Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:35 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
They were the first thing I noticed when I got off the train at Hatfield Govt. Center. I think there are four trees in a tight cluster at the courthouse and there are a few more a couple of blocks away at Bagley park (2nd & Jackson). I wondered what kind of trees they were for weeks but was afraid to ask in case no one knew or was surprised that I didn't know. Then I read that they were "Sequoia Tree's". That made it a little clearer but Giant Sequoia, Coast Redwood, Dawn Redwood? Anyway, they are Redwood trees and they are big, very big. Back in the 70's I had a Time-Life book on Redwood's and more recently I read a book by Douglas Prestons (younger?) brother called "Wild Tree's" a very good read, many of the trees mentioned in the earlier post are cited there. My interest in these tree's goes back a long way as you can see but I have yet to actually see them in situ. This may be the year!

H

If it's the group of trees near the courthouse in Hillsboro - then giant sequoia.

Their spire resembling tops can be seen from miles away. Actually, even the tops of 50 foot tall ones can be ID'd from a couple of miles.

Coast redwood has needles for lower foliage, and the sequoia has scale-like foliage.

Turns out I'll be in the north CA redwoods Aug. 11 to 14.

One night at the Curly redwood lodge, and 2 to 3 nights at Harris Beach State Park by Brookings Oregon.

Plan to get some video of Atlas Grove this time too.

Here is the base of Iluvatar - 2nd largest coast redwood, as of today.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 08:02 PM

82 posts, read 329,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post

Here is the base of Iluvatar - 2nd largest coast redwood, as of today.
Obviously you are not going to share where this grove, or Hyperion are located.

But would it be safe to elaborate on page from a site you linked to? Taylor's that is. On his tallest redwoods page, Helios and Icarus are shown to be at a Redwood Creek tributary. But next to Hyperion is listed a tributary of Redwood National Park. Never noticed that before. Always thought from Preston's book or something else I read that it was up some hill from a Redwood Creek Tributary. Now I'm curious.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi_Wan_Kenobi View Post
But would it be safe to elaborate on page from a site you linked to? ... Now I'm curious.
Hmmm ... old thread revival ...

Probably can't offer much clarification. Nothing that will add more information than what you already know. He means that the 2nd and 3rd tallest are somewhere upstream along a Redwood Creek tributary area or its hills. Hyperion is associated with a tributary region of either Redwood Creek, Lost Man Creek, or south end Prairie Creek. Some things you read may be different from what really is. I'd imagine you already know that much. Since there are folks out there with loose lips lately who don't care about the conservation of these types of trees, not much has been written.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:43 PM

82 posts, read 329,778 times
Just found this old thread and it seemed like a good vessel for a question.

Anyone know if the Oregon redwood parks still have trails open? Anyone reading this live close to there? How about dogs? I read that California parks don't allow dogs. Maybe Oregon is different.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:40 PM

129 posts, read 583,643 times
I think you are in the wrong state my friend.. California is where you want to be.

But, if you want to see some amazing trees in Oregon, which I think are more beautiful, yet not as massive, as the redwoods, then I advise you to take a trip to the central and northern Oregon coast and check out the many beautiful Sitka Spruce forests. There are many beautiful old growth forests with Sitka Spruce trees that are as wide as 10ft and grow as tall as 200ft. When I lived in Cape Perpetua I would take almost weekly trips to visit this one giant Sitka Spruce past the campground at the Cape Perpetua Visitor Center. The tree I believe has a circumference of 40ft.

Here is a pic of it:
Siuslaw National Forest - Cape Perpetua Scenic Area

Sometimes the trail closes due to winter storms, so check if it is open... There is an even larger Sitka Spruce somewhere around the Tillamook area that is really impressive.

IMO .. The Sitka Spruce trees, although not as giant as Redwoods, are by far more beautiful. The one giant Sitka Spruce I mention is covered with moss and has ferns growing out of it and has very beautiful bark structure. Redwoods are beautiful but not as extravagant looking as the Sitka Spruces. Try walking through the many Sitka Spruce forests around here, if you haven't already.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:31 PM

254 posts, read 653,206 times
Yeah Sitka Spruce are great. I love how they look from a distance too, almost jungle like. Old Douglas firs are also pretty. Don't forget to look for this place up in the Goat Marsh area. These Noble Fir forests have the second highest bio-mass per acre of any place in the world.
Attached Thumbnails
Redwoods in Oregon?-file.jpg  

Old 01-20-2011, 05:36 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Aren't there redwoods in Southern Oregon?

Redwood National Park Information Page

Old 01-20-2011, 05:38 PM

254 posts, read 653,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Aren't there redwoods in Southern Oregon?

Redwood National Park Information Page
Yeah, there are some in Oregon. The best ones are just south of the boarder along the coast.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi_Wan_Kenobi View Post
Just found this old thread and it seemed like a good vessel for a question.

Anyone know if the Oregon redwood parks still have trails open? Anyone reading this live close to there? How about dogs? I read that California parks don't allow dogs. Maybe Oregon is different.
Sometimes the most important part is whether the roads are open. Occasionally, park trails are closed when something as small as a little footbridge is out of commission. Like where it crosses 4 inch deep water: closed for safety, even though the trail is still very safe.

Last I heard, the Oregon park near Brookings was still accessible for hiking. But if you are going that far (if it is far for you) you may as well go to Jedediah Smith redwood near Hiouchi, CA, too. Check them both out and compare.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 14,286 times
People in Portland, Hillsboro, Forrest Grove and other towns around western Oregon have planted and are growing both Northern Redwoods and Giant Seqouia trees all over the place! They are in front yards, golf courses, parks, sides of the road and randomly on people's property. Some have planted them as small groves and others just for decorative purposes. But they are all over...especially around Portland. All you have to do is drive around and look for the tallest trees. Many are quite small yet as they are no older than the houses or property they were planted on. But they are there nonetheless. A good place to go look is the Portland Rhododendron Gardens or Eastmoreland Golf Course. But again they are all over in people's front yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland