Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 06:46 PM

846 posts, read 610,283 times

Advertisements

Recent political events where rioters and anarchists are allowed to illegally take over sections of downtown and damage property is definitely not what you call a business friendly environment. I cannot fathom any business willing to relocate to Multnomah county from out of state. In fact, you may see a migration of existing companies Away from the area.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:06 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,092,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
Recent political events where rioters and anarchists are allowed to illegally take over sections of downtown and damage property is definitely not what you call a business friendly environment. I cannot fathom any business willing to relocate to Multnomah county from out of state. In fact, you may see a migration of existing companies Away from the area.
Let me guess. After more then seven years of posting this same FUD in this forum, you still don't want to leave Portland, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6cj8DllIU

Old 07-19-2020, 09:09 PM

680 posts, read 535,748 times
These cities like NYC, Chicago, Seattle, Portland elect leaders that passively side with criminals. It enables and emboldens violent criminals. It’s getting worse. Mayors need to understand these rioters want total destruction. They can be tough on them or not. So far they’ve taken the rioters, anarchists, looters, arsonists side. Citizens need to demand better, otherwise expect the unrest.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:26 PM

5,452 posts, read 7,749,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
That'll be a relief! It's getting too crowded here. Maybe the housing prices will come down a bit too!

Old 07-21-2020, 10:01 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,679,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
These cities like NYC, Chicago, Seattle, Portland elect leaders that passively side with criminals. It enables and emboldens violent criminals. It’s getting worse. Mayors need to understand these rioters want total destruction. They can be tough on them or not. So far they’ve taken the rioters, anarchists, looters, arsonists side. Citizens need to demand better, otherwise expect the unrest.
Yes, yes, the bulldozers are now plowing Portland under, LOL, I wish more people would get off their couches and actually LOOK at things in the real world. Was there in Portland yesterday, no big deal. Most people were simply working, lounging in the parks, and the food trucks were getting overwhelmed with city dwellers escaping the heat. Your politics are blinding you..

Old 07-21-2020, 03:11 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,883,450 times
In grammar school and the rest of his time in public school your Mayor used to give up his lunch money to the bully, ,Now he gives up Portland to the crazies.......But I like following the slow train wreck called Portland

Old 07-21-2020, 03:58 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,861,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Yes, yes, the bulldozers are now plowing Portland under, LOL, I wish more people would get off their couches and actually LOOK at things in the real world. Was there in Portland yesterday, no big deal. Most people were simply working, lounging in the parks, and the food trucks were getting overwhelmed with city dwellers escaping the heat. Your politics are blinding you..
Good gawd- Sure, you can find that. You also see exorbitant amount of graffiti, boarded up windows, Lease signs, garbage and a totally dysfunctional city. Millions of tax dollars are lost (likely for years).

Sure Portland will always be populated by the lazy, social deviates, drop outs, hobos, weirdos and hangers-on but productive people are and will be leaving. Why would they stay??

I am sure even in Mogadishu Somalia you can find kids playing in a park, eating food or sweeping a doorway. Does that make that a nice place too?

Open your eyes.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:01 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,679,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Good gawd- Sure, you can find that. You also see exorbitant amount of graffiti, boarded up windows, Lease signs, garbage and a totally dysfunctional city. Millions of tax dollars are lost (likely for years).

Sure Portland will always be populated by the lazy, social deviates, drop outs, hobos, weirdos and hangers-on but productive people are and will be leaving. Why would they stay??

I am sure even in Mogadishu Somalia you can find kids playing in a park, eating food or sweeping a doorway. Does that make that a nice place too?

Open your eyes.
Your dramatic response only underscores your obvious bias, another political post. For those who are really interested a possible move to Portland I've included a fair and balanced view from another Portland citizen who actually speaks without the flying spittle and over the top political leanings. Homelessness IS a big problem for---Most cities where it exists, including Portland, but the divisive politics continues to evade any real valid solution, beyond the far right notion of "lock em up."

https://embracesomeplace.com/pros-cons-portland-oregon/

Old 07-21-2020, 07:35 PM

482 posts, read 420,098 times
Quote:
Your dramatic response only underscores your obvious bias, another political post. For those who are really interested a possible move to Portland I've included a fair and balanced view from another Portland citizen who actually speaks without the flying spittle and over the top political leanings. Homelessness IS a big problem for---Most cities where it exists, including Portland, but the divisive politics continues to evade any real valid solution, beyond the far right notion of "lock em up."

<<I've included a fair and balanced view from another Portland citizen who actually speaks without the flying spittle and over the top political leanings.

<< beyond the far right notion of "lock em up."

See what you did there?

Old 07-21-2020, 07:42 PM

7 posts, read 7,593 times
Quote:

The perspective on the linked pro/con webpage is very much from the employee side. The original post refers to the effect of the current chaos on businesses moving here to create the job opportunities referred to in the linked website.

I own a business in downtown, right by the riot location. I regret the amount of term remaining on our lease.

The city, at this time, is apparently unwilling to provide security for businesses downtown. We invested a good deal of money in improving our workplace when we originally signed our lease. If i were faced with the decision to do so at this time, i would decline. Many of our employees are afraid to come downtown. Whether their fear is justified is immaterial, as their minds are made up.

The parks/fountains/squares that make downtown so nice during normal times are financed at least in part by business taxes, which are substantial in Multnomah county. It is wholly unattractive to launch or locate a business here now, and this reputation will not clear up quickly. This really could impact business tax collection in the future, which will have a material impact on what the city government can do to maintain and secure the city going forward. I hope this does not happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: