Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 06:05 AM

749 posts, read 483,708 times

Advertisements

I have visited Portland twice now. Had never visited up until this September, and now I have visited twice. And the second time around I got to explore even more, went to the Convention Center and experienced night life in different districts on both sides of the river.

For some reason I got sort of a Berkeley vibe. I noticed lots of bike riding, some hippies on the streets, lots of parks and book stores including Powell's books. Also, Portland has some steep hills and stairways just like Berkley and certain parts of Oakland. Portland felt more like Berkley to me than San Francisco. But obviously Berkeley is just a small city, so Portland felt like Berkley but bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 06:11 AM

32,678 posts, read 48,175,275 times
There is a lot of similarity, especially the temper tantrums when the people don't get things their own way.

I think Berkeley looks more tired and run down, but Portland is getting there fast. Portland used to be a really clean city, but no more.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:42 PM

4,659 posts, read 3,028,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is a lot of similarity, especially the temper tantrums when the people don't get things their own way.

I think Berkeley looks more tired and run down, but Portland is getting there fast. Portland used to be a really clean city, but no more.
So why is there so much construction going on (in both places)?

Old 11-20-2017, 09:46 AM

810 posts, read 853,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Boy isn't that the truth. I can't really compare it to Berkeley as I have never been there only driven through Berkeley. But Portland is getting really dumpy looking no matter where you go. Probably will not improve unless we have a major earthquake and it destroys the city. But that is not likely

Old 11-20-2017, 10:56 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,875,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
So why is there so much construction going on (in both places)?
Artificial constraints on land supply. There is construction everywhere in the world but that doesn't mean the whole world is getting nicer.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:27 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,464,443 times
Portland has always been "dumpy looking".

It's covered up by leafy greenery for Spring, Summer and Fall, but in Winter, you can see it for what it really is.

I will admit that the downtown views look great when coming over the bridges, but the rest of Portland..............not so much.

Don't worry, soon there will be high rises and apartment bunkers everywhere and it will look nice and antiseptic.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:23 PM

830 posts, read 488,042 times
Yeah, I'd say they are pretty similar in certain respects. The remarks made above about tantrums in both locations were pretty accurate.

Similarities:

- Tantrums
- Sort of a college feel throughout the whole town
- Lots of foodie culture, cocktail culture, weed, microcbrews

Differences:

- Size, since Berkeley is tiny
- Weather - much less seasonal in Berkeley
- Berkeley is much more racially diverse, but probably less culturally diverse

I like them both.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:45 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,284,208 times
I always thought of it more along the lines of if San Francisco and Seattle got together and had a baby then you would get Portland.

Or if Washington and California has a baby you'd get Oregon? With it's own individual and rebellious attitude because each kid has their own personality but this can be influenced and moderated by the parents.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:24 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,464,443 times
^^^^^

The above post is interesting and very telling.

It's like you are saying that Oregon and Portland have no identity of their own, but that they are a combination of Washington and California.

That's petty much the way it feels now anyways.
Oregon is becoming a State of transplants.
Maybe that's why this town is getting so crazy, it doesn't have it's own identity.
Portland is always compared to where you came from.

I for one am honored to be one of the last remaining few that knows what it's like to identify as a born and bred Oregonian (before the population exploded and changed everything) and not an interstate mutt.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:17 PM

418 posts, read 729,258 times
I have lived in both, and they feel very different to me. Berkeley is really impacted by the university, and Portland doesn't have an equivalent. Berkeley also gives you access to SF, which is much more culturally "full" than Portland. And of course, the weather is vastly different. Much more expensive to live in Berkeley.

But I do agree that the politics are quite similar.

I like both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland