Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2020, 02:03 PM

26 posts, read 27,792 times

Advertisements

I’ve lived in several cities and problems with bugs tends to go with the prevailing climate. I have never lived in an area with a moderate climate like Portland. For example, I lived in Houston for a year and the standard joke was... there are two types of people who live in Houston, people with roaches in their houses and liars. Actually there was a third category, people who spray their homes monthly with toxic chemicals. Are there any issues in Portland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 03:16 PM

129 posts, read 160,854 times
We used to live in western Pennsylvania, where the cold winter naturally killed the bugs.
Took us some time getting used to the fact that it's not the same here in Portland area.
We use the third option you described earlier, and I'm curious to see how others cope w/ it here.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:28 PM

333 posts, read 328,780 times
There are just far less bugs here in general than area's east of the Mississippi. Nighttime is virtually silent here, even during the summer. Aside from easily controlled little ants, I have never had any issues with insects inside my house.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:42 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
About 100x less insects and flying pests here than we experienced in Texas.

We leave our upstairs patio door wide open for the cats much of the summer (they like to go out and lay on the deck) and rarely ever get a fly or mosquito entering. We get a few Daddy Longlegs spiders around our front entrance. And occasionally yellow jackets around in summer. Sometimes those tiny sugar ants in the kitchen if we don't keep the counters clean. But that's about it.

I've never seen a roach or silverfish here. No scorpions or giant centipedes like in TX. No fire ants. Even termites are less of a problem, although we can still get termites here if you aren't careful.

I think it is partly due to the reverse rainfall patterns compared to the eastern US. In the east and the south, most of the rainfall and humidity happens in the summer and warmer months when insects are more active. So the conditions for insect breeding are better due to the higher humidity and more frequent rains. In the Northwest the winter is the rainy season (when insects are mostly dormant) and the summers are quite dry. So the summers are less conducive to big insect population explosions.

At least that's my theory.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:00 AM

54 posts, read 58,111 times
Far fewer bugs here then Northern California. The ants here are not only smaller but less aggressive too.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:38 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,611 times
I see a decent number of Cellar Spiders and small little black spiders, but they go away in November.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:06 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Stink bugs

Old 01-22-2020, 02:06 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
What we get a LOT more here than in other parts of the country is slugs. Especially after mild winters such as this one, that aren't cold enough to kill off the dormant egg clusters. Unless we get some severe freezes in the next month or so we are likely to be overrun by slugs this spring.

But at least they stay outdoors and don't invade the house.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Stink bugs
and Boxelder bugs
'non-biting / poisonous'

There are a few Spiders in some warm attic spaces in PNW and very few Black Widows.
https://nobuggy.com/top-3-venomous-spiders-in-oregon/

Wasps... Yellow Jackets have their BAD years.
https://www.oregonlive.com/news/erry...iders-tha.html

Mosquitoes may be bad next yr (no deep freezes yet in 2019 / 20 winter)

and... slugs, pretty big and squishy, but they usually don't get in your house or on your sofa.
The largest slugs I have seen are in Redwoods in NoCA, but there are some mammoth ones on the coast... ~6"+. Portland area is ~3" is a big slug.

Texas... ugh. Chiggers, Scorpions, fire ants, and bunches of other 'troublesome, friendly (no place is off limits to find them), and numerous other creatures. Shake out your shoes !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland