Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 10:38 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXSciFiGuy View Post
I'm okay with the idea of going without a car. However, if you do this and you like to go outdoors, then your next investment is securing some solid hiking and camping gear.

Let's say you want to take a camping or hiking trip, but you no longer have a vehicle. Okay, you can still take a bus to the general area. But when you get there, this is the time to have a first-class backpacking tent, a big pack with plenty of pockets, a small stove, a hiking stick, a good emergency radio that picks up all the bands and has charging capability and lights, and everything else needed for short-term self-sufficiency in the wild.

Unlike everyone else who can just toss their gear and food into a car or truck, it will be you, the bus, and your equipment. You have to turn yourself into a self-sustaining package that only needs an occasional stop at the nearest store. Don't forget a good lightweight sleeping bag and a wool hat. You can splurge on this stuff a bit, since you are no longer spending money for fuel, parking, maintenance, and insurance.
No, you just get a rental or carpool with friends.

You can rent a car every weekend of the year and still easily come out ahead compared to owning a car in the inner city where you need to pay for parking. I was curious and so just checked the costco rates for non-airport location rentals. You can currently rent a Hyundai Elantra from the Enterprise lot on Sandy during the weekends for $33/day including all fees and taxes. Other similar locations on the east side have similar rates. So if you were to rent every single weekend of the month you'd be paying $33 x 8 = $264/month. Compare that to the average person who's car or lease payments, insurance, parking, and maintenance are likely to be double or triple that amount or even more.

Except that if you were living car free you likely wouldn't be renting a car every weekend of the year anyway. Some weekends you'll stay home and bike around. Others you might carpool with friends or do something like take the train to Seattle. So even less money spent on cars. And these days there are a growing number of other car-share type options like zipcar and such that are quicker and easier for short-term rentals compared to going to a traditional car rental place.

Last edited by texasdiver; 05-26-2019 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 11:14 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Renting a car for a camping trip is no big deal. I wouldn't have bussed it even in my early 20s.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:03 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
I have lived in Portland and Beaverton for 2.5 weeks without a car. It is pretty stress free. I even took one of the $34 charters to Cannon Beach and back, yet still didn't miss my car. I think it is mega doable.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:13 PM

56 posts, read 63,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Renting a car for a camping trip is no big deal. I wouldn't have bussed it even in my early 20s.
Rent a car? Good idea. I had not thought of that one.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:17 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
You know, you don't have to drive a brand spanking new car with a huge monthly payment and full blown insurance.

It seems like when the "car no car" issue gets discussed, all the "no car" people give you the worst possible scenario.

My daily driver is a 2005 BMW five series that I picked up very cheap because it had some issues, I fixed them easily and just have the bare basic insurance.
I spend WAY LESS than 250 a month to drive and maintain this car.
No car payment, dirt cheap insurance and a very dependable car that gets great mileage, looks like a million bucks, and is a blast to drive.
Plus, my wife loves it!
The best part is the fact is that it is always sitting there ready to go when I need it, and I don't have to plan ahead to go shopping, or fishing, or hiking, or even camping.
That to me is worth the money I spend on it.
If it ever breaks down and the repairs are to costly, I will be able to recoup the money I spent on the initial purchase and repairs.
Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Of course, if you are pinching every penny and live in urban Portland, and are fit enough to walk and bus around and get an Uber ride now and then, go for it.
But, why restrict your life to Portland if you live in Oregon.
I am sure most people didn't move to Portland just to live in Portland, and never really leave the city limits.

My nephew lives in Estacada and works in Portland.
He drives a little Geo Metro, with 200k+ on it for a commuter car.
Great gas mileage, low insurance, and dependable with cheap repairs to boot.

It can be done, just ask StealthRabbit.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 05-27-2019 at 05:29 PM..

Old 05-27-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
You know, you don't have to drive a brand spanking new car with a huge monthly payment and full blown insurance.

It seems like when the "car no car" issue gets discussed, all the "no car" people give you the worst possible scenario.

My daily driver is a 2005 BMW five series that I picked up very cheap because it had some issues, I fixed them easily and just have the bare basic insurance.
I spend WAY LESS than 250 a month to drive and maintain this car.
No car payment, dirt cheap insurance and a very dependable car that gets great mileage, looks like a million bucks, and is a blast to drive.
Plus, my wife loves it!
The best part is the fact is that it is always sitting there ready to go when I need it, and I don't have to plan ahead to go shopping, or fishing, or hiking, or even camping.
That to me is worth the money I spend on it.
If it ever breaks down and the repairs are to costly, I will be able to recoup the money I spent on the initial purchase and repairs.
Everything else is just icing on the cake.

Of course, if you are pinching every penny and live in urban Portland, and are fit enough to walk and bus around and get an Uber ride now and then, go for it.
But, why restrict your life to Portland if you live in Oregon.
I am sure most people didn't move to Portland just to live in Portland, and never really leave the city limits.

My nephew lives in Estacada and works in Portland.
He drives a little Geo Metro, with 200k+ on it for a commuter car.
Great gas mileage, low insurance, and dependable with cheap repairs to boot.

It can be done, just ask StealthRabbit.
I agree 100%. But then like you, I'm old and handy and used to working on cars. Most young people these days simply do not have a clue about what's under their hood, and cars have gotten so computerized and complex they are pretty hard to work on anymore. No more points and timing lights and so forth.

The average 20-something doesn't know how to buy or maintain an older car. And there are so many ways to get ripped off with used cars on Craigslist. So in the end a lot of people just go buy something at a dealer. The typical small Kia or Hyundai or Toyota these days is pushing $20K. The typical 5-year car loan from a credit union is about 4%. That puts you at $370 per month for the payments. Add another $100/mo for insurance for a young single person and you are at $470. With ordinary maintenance, oil changes, tires, etc. you are well over $500/mo and that is for something cheap like a Hyundai or Kia sedan or hatchback. And that doesn't even include parking. Google tells me that monthly parking rates in the Pearl or NW Portland are about $200/month.

Yes, you don't HAVE to pay that much for a car. But a tremendous number of young professional types end up doing so simply because they want something reliable for using on the freeways and out of town trips and don't want to be broken down someplace calling roadside assistance. You could probably go to a dealer and get something economical and reliable for the neighborhood of $10K for some small Toyota or Kia or Hyundai with about 50,000 miles. That would drop the monthly costs by about $175 compared to a new car so more like $400/mo. all in because the maintanence costs, new tires, and such will be coming sooner and faster. So even a reliable used car is likely to cost more per month than just renting when you want one.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:06 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
I have lived in Portland and Beaverton for 2.5 weeks without a car. It is pretty stress free. I even took one of the $34 charters to Cannon Beach and back, yet still didn't miss my car. I think it is mega doable.
What are the $34 charters to Cannon Beach? Buses? Do you have more detail? Thanks!

Old 05-27-2019, 09:35 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,034,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
What are the $34 charters to Cannon Beach? Buses? Do you have more detail? Thanks!
The POINT bus. It is $34 round trip. It leaves out of Union Station and stops in Beaverton at Sunset TC. I believe the bus has drops at Cannon Beach, Seaside, and Astoria.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:09 PM

56 posts, read 63,849 times
Portland? Estacada? Did any of you hear about the campout I have planned for June 21-24? The rally point is in Estacada. Early morning, we wait for an hour, (5-6AM) and then we go.

Up in Washington, when I hold these 'DB Cooper Campouts' they are always a hit. This is the first and only one that will ever be held in Oregon. It's hard to explain everything in a couple of sentences. The easiest way is to show you the recent thread about it, and a WordPress article talking about one of the previous ones we did in Washington. All of the other Cooper Campouts have been in the Olympics in WA.

I was talked into the idea of hauling mass gear and giving Oregon equal time. Now I'm committed, whether anyone shows or not. (A few people are already coming, but we have room for more.) In case any of this plan sparks your curiosity, its best if you contact me before making any decisions. You could show up early Friday morning (June 21) at that Get and Go minimart in Estacada, but if you're late, you won't have our cell numbers to contact us. We give those out privately to anyone who says they are coming.

Long story. The WordPress article really breaks down what these trips are about. The one here at City Forum gives the details on THIS trip. The thread was closed, but not deleted, because announcements are allowed, but people cannot comment to them, I guess.

Last edited by XoXSciFiGuy; 05-27-2019 at 10:18 PM..

Old 05-27-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
The POINT bus. It is $34 round trip. It leaves out of Union Station and stops in Beaverton at Sunset TC. I believe the bus has drops at Cannon Beach, Seaside, and Astoria.
Here’s the web site with prices and schedules. https://oregon-point.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland