Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 12:22 PM

117 posts, read 128,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Ha ha you’re funny, I’m headed to Vegas but it’s for the sun, entertainment, and low taxes, well also politics are closer if not perfect. Nowhere is perfect.

My dad said it best with dating though - all it takes is one. You can find that one anywhere, really. I hate Portland but I met the perfect girl who also hates Portland and we can leave together, so you really can find all types even here. Sure it may be harder but not impossible. There are so many different people everywhere in any big city, it just takes time.

I’m with some of the other people mentioned, though, I always figured I’d probably enjoy the single life because I’m not a codependent type of person and unwilling to make unwanted sacrifices (including kids) for some chick. But I found a girl with similar attitudes. Otherwise I’d have rather just been single, most peoples relationships and lives seem completely miserable to me, full of responsibility but lacking any real meaning or purpose or even enjoyment. And for the most part it’s their fault.

I might do exactly what you mentioned. Even find someone to commiserate with if it comes to that, then eventually leave. I did think of that funny you say it and I'd probably target LV or Arizona. I came to Portland ultimately to better my situation but didn't come here for the same reasons this time as I would have 10 years ago which were more superficial like beer scene, music scene, super cool town, but not for the practical reasons like finding work or going somewhere because some extended family are there or whatever like this time around. I simply looked at my move to Portland in 2018, not 2008 is as an upgrade, simply an upgrade from where I was, not the be all end all extraordinary utopia that will be above and beyond better. Even if some of it is still.. I try to set my priorities regular from failing in the past by having extra high expectations. I had to hit rock bottom down Cape Cod, and simply look at Portland area as nothing more than an upgrade. This way I don't set the bar too high. or if I go to LV, it might be for more sun, even if Portland has more offerings as a city. Vegas still has more to do than some places even if its not as big as Portland is now. Oh and I'd also want to come there with a job if I ever was to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 06:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Portland is a very ez town to remain single (and happy).

Guy or gal.

If you are 'on-the-hunt', you will be frustrated and lonely (and possibly bitter)
Just have a great time and be engaging / interested in others, and IF there is someone special around ... they will latch onto you in an instant! (happy / content / interested in others... are very rare traits these days).

Fortunately... I nor my kids ever had to 'date' .

There are far more effective ways to meet and enjoy and get to know others. Portland is awesome for that (volunteer gigs + ~20+ colleges and universities within 30 miles for more venues / options + many volunteer / public service groups)

Old 01-01-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Portland is a very ez town to remain single (and happy).

Guy or gal.

If you are 'on-the-hunt', you will be frustrated and lonely (and possibly bitter)
Just have a great time and be engaging / interested in others, and IF there is someone special around ... they will latch onto you in an instant! (happy / content / interested in others... are very rare traits these days).

Fortunately... I nor my kids ever had to 'date' .

There are far more effective ways to meet and enjoy and get to know others. Portland is awesome for that (volunteer gigs + ~20+ colleges and universities within 30 miles for more venues / options + many volunteer / public service groups)

Depending on what you're into though, so far it seems easier to meet people. I am convinced I seen a worse dating scene in the NE or around Tampa or even a scene to make new friends in. Not saying its easy in Oregon but I'd say an improvement over those anyhow. Or at the very least if you're having a problem at home with immediate folks over an issue, if you mention it, someone could offer help to you on it. People seem very accessible in that way. People are into their food and beer so if you talk about that stuff, your odds may go up or the person now and then who might like to go target shooting also. Show up at a bar somewhere although not the best idea.. a park if you go regularly. I still like anything else think the best results come if you stick it out here.. at least from my findings. Some places you can live there for years and not make one new friend. Portland you'd see results for sure after the 1st or 2nd year.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNewEngland View Post
Depending on what you're into though, so far it seems easier to meet people. I am convinced I seen a worse dating scene in the NE or around Tampa or even a scene to make new friends in. Not saying its easy in Oregon but I'd say an improvement over those anyhow. Or at the very least if you're having a problem at home with immediate folks over an issue, if you mention it, someone could offer help to you on it. People seem very accessible in that way. People are into their food and beer so if you talk about that stuff, your odds may go up ... best results come if you stick it out here.. ...
yes, definitely keep it casual in Portland (for dating / friends).

Stay very engaged in volunteering and community service / ecology / helping others ...and you will find a boatload of friends.

Not everyone's idea of 'dating', but seems to work best in PNW.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:52 PM

88 posts, read 286,663 times
Those who pursued me aggressively actually told me how much they like Asian and their ex girlfriend or ex wife were all Asian. One of them turned into a stalker.

Another problem I ran into a lot is single guys without a car. They always expect me to meet them in their area or pick them up for the first meeting. I am not desperate enough to pick up someone for the first coffee meeting. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumined View Post
If you accuse everyone who pursues you of being an "Asian fetishist" then it would indeed be quite difficult find anyone. You could also try making the first move with a guy you think is attractive. This is 2018, being a pretty flower waiting around to be picked by a dashing stranger doesn't work nearly as well as it used to, at least not in the Portland area.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formosa View Post
Those who pursued me aggressively actually told me how much they like Asian and their ex girlfriend or ex wife were all Asian. One of them turned into a stalker.

Another problem I ran into a lot is single guys without a car. They always expect me to meet them in their area or pick them up for the first meeting. I am not desperate enough to pick up someone for the first coffee meeting. lol

So in essence, do you think this makes women more assertive?

Old 01-07-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
yes, definitely keep it casual in Portland (for dating / friends).

Stay very engaged in volunteering and community service / ecology / helping others ...and you will find a boatload of friends.

Not everyone's idea of 'dating', but seems to work best in PNW.

Ya I know theres avenues, some people just don't look in the right places. I could offer footrubs to most women but I know that strategy doesn't work but I consider that "helping".

If I had any advice to myself or to anyone, I'd say drive safe so you have a car to get to all these places to meet people or could get more lonely if you can't walk or bike many places. Those are the people who more than likely end up shats creek in this area and will write it off as a terrible experience.

Despite rising costs, theres still room here to make it, my goal is just to pick the right neighborhood eventually. I am in Sherwood now but that won't last forever as its my mom and stepdads rental I am living in. I'm using it as a jump to get my foot in the door in the area pretty much and then I'll pick an affordable Portland neighborhood like 82nd. I'd rather be in the city or central spot to everything.. This is too but I have a feeling I'll want to go back in Portland as driving through Beaverton to get anywhere may not be my thing. And no I don't just like asian women either incase that comes up over me wanting to go to 82nd. I just see that area as the perfect fit for someone like me as I am not yuppie, more gen x hipster stuck in the 90s I am.

So I don't have a pic here but since we're talking about dating, I literally matched the Portlandia persona before the show came out, I'm just lower income. I had the black rim glasses.. still do put away. What are MY chances in Portland now for hitting it in dating with that style ? I highly doubt that its out of style but some OR natives may see me as a living stereotype of the character Fred Armisen played. I'm like Adam Sandler meets Michael Richards meets Fred Armisen.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:00 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
I am sure you would fit right in.

Go for it! Just do it!

The best things in life are the every day unexpected encounters.

I have met many desirable women at Bi-Mart; the world is there for your taking.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:06 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post

At it's worst: People here are pretty much asexual. Most of the time, it's difficult to find a woman who seems to know what moisturizer and Hair conditioner are, much less makeup, etc. The ones that do, are taken.

Does anyone know if it was always like this in Portland.? When I visited in 1992 I saw many attractive ladies and they were wearing makeup and beauty products. Lots of polished looking women and they did not have an asexual vibe..they were oozing sexuality. Although I was mostly hanging out at nightclubs and shopping malls so maybe that explains it.

Many have mentioned how passive the men are in Portland. I think they are like this throughout the Northwest and I love it. This is exactly the way I want men to be...they are so much more easy to take than dominant alpha males like the ones I constantly saw when I lived in Las Vegas. Then again I sure don't want to date men so I guess my opinion is meaningless. My utopia is ultra sexually visible women mixed with completely sexually invisible men. That would be heaven on earth.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Does anyone know if it was always like this in Portland.? When I visited in 1992 I saw many attractive ladies and they were wearing makeup and beauty products. Lots of polished looking women and they did not have an asexual vibe..they were oozing sexuality. Although I was mostly hanging out at nightclubs and shopping malls so maybe that explains it.

Many have mentioned how passive the men are in Portland. I think they are like this throughout the Northwest and I love it. This is exactly the way I want men to be...they are so much more easy to take than dominant alpha males like the ones I constantly saw when I lived in Las Vegas. Then again I sure don't want to date men so I guess my opinion is meaningless. My utopia is ultra sexually visible women mixed with completely sexually invisible men. That would be heaven on earth.

I might not be passive enough along with the other men in this area, gotta wait and see. i Met a few type A types from Portland though believe it or not or overly masculine type guys as either roommates or political commentators.

I might often be seen as the assertive outsider with the game face on. Like a white Italian KG type. So ya I might end up in Vegas or AZ in the end. Gotta see but I like my time back in Portland so far but for the long haul, these other things may matter too. If you want to be Trans or fem crossdresser or overly masculine men, Vegas works more I"m thinking. But more of that asexual, pansexual, gender binary stuff here I'd say. At least the trans girls in Vegas, you know what they are. in Portland they could be butch lesbian types who don't wear dresses and heels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland