Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2020, 07:23 PM

37 posts, read 23,485 times

Advertisements

I didn't know about this red house situation until recently. The local antifa folks got involved because they thought it was predatory lending pushing black people out.

As best as I can tell....
Son murders some poor elderly person via bad driving
They took 100k out of their home using 25k to pay son's legal bills
Mortgage was 1.5% over prime. Higher than normal but not unusual for someone with bad credit and not predatory
They stopped paying entirely because they're crazy
Bank force-closed because they lent money and someone isn't paying
Home sold

Now protests happen because????

The family has another house entirely. They're also going to get $250k from a gofundme fundraiser because?

It almost seems criminal what they're doing. Are the people supporting them just stupid? Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 09:10 PM

2,666 posts, read 3,865,112 times
No. No your not.
Pretty accurate assessment.

This is natural progression of human activity when children are allowed to behave badly without repercussion. Until Portland gets some mature leadership, expect more of same.

After all, someone somewhere is being oppressed right??

Old 12-14-2020, 05:32 PM

2,264 posts, read 974,489 times
Quote:
Mayor Ted Wheeler conceded Monday that protesters’ aura of success could lead to similar occupations over other home foreclosures — but said he hopes it doesn’t.

He was unable to offer assurances that his administration could prevent another such standoff, which gripped the city for days as Wheeler considered sending in police to break the blockade.

“I hope it is not an ongoing phenomenon,” Wheeler said. “Our objective is to protect lives and end the occupation. And nobody should take this as an invitation to do it anywhere else. The end result could turn out very differently.”

Self-styled guards armed with paintball guns continued to block streets near the Humboldt neighborhood home Monday morning. The sentries indicated they would allow vehicle travel on North Mississippi Avenue to reopen by 6 p.m.
Mayor Ted: 0
Inmates: 1

Old 12-14-2020, 06:23 PM

5,467 posts, read 8,196,025 times
Rule of Law: 0

Rule of armed mob: 1

Game over, the home team won.

Old 12-14-2020, 11:53 PM

354 posts, read 438,495 times
I heard a term today ....."performative outrage" and it reminded me of this situation.

Old 12-15-2020, 04:37 PM

5,467 posts, read 8,196,025 times
It's game over, but many neighbors are unhappy with the officiating: https://www.koin.com/news/protests/v...ng-disconnect/

Old 12-23-2020, 03:48 PM

89 posts, read 59,884 times
It's just another kneejerk outrage, par for the course this year. People vilify the rich for getting richer, but then all willingly give their money to people who don't need it.

2020 has made me very cognizant of how much I'm paying in housing and taxes to live near a city that I've quickly lost much desire to go to (I moved from the city to the burbs this year). I love Oregon and the landscapes are beautiful, but that only goes so far, especially when it's on fire every other year. Where I live it's quieter and removed from protests, but it's still tiring to hear the negative news day after day. I'm okay with paying taxes if we're seeing a discernible benefit from it, but this has been like the exact opposite.

I don't mind people wanting to take action about something, but take a minute and learn the facts first.

Old 12-24-2020, 05:58 PM

2,264 posts, read 974,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantstofry View Post
. . . I don't mind people wanting to take action about something, but take a minute and learn the facts first.
That’s not how things work in Wonderland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: