Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 08:01 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,617,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy Rock View Post
Just reading all the comments on nw rain and wishing my only complaint was rain. Living in milwaukee wi and just experienced the worst winter in my lifetime 90 plus inches of snow it was a white hell!!!!!!! My ultimate goal is to move to portland, asheville or mabye az. Portland is at the top of my list. After living 30 years in the midwest with brutal snot freezing temps, a little or alot of rain will be a relief compared to this winter crap we midwesterners endure every year.'
all of you...consider yourself lucky.
No place is perfect. The amount of snow was an unusual occurence this year. The midwest has 4 distinct seasons. One being winter. Its cold for a period, not continuelly "snot freezing'' for great lengths of time. I happen to like the snow, and dont mind the cold. I also didnt mind the rain, just the length of rainy season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 11:43 AM

865 posts, read 2,502,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
No place is perfect. The amount of snow was an unusual occurence this year. The midwest has 4 distinct seasons. One being winter. Its cold for a period, not continuelly "snot freezing'' for great lengths of time. I happen to like the snow, and dont mind the cold. I also didnt mind the rain, just the length of rainy season.
Thank you for the common sense! Again I have to ask the rest of you, what's wrong with snow? Winter is a fantastic, beautiful season. Get out and enjoy it! I truly wish Portland had a real winter instead of the drab gray wetness for months. Yes there are sun breaks, but they are far too infrequent!

Old 06-21-2008, 12:01 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
my mom just moved from Portland to Bend, and she claims winters in Bend have more snow, but feel warmer because its a "dry cold" Eh??? I asked her how water frozen into snow/ice can be dry, and she says "Portland is more soggy wet that seeps into my bones, and Bend is more snow, than clear skies" humm...im not sure, but i guess if it makes sense to her and shes happier there, thats what it comes down to.
Tiff
It's definitely drier on this side of the Cascades, and with the dryness the cold doesn't seem so intense. There is a limit to this, of course, but 20 degrees and snowing here feels warmer to me than 35 degrees, raining and with a sharp Gorge wind. Also, the cloud cover on this side isn't usually down at the ground level - there is air and sky between you and the clouds, which makes it feel less... oppressive, I guess. Obviously, I have SAD issues and the move was right for me. But I do miss Portland's much longer growing season, better grocery stores, fun downtown and widespread green. Not enough to move back, but enough to visit occasionally.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:46 PM

865 posts, read 2,502,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
It's definitely drier on this side of the Cascades, and with the dryness the cold doesn't seem so intense. There is a limit to this, of course, but 20 degrees and snowing here feels warmer to me than 35 degrees, raining and with a sharp Gorge wind. Also, the cloud cover on this side isn't usually down at the ground level - there is air and sky between you and the clouds, which makes it feel less... oppressive, I guess. Obviously, I have SAD issues and the move was right for me. But I do miss Portland's much longer growing season, better grocery stores, fun downtown and widespread green. Not enough to move back, but enough to visit occasionally.
You've pretty much nailed the reasons why someplace COLDER in the winter can be a lot more enjoyable of an experience than Portland's "mild" winters.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:54 PM

4 posts, read 16,055 times
Wow! Thank you all so much for these replies to my complaints! I feel better knowing all the company I have, and many of the suggestions are going to be helpful.
SeeBee - I'd love to meet you when you bring over a casserole - do you do vegetarian? I am not working since i got here, that's a problem, but also the result of a problem brought on by the climate and stress. I have lifetime rheumatoid arthritis, which I managed for decades, until now.
I go to a pool twice weekly for aerobics, walk when my body will allow, do my volunteer things, visit my mother in the nursing home, read. My husband and I have gone to the coast several times - most recently to the excellent wine and jazz at Rockaway Beach.
EnricoV - I never said there is nothing to volunteer for - what I have experienced is little to no response/follow-up on my offers to help out. Interestingly, even Rotary Club and Newcomers are apparently too busy to respond.
The ideas for clubs such as sailing, cycling, skiing don't work for me but I'm sure would be great for younger healthier folks.
I would like to try the light box this fall.
We go to the Saturday Market, art festivals, etc - those things that are springing up as the weather warms, but in the gray months it is harder to find outings.
Looks like I just need to plan more trips to Tucson and Sacramento to see family in the winter, and enjoy the heck out of summer.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:31 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Have you tried the library or Oregon Humane Society? Or being a docent at the history or art museums? If you like kids OMSI has great volunteer programs as well.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:56 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by used2Bsunshine View Post
Wow! Thank you all so much for these replies to my complaints! I feel better knowing all the company I have, and many of the suggestions are going to be helpful.
SeeBee - I'd love to meet you when you bring over a casserole - do you do vegetarian? I am not working since i got here, that's a problem, but also the result of a problem brought on by the climate and stress. I have lifetime rheumatoid arthritis, which I managed for decades, until now.
I go to a pool twice weekly for aerobics, walk when my body will allow, do my volunteer things, visit my mother in the nursing home, read. My husband and I have gone to the coast several times - most recently to the excellent wine and jazz at Rockaway Beach.
EnricoV - I never said there is nothing to volunteer for - what I have experienced is little to no response/follow-up on my offers to help out. Interestingly, even Rotary Club and Newcomers are apparently too busy to respond.
I would like to try the light box this fall.
We go to the Saturday Market, art festivals, etc - those things that are springing up as the weather warms, but in the gray months it is harder to find outings.
Looks like I just need to plan more trips to Tucson and Sacramento to see family in the winter, and enjoy the heck out of summer.
Saw this post yesterday, but you plum scared me with this: "...when you bring over a casserole" - I couldn't put a casserole together if I had to!!! I was talking about eating somebody else's casserole...LOL BTW, yes, I am a vegetarian (actually, an 'intermittent' vegan).

I know what you mean about not getting responses from making business contacts. Ever since I moved to Oregon, I've found that to be the case in all types of businesses, volunteer or not. No call backs. It's not very professional, but that's just the way it is here.

Oregon Humane volunteering is great - I did it last year. I actually need to sign up for another 'refresher course' which they offer the beginning of every month, I believe.

I don't know how you manage your arthritis during the winter. Hope you can find something to help you with that.

Planning getaways to Tucson and Sacramento - good ideas to break up the winter. Summer in Oregon is beyond compare, IMO, and it sounds like you are taking full advantage of it!

Old 06-25-2008, 02:27 PM

5 posts, read 11,346 times
Since it does rain several months out of the year, do you find yourself inside more or do you say "the heck with it" and just go outside anyway.

The rain can get me down too but I know that it is what makes Oregon beautiful. I would think that I would stay in for the first week or so and then go crazy and just go out, regardless.

What do you Oregonians do?

Old 06-25-2008, 04:35 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times
Go out! I think the only ones who stay home are probably the ones who complain the most There's lots to do even when there's bad weather, particularly because it's rarely terrible weather (super hard rain, freezing, etc), it's just drizzly.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:49 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Go out! I think the only ones who stay home are probably the ones who complain the most There's lots to do even when there's bad weather, particularly because it's rarely terrible weather (super hard rain, freezing, etc), it's just drizzly.
Amen to that! Works for me !!! The OP is very active, and RH compounds the issue of the weather "just being drizzly" ~ hope someone can come up with an answer for that very debilitating condition!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland