Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 07:57 PM

315 posts, read 116,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Yes, yes, the bulldozers are now plowing Portland under, LOL, I wish more people would get off their couches and actually LOOK at things in the real world. Was there in Portland yesterday, no big deal. Most people were simply working, lounging in the parks, and the food trucks were getting overwhelmed with city dwellers escaping the heat. Your politics are blinding you..

Speaking of blinders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOCUD6dPIU0

This unrest is going to only serve to exacerbate the ongoing COVID/economic problems. Such a double whammy is literally going to set the city back many years, and that's generously operating under a scenario that assumes that responsible leadership one day returns to the local government. I fear the damage has already been done, but in the coming months we will start to see the toll with how many businesses relocate or close altogether.

Old 07-22-2020, 06:06 AM

11,857 posts, read 5,835,602 times
How freaking sad - the problem is these young kids don't watch the news - they have no clue how this is affecting their city and the businesses.

What I hate is these young - uns continue to blame the boomers for all their problems. Have they stepped back to see that their actions have put this country trillions more in the hole and that they'll be responsible for it - not the boomers?

Old 07-22-2020, 06:20 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,086,349 times
After my first visit to Portland 10 years ago, wanted to move there so badly. Seven years ago, it was clear that things were heading in the wrong direction. So many young people hanging around, doing nothing. Rude cyclists became the order of the day. Last year, the homelessness and people living their lives on the streets really was the final indicator that destruction was complete! So sad as it is/was a lovely city!

Old 07-22-2020, 08:28 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,256,324 times
If commerce is leaving the city, it will reflect in property values. Last I checked property in Portland was still very expensive. Housing has only gotten more expensive since covid.

Get back to me when PDX real estate values have collapsed.

You want to see a city where half the business has left and the valuations reflect it? Go to Youngstown, OH.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
I guess we could ask each poster here if they actually own a business and hire employees and meet payroll and pay rent

I have several business owner friends who have had to leave their Portland business operations. Became too burdensome to keep the doors open. The latest friend to leave was Pearl Bakery., but many, many have had to make that tough decision (before and after).
https://www.oregonlive.com/dining/20...nd%20Instagram.

https://www.wweek.com/restaurants/20...s-of-business/

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/loc...2-bd782540321a

Running a business is not trivial (as is being an employee).

Hosing the sidewalks off every morning at 4:30 AM to open the door really got to a stockbroker friend who had a business quite near Powells.

High valuations chased out plenty of 'old school' Portland businesses.
Can't cover 'loft-y' rents selling hardware. (Winks had to relocate to the east side in ~ 1/2 the space and available merchandise)

Daisy Kingdom... so sad to lose them! and the innovation they brought to PNW.

Cycle of USA (business) life (especially in Multnomah County)... struggle, struggle, eek out, succeed, competition / changing society / interests / access to goods, / increased costs / regulations / employees / destruction / insurance...chapter 11...

Old 07-22-2020, 10:00 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,685,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruityfred11 View Post
Speaking of blinders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOCUD6dPIU0

This unrest is going to only serve to exacerbate the ongoing COVID/economic problems. Such a double whammy is literally going to set the city back many years, and that's generously operating under a scenario that assumes that responsible leadership one day returns to the local government. I fear the damage has already been done, but in the coming months we will start to see the toll with how many businesses relocate or close altogether.
You, like so many others will be waiting for the big crash you are so hoping for, it'll be a long wait I'm happy to say. At my age I know that the US is a very resilient nation, we've been through some terrible stuff, and today's protests are not the worst we've ever seen, so relax and enjoy the life you have. Doom and gloom seem to fill the plates of the mindless, their dire predictions of chaos and mayhem always at the ready, sorry, but the real news is that we are pretty darn strong, and regardless of your negative views, Portland will be just fine.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:46 AM

17,825 posts, read 13,738,015 times
Quote:
You, like so many others will be waiting for the big crash you are so hoping for, it'll be a long wait I'm happy to say. At my age I know that the US is a very resilient nation, we've been through some terrible stuff, and today's protests are not the worst we've ever seen, so relax and enjoy the life you have. Doom and gloom seem to fill the plates of the mindless, their dire predictions of chaos and mayhem always at the ready, sorry, but the real news is that we are pretty darn strong, and regardless of your negative views, Portland will be just fine.
Weird how these things tend to run their course and everything ends up getting back to normal after a while.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:30 PM

315 posts, read 116,599 times
Quote:

Your head is fully in the sand and you sadly seem to be in support of the rioting as many others are in this city.

Can you bring yourself, maybe just once, to actually say "this anarchy is bad and is hurting the city". Go ahead, I dare you!

Old 07-22-2020, 01:42 PM

2,666 posts, read 3,865,983 times
Quote:
Your dramatic response only underscores your obvious bias, another political post. For those who are really interested a possible move to Portland I've included a fair and balanced view from another Portland citizen who actually speaks without the flying spittle and over the top political leanings. Homelessness IS a big problem for---Most cities where it exists, including Portland, but the divisive politics continues to evade any real valid solution, beyond the far right notion of "lock em up."

https://embracesomeplace.com/pros-cons-portland-oregon/
I don't believe the response was that dramatic. It was kind of realistic from a financial perspective but of course you can believe what you want: i.e - "Yea Portland!! Great place!"

I suspect time will eventually show more than a few tax paying, productive types disagree with you and vote with their feet.

Anarchy combined with excessive taxation for which their is little return will have it's effect.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:45 PM

1,066 posts, read 894,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
I don't believe the response was that dramatic. It was kind of realistic from a financial perspective but of course you can believe what you want: i.e - "Yea Portland!! Great place!"

I suspect time will eventually show more than a few tax paying, productive types disagree with you and vote with their feet.

Anarchy combined with excessive taxation for which their is little return will have it's effect.
Portland was called little Beirut by Bush, not sure what you think is different now versus the last 30-40 years of growth regarding people fleeing with their feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: