Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 01:51 AM

4 posts, read 3,142 times

Advertisements

I mean... it spread 15 miles in one night. I could wake up tomorrow and it could be near the airport. And it is "0% contained." Don't know what that means. AND it's continuing for a whole month...? If it continues for a whole month, then it's expected to spread, right? I'm just surprised I've heard no warnings or felt any major concern from Portland residents.

My heart is breaking over this tragedy which was caused by something as stupid as some little sh-ts having their sociopathic 'fun.' My friend and his family had to evacuate Corbett and let his house be consumed in fire.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:12 AM

240 posts, read 253,919 times
It's scary, I know, but it doesn't look like the fire will spread into the urban area anytime soon, because the conditions that fueled the fire's rapid spread (a strong east wind) are changing in the short term. Here's Mark Nelsen's take on it:

https://fox12weather.wordpress.com/

Quote:
THE GOOD NEWS: The worst of this easterly wind event is done. Pressure gradients are about to go flat, which means east wind is gone at Troutdale, Corbett, and almost calm now at Vista House. By sunset wind should be calm almost everywhere in the Gorge. There won’t be any dramatic fire movement tonight fueled by wind. And there’s no reason to think fire will move into the rural/populated Corbett or Troutdale areas based on the weather. Indeed it would be wonderful if we find out there were no homes burned. As of this hour I’ve only heard a rumor that maybe one burned somewhere…but that’s not official info.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post
It's scary, I know, but it doesn't look like the fire will spread into the urban area anytime soon, because the conditions that fueled the fire's rapid spread (a strong east wind) are changing in the short term. Here's Mark Nelsen's take on it:

https://fox12weather.wordpress.com/
Thanks for sharing that. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Really wish I could be an impromptu volunteer firefighter right now.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:19 AM

60 posts, read 62,288 times
A question that should be addressed.

Why are fireworks legal in the Northwest?

They are not allowed in many States that have much less risk of fire.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:27 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Decades ago, there were far less people and I guess they were more responsible.

Vancouver has already outlawed fireworks, and I'll bet Portland will be next.

Every year they always talk a good talk and try to scare people away from using fireworks, especially illegal ones, but the truth is..........They talk the talk, but don't have the manpower to walk the walk.

Besides you are always complaining that Oregon is a liberal nanny state.
Now you are backtracking and suggestion another ban on something?

What gives?

Old 09-06-2017, 12:06 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Decades ago, there were far less people and I guess they were more responsible.

Vancouver has already outlawed fireworks, and I'll bet Portland will be next.

Every year they always talk a good talk and try to scare people away from using fireworks, especially illegal ones, but the truth is..........They talk the talk, but don't have the manpower to walk the walk.

Besides you are always complaining that Oregon is a liberal nanny state.
Now you are backtracking and suggestion another ban on something?

What gives?
Prepare for an answer peppered with truly meaningful cliches, as in the other thread.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:23 PM

60 posts, read 62,288 times
Not "backtracking" one bit.

Merely pointing out (un)common sense. Plenty of natural flammable material & fireworks doesn't make a bit of sense to anyone of intelligence.

Ironic that the Northwest burns the American Flag & yet celebrates the birth of our nation.

At least three generations of feel good, hippy, no responsibility, no accountability, non-sense, has led to the cesspool you have now.

No concept of how ones behavior is linked to Newton's Third Law.

Last edited by 6G1Z; 09-06-2017 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-06-2017, 12:52 PM

Fireworks or no fireworks... This fire needs to be put out.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:56 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,869,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6G1Z View Post
Not "backtracking" one bit.

Merely pointing out (un)common sense. Plenty of natural flammable material & fireworks doesn't make a bit of sense to anyone of intelligence.

Ironic that the Northwest burns the American Flag & yet celebrates the birth of our nation.

At least three generations of feel good, hippy, no responsibility, no accountability, non-sense, has led to the cesspool you have now.

No concept of how ones behavior is linked to Newton's Third Law.
Total nonsequitor (the kids who started the fire and drove off in a van certainly don't sound like "hippies" at any rate)

and to answer the OP,

No I do not think it will spread directly to Portland Metro (well I am over eastside), although the smoke and ash are problematic enough...

Old 09-06-2017, 01:03 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6G1Z View Post
A question that should be addressed.

Why are fireworks legal in the Northwest?

They are not allowed in many States that have much less risk of fire.
Well, we know that making them illegal would make them go away, since when one makes a law, everyone stops doing what's against the law.

Unless, of course, one person violates the law in a creatively stupid way, which is why there's fire licking at the outskirts of Corbett and stretching east to Cascade Locks. It's already against the law to start a forest fire, but that doesn't seem to have stopped some dumb kids. Nor do I foresee a future in which a new law suddenly makes all parents learn how to parent, and all kids learn not to be childish, so there's that as well.

Even supposing they're absolutely banned, one would have to contend with the reservations. When I wanted M-80s, I just went to the rez, where they would sell them to me once I convinced them I wasn't a Federal investigator. Good luck extending any such mass outlawing to the tribes, who as we know have a long history of enjoying being told what they may and may not do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland