Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 01:00 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,575 times

Advertisements

On a trip last month.... I was driving along SE 52nd street going south as I passed SE Duke street....... I seen something that I will never forget (in a bad way)
There were HUNDREDS of 10'x12' (aprox) sheds..... My friend that was with me said they were dorms that housed to congregation
I am sorry but this was really haunting..... and although I have never "personally" see a Concentration camp.... I honestly feel I just seen on (again this is probably not the case)

Anyone know what the deal is with this place

Name: Apostolic Faith Church (headquarters)
Website: Apostolic Faith Church - World Headquarters (http://www.apostolicfaith.org/aboutus/location/portland/# - broken link)
GO TO THE WEBSITE ABOVE..... click on TOUR THE PORTLAND CAMPGROUND...... in view 1 you can move your mouse around the MAP CAMPSITE..... all those little squares are "sheds" Dorms

I went and tried to find images of the place from the road (52nd st) but could not find any
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 04:15 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
They have a yearly retreat and people from the cult, er, religion come from all over the country for this retreat and when they do they stay in the tents. They're almost identical to the kind of camping off ground facilities or yurts you see in places like Yosemite or other national parks. It kind of reminds me of Camp Curry. No one lives in them year round, it's only for like a week or something in the summer. I personally find the place disturbing too but more for the GIANT signs they have on the buildings.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 8,685 times
...Or Camp Mather , SF's recreational family camp in the Sierra's close to Yosemite and Hetch Hetchy Dam.
I had a wonderful time there when I was a kid and teenager but these...I agree...are disturbing somehow. I don't know what it is but I'm very glad I don't live close=by.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:41 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
I live two blocks away from the Apostolic Church and they have never ever been anything but good neighbors.

They never go door to door or bother anybody, and I am sure that the neighborhood would be much worse off without them here.

Another case of Portlanders preaching "tolerance and acceptance" unless you're different, huh?

You people should be ashamed of yourselves.

Why are they any different from the Buddhist Temple on Flavel or the Catholic Church in Eastmoreland?

I am sorry, but you could have asked questions about the church, their retreats, what they believe in, etc....instead of using words like "disturbing", "eery", haunting", etc.......

I would rather have Apostolic Faith people as neighbors (and probably do, but don't know it) than the posters above.

For the record, I have no connections to Apostolic Faith.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-03-2011 at 07:22 PM..

Old 10-03-2011, 07:19 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Although this is an old thread, I must have missed it the first time around.

Back in the 80's I had a friend who grew up just a couple of blocks away from the these little cabins.

Her whole family attended The Apostolic Faith Church. They were nice people and not at all "cultish" or anything like that. The little cabins are like a campground for bible school and retreats my friend attended when she was a teenager as did her sister and brother. I am a little surprised that someone finds them resembling a concentration camp. Nothing of the sort. Obviously the OP never went to overnight camp or retreat.

These people did not try to convert anyone or go around proselytizing. I mean being Jewish, I have had more than my share of those evangelicals trying to convert me. My friend never tried to do this and to my knowledge that was not something the church was into.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:00 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,004 times
I agree with Mike. We live down the street, and have no issue with it. While a little odd, it is nowhere near the strangest thing I have seen in Portland.

I agree there is a lot of "live and let live, unless it's conservatism or Christianity" in Portland.

It is just a church campground, only instead of being out in the country like most churches, it's in the middle of SE.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:29 PM

865 posts, read 2,501,949 times
I agree with pdx and dave. I lived off Linnwood in Milwaukie for several years and used to drive by on 52nd on my way into Portland. I figured it was housing for what would be akin to a fundamentalist "tent revival". I imagined that I personally would probably get into a theological argument with followers of that particular denomination if we had opportunity to discuss our views, but that doesn't mean they don't have their right to be there.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:37 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Don't look any more then Boy Scout camps I endured after spending 9 months "fund raising." Or the shack I spent a summer living in while working on the ranch.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:09 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
That facility was once in the country side, the suburbs grew up around it.

Get a life!!

Old 10-09-2011, 09:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
That facility was once in the country side, the suburbs grew up around it.

Get a life!!
Nell, I thought that was a Portland neighborhood. My friend and her family lived on Cooper Street if I recall. There were and probably still are no sidewalks on some of the streets and the houses are small and older
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: