Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 10:30 AM

5,457 posts, read 8,173,150 times

Advertisements

“The whole 82nd area has changed in the last 20 years, especially in the last 10 years,” Hanson said. “Each year it keeps going down and down and down. More crime, garbage, homeless people, drugs and nobody wants to help.”....When he heard Walmart pulling out of his neighborhood a few blocks away, he wasn’t shocked. ....
“It hurts this community when they leave,” Hanson said. “A lot of people depend on that store.”

The whole story: https://www.kptv.com/2023/03/07/walm...roperty-crime/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 07:38 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
It wasn’t very pretty in the 80’s either. This is nothing new.

Old 03-07-2023, 08:25 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
It wasn’t very pretty in the 80’s either. This is nothing new.
In the 80s it was strip clubs and biker bars.

Now it's Asian groceries, Asian restaurants, Mexican restaurants and Hispanic auto shops. Which is a big improvement frankly. I remember in college in the early 1980s that 82 Ave (and Burnside) was where you found the hookers and heroin dealers. And the crime rate was far higher than today.

There was never a time in my memory going back to the early 1980s that 82nd wasn't seedy in some way.

Old 03-08-2023, 07:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
In the 80s it was strip clubs and biker bars.

Now it's Asian groceries, Asian restaurants, Mexican restaurants and Hispanic auto shops. Which is a big improvement frankly. I remember in college in the early 1980s that 82 Ave (and Burnside) was where you found the hookers and heroin dealers. And the crime rate was far higher than today.

There was never a time in my memory going back to the early 1980s that 82nd wasn't seedy in some way.
Yep I remember walking into what looked like a bar in the 80's because I just wanted a beer. Was immediately hit on by the hookers. No thank you! I thought this was cleaned up but not so sure today.

Old 03-09-2023, 11:20 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yep I remember walking into what looked like a bar in the 80's because I just wanted a beer. Was immediately hit on by the hookers. No thank you! I thought this was cleaned up but not so sure today.
Back then you didn't have to get out of your car. Just drive slowly down 82 and you would see them and only need to pull over to the side of the road and they'd come up.

It was like that on lower Burnside too. Like SE 6th and Burnside up to where Sandy crosses. They were out on the street just looking to hook up.

At least those days are gone as far as I know.

The only good thing about 82 Ave back then was the Organ Grinder Pizza which was cool. Or at least seemed cool to me when I was a kid.

Old 10-05-2023, 01:53 AM

4 posts, read 2,258 times
Walmart's closing, Target's closing, Cracker Barrel basically said FU and your progressive voters and left. Portland doesn't deserve the things that normal towns and cities enjoy. The city and county leadership is incompetent, but that seems to be what the voters want. So I hope you all enjoy. Also, stop blaming the cops for all of your woes. If you had any sense of personal accountability..... Oh wait, never mind. Look who I'm speaking to.

Old 10-05-2023, 11:52 AM

333 posts, read 328,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis085 View Post
Walmart's closing, Target's closing, Cracker Barrel basically said FU and your progressive voters and left. Portland doesn't deserve the things that normal towns and cities enjoy. The city and county leadership is incompetent, but that seems to be what the voters want. So I hope you all enjoy. Also, stop blaming the cops for all of your woes. If you had any sense of personal accountability..... Oh wait, never mind. Look who I'm speaking to.
Yet another person probably hundreds, if not thousands, of miles away, passing judgment on a city that they have no hope of understanding.

My favorite is out of town Fox News junkies saying that Cracker Barrel restaurants in Tualatin and Beaverton closed because of "progressive voters" and crime. I suppose when a narrative is being sold, the truth and reality is secondary to to the mission.

Old 10-06-2023, 01:21 AM

4 posts, read 2,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
Yet another person probably hundreds, if not thousands, of miles away, passing judgment on a city that they have no hope of understanding.

My favorite is out of town Fox News junkies saying that Cracker Barrel restaurants in Tualatin and Beaverton closed because of "progressive voters" and crime. I suppose when a narrative is being sold, the truth and reality is secondary to to the mission.
Nope. I've lived here for close to 25 years. Let me guess, you drive a Subaru with an Obama and coexist sticker on the back hatch..... Not sure what to say about Fox News, not really a fan these days. All of the news sources out there really kind of suck though. Well, you obviously voted for what led to the current state of affairs here so enjoy. You deserve it all. What narrative is being sold? I drive through Portlandia every day. The only narrative I see is coddling criminals and a huge homeless industrial complex. Or maybe you think the graffiti everywhere is a neigh or hood bonus?

Old 10-07-2023, 10:45 AM

333 posts, read 328,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis085 View Post
I drive through Portlandia every day.
Oh, I believe you now. Everyone here refers to the city as Portlandia. Definitely a local.

Old 10-15-2023, 10:29 AM

6 posts, read 5,499 times
Default Hiring/Staffing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
I personally know they have had a hard time hiring employees that qualify to work for their company. Big shortages in management and supervisors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland