorous. Not sure it always comes across. Sometimes I've had to spell it out and try to lighten it up.

I know I can be corny and I'm creatively working on the jokes. Practice makes perfect, right? My aim has been to make others smile and laugh more hopefully by injecting some humor.

Why so serious all the time?

It's just a message board. Learn to sort the rubbish out and don't let things get under your skin so much.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:44 PM

I was fooled by your caps, pdxex. Those looked like signs of upsetness.

You can ask me why I'm upset, but I can't ask you? Yes there is some irony there. You indeed asked a harmless sincere question, and I indeed gave you a harmless sincere answer. We seem to be having trouble with threats and sincerity here.

I'm smiling, are you?

Old 06-09-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Lassiter View Post
I was fooled by your caps, pdxex. Those looked like signs of upsetness.

You can ask me why I'm upset, but I can't ask you? Yes there is some irony there. You indeed asked a harmless sincere question, and I indeed gave you a harmless sincere answer. We seem to be having trouble with threats and sincerity here.

I'm smiling, are you?
Fair enough. I'm not angry at all.
I just am mystified WHY some of you are so illogically and angrily territorial.
As for my use of caps, I find the 20 year old thing of it being shouting to be silly and obsolete.It's simply for emphasis, nothing else.The internet REALLY needs to grow up and move along.
NOT directed at you, a general comment.
I do find some people post misleading information in their zeal to love, love love Portland.
Portland could be so much more than it is, I keep hoping! But it always seems the stepchild.If it were like it was in the 60's-70's I'd get a summer home there.THEN it was open minded and cool.It SEEMED to be heading toward something good. It blew it along the way.
When I visit, I don't feel comfortable in my home town.
I encounter way too much crime, VERY pretentious people, a wasted downtown full of angry homeless nutcases, everyone trying to sell a piece of Portland.
NOBODY preserving anything or caring about tradition, heritage or history.
IF you'd like to see Portland in it's unpretentious days, I suggest you Google the great photographs of Alan Delay.Yep, father of Paul. Check 'em out!

Last edited by pdxex; 06-09-2017 at 08:07 PM..

Old 06-09-2017, 09:19 PM

Well, I also find some people post misleading information in their zeal to hate, hate, hate Portland.
Works both ways, no?

Yes, Portland today is not quite the Portland I grew up in, but things change, Everywhere. You can't pretend that time will stop. Portland grew up, as all of us did. Can't fault it or us for that.

The old Portland indeed had tradition, heritage, and history. Some of it was pretty embarrassing. Portland used to be a really dirty town. There was icky smog, and you wouldn't put your toe in the Willamette River. None of that now. You used to encounter loads of outwardly racist and bigoted people. Yep, they're still around, but the city as a whole has moved beyond them. They don't come close to defining us anymore. I'm not offended by pretentious people (I just avoid them), and you'll find more pretentiousness in other American burgs. Angry, homeless nutcases downtown? Geez, you remember lower Burnside? They've been mostly gentrified out, and are finding other places to stay. I guess it was handy when they were all there where we could easily avoid them.

Do I love, love, love Portland? Nah. But I respect it. I even admire it. Am I posting misleading information? Am I being territorial? I don't think so. Are you posting misleading information in your zeal? I could argue that you are. To each his or her own. But it could be considered therapeutic to talk about it, and I respect your sincerity. Many people here who have a zeal to hate hate hate Portland seem to love to do so. You're not coming across like that.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:52 AM

29 posts, read 34,546 times
I've recently posted an appeal for help for a very distressing situation and was told by one respondent (basically) to do my own research somewhere else. I'm done.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:14 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slw268 View Post
I've recently posted an appeal for help for a very distressing situation and was told by one respondent (basically) to do my own research somewhere else. I'm done.
You asked a question, got 4 immediate answers; 3 of which were polite, helpful and useful, and one somewhat rude from someone who posts maybe once a year - and for that you condemn an entire forum/area of the country?

I'd say a 3/4 positive response on a CD forum is actually a good thing.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:28 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Lassiter View Post
Well, I also find some people post misleading information in their zeal to hate, hate, hate Portland.
Works both ways, no?

Yes, Portland today is not quite the Portland I grew up in, but things change, Everywhere. You can't pretend that time will stop.Portland grew up, as all of us did. Can't fault it or us for that.

The old Portland indeed had tradition, heritage, and history. Some of it was pretty embarrassing. Portland used to be a really dirty town. There was icky smog, and you wouldn't put your toe in the Willamette River. None of that now. You used to encounter loads of outwardly racist and bigoted people. Yep, they're still around, but the city as a whole has moved beyond them. They don't come close to defining us anymore. I'm not offended by pretentious people (I just avoid them), and you'll find more pretentiousness in other American burgs. Angry, homeless nutcases downtown? Geez, you remember lower Burnside? They've been mostly gentrified out, and are finding other places to stay. I guess it was handy when they were all there where we could easily avoid them.

Do I love, love, love Portland? Nah. But I respect it. I even admire it. Am I posting misleading information? Am I being territorial? I don't think so. Are you posting misleading information in your zeal? I could argue that you are. To each his or her own. But it could be considered therapeutic to talk about it, and I respect your sincerity. Many people here who have a zeal to hate hate hate Portland seem to love to do so. You're not coming across like that.
Great response. With everything that has been going on in Portland regarding "tolerance", I have to remind many people that Portland has a very non-tolerant past and many many many don't know or like to forget about it. So when people talk about the past....are you seeing everything or just what you want to see? I think your post here sums up every "big" city in the U.S. There was good and bad in the past and today, there is also good and bad; it's just change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: