Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 05:24 PM

206 posts, read 187,242 times

Advertisements

We've seen the stories all over the news that makes it seem as if Portland is being taken over by rioting mobs. For those of you in the area, is it really as bad as they show? Or is this propaganda to push a political agenda?

Have the rioters taken over the Portland Japanese Garden? Have they burned all of Powell's Books? Are they barricading I-5? Is the Pearl a burning mass of rubble and fire?

Just curious.

Old 07-20-2020, 05:55 PM

5,483 posts, read 7,774,248 times
It's just one or two blocks around the Federal building at night. Which is an area where there aren't many shops or restaurants anyway. The rest of the city is just normal.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:47 PM

7,165 posts, read 4,758,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
It's just one or two blocks around the Federal building at night. Which is an area where there aren't many shops or restaurants anyway. The rest of the city is just normal.
Then why are Portland business owners begging the mayor to do something so that people will return to downtown. It’s not just isolated to a couple of blocks.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:42 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,905,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blau808 View Post
Are they barricading I-5?

Actually, yes. BLM protesters were blocking the I-5 (with city approval -- true, it was Seattle), resulting in an accident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wcffsQdrwg

That news report chose not to show the accident itself, but you can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jtXAP06qzA

Ironically, the driver was black: https://scallywagandvagabond.com/202...ester-injured/

Old 07-20-2020, 10:25 PM

5,483 posts, read 7,774,248 times
And a 3-week old video from Seattle has what relevance to Portland?

I passed through downtown yesterday with my daughter to visit a camera store. Everything looked quite ordinary.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:10 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,066,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post

it is not ironic that the motorist is black. he's a human being, and expected to react as any might, either passively or aggressively.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:56 AM

872 posts, read 1,001,618 times
I wondered this too. Seeing cities on TV that I have never been to makes me wonder the area these events are happening at. I know it's not everywhere as a city is a a very big area filled with more than just big buildings, gov buildings and business. Wonder if they will ever take thing to the suburbs and residential areas in Portland? It also makes you wonder what the rest of the city thinks as they do show some people but it doesn't give us a big picture. So we have the view of the city shaped in our minds as a crazy communist loving anarchy mess LOL

I think any city is mostly filled with people who just want to live in peace and go to work and provide for their families and don't even want to get involved in these types of things. People who can stand and support or say they disavow but never cause issues.

Old 07-21-2020, 09:56 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,687,962 times
Went to Portland yesterday, looked like an average day in the city, looked at some guitars and walked along the waterfront, got a bite to eat and drove home. Media isn't interested in anything that isn't in the real of sensationalism..

Old 07-21-2020, 10:36 AM

7,165 posts, read 4,758,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Went to Portland yesterday, looked like an average day in the city, looked at some guitars and walked along the waterfront, got a bite to eat and drove home. Media isn't interested in anything that isn't in the real of sensationalism..

Take a look at your city at night when it's dark outside. That's when the idiots start.

Old 07-21-2020, 11:06 AM

7 posts, read 7,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
It's not just normal. The rest of the downtown is not physically damaged to the extent that the riot zone is every night, but store windows are covered with plywood throughout downtown specifically due to the riots, and many people are afraid to come downtown. I own a business a block from the riot zone - our employees are working from home as much for the riots as for COVID. The poor local franchise owner of Jimmy John's near my office has windows broken almost every day. Paint was splashed all over the store yesterday. It's pathetic. I watch the protests at night when i work late (my parking garage is almost at ground zero). Some people are peaceful, but others provoke the police to try to capture things on video that they can then post.

Our politicians are weak and pathetic. None of them seem to care in the least about having a healthy and safe downtown for business, shopping and entertainment. Rioters and homeless campers are the more important citizens apparently. And i'm ashamed to say that i voted for Wheeler.

Last edited by mmh1030; 07-21-2020 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland