Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 03:21 AM

116 posts, read 459,624 times

Advertisements

Based on previous feedback, I have re-arranged an itinerary for our first visit to Oregon.
Please advise if this is feasible with children aged 7 & 5.
Other suggestions welcome and thanks.

Day 1 (Friday,Aug 1)
Arriving at PDX at 12 noon local time
Checking in around 2pm at our home base in the Mt Hood area.
Touring Mt Hood/Timberline area/Mt Hood Adventure Park with the kids
Evening in Mt Hood area

Day 2 (Saturday, Aug 2):
Columbia River Scenic highway drive to Mt Hood.
Visit Hood River area/Wildwood Recreation/Trout Farm for some fishing
with the kids...

Day 3 – Sunday, Aug 3
Mountain Activities with kids

Day 4 (Monday, Aug 4) : Mt St Helens and back to Portland for rest of day.
If time allows, do some Portland sightseeing tour: Air Tram/Pearl and NW
Districts and spend night in Portland at Embassy Suites – downtown

Day 5 (Tuesday, Aug 5)
Head to Astoria early am—do activities there most of day/Spend night
in Seaside

Day 6
Do Cannon Beach/ rent funcycles and ride on the beach.
Whale watchjng at Ecola St. Park
Hiking from Ecola to Indian Beach
Cannon Beach downtown
Haystack Rock : Tidepools
Spend night in Seaside

Day 7
Tillamook/Three Capes Drive/- then head to Depoe Bay in evening.
(First-night stay in Depoe Bay)

Day 8 (Friday, Aug 8)
Do rest of Central Coast from DB to Yachats.
Do Newport areas' tourist attractions and main points of interest : Marine
Science Center in South Beach (across the bay), which is free; Devil Punch’s
Bowl, Yaquina Head Lighthouse, Yaquina Bay Lighthouse, Bay front/Port
Dock 1 for Sea Lions, Nye Beach in Newport, Cape Perpetua, Heceta Head
Lighthouse,Yachats Coastline and back in evening to Depoe Bay for 2nd/last
night stay

Day 9 (Saturday, Aug 9)
Check out early from DB and Head South to Florence to do dune buggy and then towards Gold Beach (Jet Boat ride) and head back up towards Portland
Spend night in Eugene (Free stay).

Day 10 (Sunday, Aug 10)
Head to Portland early am from Eugene/Do Portland sightseeing tour
Washington Park/Rose Gardens/Japanese Gardens/Streetcars and spend night
at Embassy Suites at PDX

Day 11 (Monday, Aug 11)
Flight back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:47 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,575,726 times
If your kids are at least middle school age that is do-able, if I were to cut anything cut Astoria. Astoria is a great stop but with a schedule as full as this I would leave it for the next time. If your children are younger you are running around WAY too much.

It looks to me that you are going Mt. Hood (stay at Timberline Lodge, or at least eat dinner there), walking around the mtn area, drive to Hood River via Parkdale, hence down the Columbia River Gorge (stop at fish hatchery, Bonneville Dam, Multnomah Falls), back to Portland. Day trip to Mt. St. Helens. Then I would go to Seaside, head south until Florence, then over to Eugene and back up to PDX.

Be sure to bring sweaters and wind breakers as weather at the beach can be brisk.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:37 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,363 times
With kids 7 and 5 this is WAY WAY too packed. You might want to cut out some of the driving activities and spend a day at OMSI or doing some other kid fun things in Portland or the general area. You might also want to hit the aquarium in Newport. I'm an adult and I think this itinerary would exaust me!

Old 07-28-2008, 12:45 PM

OK...

We can cut out the Gold Beach trip for Jet Boat...
If we do that, any other activities either in Florence or nearby for Day 9 after Dune Buggy in Florence to keep us busy for the day?
Will ride to Reedsport to the Dean Creek elk viewing area and the Rogue Umpqua Scenic Byway drive on Hwy 138 work or will it be too much?

Old 07-28-2008, 01:00 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,363 times
If you're doing a tour of Washington park you might also consider stopping at the playground by the rose garden and/or hopping on the zoo train right next to the rose garden and riding to the zoo. Kids absolutely love the train ride. I'm just thinking from the perspective of traveling with my 6 year old. He's great for doing adult stuff as long as we pack some kid stuff in here and there. Most of what you're doing sounds great but maybe not from the 5-7 year old perspective...

Or since you plan on riding the streetcar, stop off at Jamison Square in the Pearl District for some great fountain/water play. It's always packed with kids and fun no matter what time of day you go.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
If you're doing a tour of Washington park you might also consider stopping at the playground by the rose garden and/or hopping on the zoo train right next to the rose garden and riding to the zoo. Kids absolutely love the train ride. I'm just thinking from the perspective of traveling with my 6 year old. He's great for doing adult stuff as long as we pack some kid stuff in here and there. Most of what you're doing sounds great but maybe not from the 5-7 year old perspective...

Or since you plan on riding the streetcar, stop off at Jamison Square in the Pearl District for some great fountain/water play. It's always packed with kids and fun no matter what time of day you go.

Absolutely, we will include these...
However, the zoo may be an entire day alone and we'd want to see other parts of Portland as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland